Adley Rutschman 2019

Greg Pappas

I agree.  The Os are going to slow-play AR's development so it is highly likely that AR starts next season at Delmarva.  

Look at someone like Bohm of the Phillies - drafted third overall last year.  He started in Low A this year and is doing well at AA.  AR will likely be on a similar path - maybe starting 2021 in AAA.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I agree.  The Os are going to slow-play AR's development so it is highly likely that AR starts next season at Delmarva.  

Look at someone like Bohm of the Phillies - drafted third overall last year.  He started in Low A this year and is doing well at AA.  AR will likely be on a similar path - maybe starting 2021 in AAA.

Or you could let him finish out this season at Delmarva and start him in Frederick next season.

Bohm had an OPS around .600 in 29 games in short season A ball last year. 

48 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I agree AR should be at a higher level, but my son and I are going to see the Ironbirds in Staten Island this week so, technically, I think AR needs a little more NYPenn League seasoning, you know, maybe one more series.

We are also likely to see the Ironbirds finish the season in Hudson Valley if anyone is going to any of those games.

I think the mono situation was underrated. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, weams said:

I think so too.    The difference over the last couple of weeks has been like night and day.    

I think he’ll start in Frederick next year regardless of where he finishes this year.    Just like Wieters did.    

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2019 at 4:00 PM, Luke-OH said:

There's no "bad" or "ugly" swings, even the couple whiffs, he's right on the ball. He gets the barrel or close to it on almost every pitch he swings at in the video. He doesn't drop his hands or roll over. He consistently lifts the ball. He stays connected. The only negative thing I noticed was he looks noticeably skinnier (especially in the legs) than in college, so I wonder how much weight he lost with the mono. 

I think the mono thing was the big culprit to his slow start. I didn't realize he had that and it certainly explains his long layoff after being drafted and then the slow start against subpar competition for him.

• Upvote 2

On 8/17/2019 at 2:38 PM, OrioleDog said:

There's 2 weeks plus Labor Day left in Delmarva's season - if the Shorebirds are going to get him for the Sally Postseason, it seems like this upcoming week would be at latest the time to move him so he could have a little time to acclimate.

Skimming Delmarva's roster, Ben Breazeale and Cody Roberts are the active catchers - neither looks like they have had that great a year, and the position seems to have been a time share (3 guys with 42/39/66 games played), so I guess that makes a move like this a little bit less of a tough ask in the clubhouse.

I like Breazeale as a game caller, but he really is pretty poor at most other aspects of defensive catching. I'd like to see Rutschman get sent up for the playoffs, but the organization might think that's not fair to the guys who have been there all year. 

1 hour ago, POR said:

This is very true.  Andrew Vaughn is in High A and a couple high school players from the 2019 draft are in full season ball already.

None of that will matter next year when Rutschman will most likely start the year in High-A and be at AA for at least half a season next year. It would not surprise me if he starts the year in AA either, but that doesn't seem like Elias' M.O.

57 minutes ago, weams said:

Well I don't know if it was "underrated" or just not known by most. I know I didn't know about the mono until I was reading through this thread today (Not sure how I missed it but I did). To me, that totally explains the long prep after signing and the slow start. Now that he appears to be fully healthy, he's hitting the way we expected against NY-Penn League pitching.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I like Breazeale as a game caller, but he really is pretty poor at most other aspects of defensive catching. I'd like to see Rutschman get sent up for the playoffs, but the organization might think that's not fair to the guys who have been there all year.

I do think that’s a consideration.   Roberts has only been on the Shorebirds in the second half, following Daniel Fajardo’s promotion.   Neither he nor Breazeale have hit much, but you can’t knock the team’s results.   Not an easy call.   

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well I don't know if it was "underrated" or just not known by most. I know I didn't know about the mono until I was reading through this thread today (Not sure how I missed it but I did). To me, that totally explains the long prep after signing and the slow start. Now that he appears to be fully healthy, he's hitting the way we expected against NY-Penn League pitching.

The mono thing was reported by Roch back on July 11.    I think it explains a lot.    In any event, he seems to be back at full strength now.