vs. D-RAYS, 7/01

OFFNY

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

I'm glad they're not playing the odds. Alberto batting 317. While the next two hitters not even batting 180.

.417 vs lefties.   With a .974 OPS.   Before that at bat, he's probably over 1.000 now.

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Only 64 pitches in 4 innings. Based on a tiny sample, Eshelman looks like our #4 starter. :noidea:

Like 30 of them came in the first inning, though.

Also, Villar was safe there. Should have been overturned, but still a terrible baserunning decision yet again.

Just now, Sessh said:

Like 30 of them came in the first inning, though.

Also, Villar was safe there. Should have been overturned, but still a terrible baserunning decision yet again.

I don't get him sometimes.  He reminds me of Ed Reed in a baseball sense.  He takes chances that are high risk, potentially high reward.  

1 minute ago, Surhoffan17 said:

I don't get him sometimes.  He reminds me of Ed Reed in a baseball sense.  He takes chances that are high risk, potentially high reward.  

I think he overestimates his abilities on the bases and it gets him into trouble.

Just now, Surhoffan17 said:

Ed Reed's chances were based on gut instinct honed by countless hours of watching film and studying tendencies and he was right a lot higher percentage of the time than Villar.

(Except for his tendency to try to lateral to someone when he was getting tackled on a return!   Those were bad decisions even when they worked out).

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Well said! Like you, I go back to about 1970 and the # of posts someone has is irrelevant to me. The fact that so many on here think there you know what don't stink keeps me, and I'm sure others from joining in more. I know what I know about this team and I don't feel the need to prove myself. And btw the closest that I've ever lived to Baltimore is the very most western part of Illinois.
    • To me none of that matters. Baker was throwing the ball well.  Had spin and velocity.  Go with that. Again, goes to show how many managers don't go by feel anymore and instead just go by what the book says.
    • You will get used to that around here.  The people saying you can't say anything about the Os unless you have played baseball for 20 years or been an Os fan for 50 years.   Bottom line is Baker, as mediocre as he is, was actually throwing the ball pretty well.  His pitches has spin and velocity and he had just struck out his last batter. To take him out for a complete and utter scrub?  And I say scrub in the best way possible?  Was ridiculous. Hyde was playing text book/by the book baseball instead of actually MANAGING BASEBALL by instinct and feels. And he got burned for it.  And it has not been the first time. 
    • Brecht has TOR upside.  We’re good at finding #3-#5 types just in developing them, but we need that TOR arm upside and develop. 
    • I thought Baker had a better chance of getting a strikeout. Even though he created that mess it looked like he could have worked out of it.  Generally not in favor of bringing in guys for bases loaded situations unless they’re absolute nails and have an extremely high K rate.  Akin’s K rate is higher this year but I still don’t believe he was the better option than Baker. 
    • We’ve been picking really athletic types when not picking high in rd 1. Position player wise.   2023 - EBJ, Horvath, Josenberger, Cunningham, Etzel Not that are prior picks haven’t been athletic, if you know what I’m trying to say. We don’t take plodders as position players. 
  • Popular Contributors