Mariners set to sign Ichiro to 5-year deal

MPK76

Looks like Ichiro won't hit the free agent market. It looks like it will be close to $100 million for 5 years!! What kind of impact could that have on the rest of the free agents this coming offseason?

The club is on the verge of locking up Ichiro, its All-Star outfielder whose contract was set to expire after the season, to a five-year contract extension, The Seattle Times has learned. Indications are the deal will approach $100 million and could be announced Friday.

An agreement is said to be imminent. Though it is not yet signed, all sides appear to be in agreement in principle on the parameters of the deal, which would run through the 2012 season.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003783037_webichiro10.html

Looks like Ichiro won't hit the free agent market. It looks like it will be close to $100 million for 5 years!! What kind of impact could that have on the rest of the free agents this coming offseason?

The Seattle GM getting committed, leaving all other general managers afraid of what might happen if they spend.

Good GOD. $20 Mil. per for 5 years??? :eek: Are they expecting his speed to still be there when he's almost 40?? :confused:

The Seattle GM getting committed, leaving all other general managers afraid of what might happen if they spend.

If they spend?? Bavasi has already commited $206.5 Mil. to just 5 guys. (Adrian Beltre, Richie Sexson, Jarrod Washburn, Miguel Batista and Jose Vidro)

I heard that it's between 5/90 and 5/100. One thing with Ichiro that has to be considered is he has more of a financial impact on the Mariners than the vast majority of players have on their teams.

In a baseball sense this contract is bordering on loony. I know all the arguments - Ichiro isn't a normal guy, he's super-conditioned, and has an insane work ethic so he's going to age slowly. I guess that's possible. But it's also possible that when he inevitably loses a step, and he will, no doubt, everyone does... he's going to go from a .333/.379/.429 player to a .300/.350/.390 player. Pair that up with good defense and baserunning and that's not a bad player, but it's only a click or two up from Jay Payton. Even in today's market $18M or $20M is the going rate for a great player, not Jay Payton-plus.

But maybe the Mariners have done some market research and think he's worth a $10M premium per year just for the fans, money, and exposure he brings the team. And maybe they're right.

In a baseball sense this contract is bordering on loony. I know all the arguments - Ichiro isn't a normal guy, he's super-conditioned, and has an insane work ethic so he's going to age slowly. I guess that's possible. But it's also possible that when he inevitably loses a step, and he will, no doubt, everyone does... he's going to go from a .333/.379/.429 player to a .300/.350/.390 player. Pair that up with good defense and baserunning and that's not a bad player, but it's only a click or two up from Jay Payton. Even in today's market $18M or $20M is the going rate for a great player, not Jay Payton-plus.

But maybe the Mariners have done some market research and think he's worth a $10M premium per year just for the fans, money, and exposure he brings the team. And maybe they're right.

Thats the only way I can see them justifying this contract.

Wasn't Ichiro concerned about the Mariner's lack of contending? I know they're in it now, but demanding such a massive contract isn't going to make it any easier for the M's to sign the missing pieces they need to overtake the Angels.

This contract is bad, but it's not that bad considering the effect he likely has on their revenue. Just as a ballplayer, and considering the market, 5/65 seems about right. So 5M a year for his marketability.

Archived