O’s are paying $50.5 million for 2019

AceKing

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you want to talk about the insurance companies paying some of the salaries you have to consider how much in premiums the team is spending. 

From what I've read, it's quite a bit more for pitchers, as they are more prone to injury. So, compared to Cobb, Trump is finally a bargain.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Do you have a cite for this? What do you mean by most? 

The way these insurance contracts work, the coverage doesn't begin until the player has been out for a while (not sure how long). If the player comes back and goes back on the IL again, the waiting period starts over. Since Cobb was on the active roster for a bit, less of his season is covered than Trumbo's. 

I don't have a cite for this. I am presuming that the O's don't sign players to big contracts if they can't get them insured. That would be crazy.

35 minutes ago, AceKing said:

For 3 contracts of Davis, Cobb, and Trumbo.

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-baltimore-orioles-info/

My question is - Are the Orioles on the hook for all of this themselves?  Is there some insurance that kicks in at all for these guys?

What a heartbreaking situation.  It’s actually mind boggling at this point.

The Orioles have had terrible luck with their big contracts. 

19 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

The way these insurance contracts work, the coverage doesn't begin until the player has been out for a while (not sure how long). If the player comes back and goes back on the IL again, the waiting period starts over. Since Cobb was on the active roster for a bit, less of his season is covered than Trumbo's. 

I don't have a cite for this. I am presuming that the O's don't sign players to big contracts if they can't get them insured. That would be crazy.

I'd like to know the truth of how this is structured. Maybe we can ask it. I would think it would be a better "blog" than Stevie Wilkerson's seven nicknames. Or "Is Brandon Hyde on the Hot Seat?"

16 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The Orioles have had terrible luck with their big contracts. 

Pitchers break more often than a 1978 Alfa Romeo, so Cobb wasn't completely unexpected.  Davis and Trumbo were at the far end of the defensive spectrum and signed well into their 30s.  Perhaps the magnitude of their failure was worse than you might have guessed, but I wouldn't blame it all on it luck.

If you want to avoid bad, large contracts you might start by avoiding players with high risk profiles.

I thought I read somewhere...that after the Albert Belle contract, MLB teams had a much harder time insuring large contracts.  And I would imagine pitchers are the toughest to insure...

MLB Team:  I'd like to insure my multi million dollar investment.

Insurance Agent Weams:  What is the value of your investment? And what does it do?

MLB Team:  It's a $100M+ Pitcher

Insurance Agent Weams:  Pitchers ALWAYS break!