Dillon Tate, Evan Phillips up; Scott optioned, Means to IL

LA2

54 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Wonder who replaces Means in the rotation. Akin's the only guy at AAA. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the Orioles get a pitcher they can plug into the rotation in a deadline deal. 

Straily is at Norfolk and has pitched well lately I believe.

They won't make a deadline deal to fill one turn through the rotation in the middle of a 100+ loss season.   They will only deal for guys who have longterm potential.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Watching Tate will be interesting, but I could do without another look at Phillips.

Hidden under that 7.85 ERA are some tantalizing facts, like 27 K in 18.33 IP and only one homer yielded. SSS, for sure, but....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

25 and in AA. Not expecting much. Kline was even better last year in AA and look at him.  

I’m not “expecting” anything, just interested to get a look at the guy.   I think Kline has potential.    He’s short on experience thanks to his injuries and was rushed a bit.    Tate doesn’t have the injury history, and you’re right that on paper there’s no reason to think he’ll have any more success than Kline.    But, youneverknow.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not “expecting” anything, just interested to get a look at the guy.   I think Kline has potential.    He’s short on experience thanks to his injuries and was rushed a bit.    Tate doesn’t have the injury history, and you’re right that on paper there’s no reason to think he’ll have any more success than Kline.    But, youneverknow.

The stuff is a little better than Kline. Velocity is similar but I prefer Tate's secondaries. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He'd be claimed. 

Maybe, but would that be any meaningful loss? He’s been really bad for us over his entire time here. Has he shown anything that suggests we should look past what he has done so far? You have expert eyes, do you think we should keep him?

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m very interested in getting a look at Tate.   He’s done very well since moving to the bullpen.   

Me too. Whether he’s been bad or good so far, he’s ours and we may as well give him some mound time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Wagner and one of those ML OFers aren’t stopping you from getting anyone. Kjerstad for Eovaldi is horrendous.
    • Perhaps he should be in the MVP conversation now. This Yahoo article has him #5 in the race. Not too shabby. https://sports.yahoo.com/checking-in-on-the-mlb-mvp-races-which-players-have-added-their-names-to-the-mix-through-the-first-third-of-the-season-213000493.html  
    • Never really thought about Mountcastle making it but when I did my voting was like he is right there because 1st base is one of weaker positions in todays game.  
    • In the ongoing discussion of CF targets, there is always the possibility that Cowser becomes the CF moving forward.  He's shown great improvement this season over what we saw last year.  Naturally, that would open another hole in LF, though LF is easier to fill than CF.  I prefer Cowser in LF, as it's a large territory to cover and he does a great job doing it, but that doesn't mean the idea of his taking over in CF is invalid.  The hope is that Mullins regains a facsimile of his prior form and puts this discussion on the backburner.  Keyword=hope... but I don't think any of us are counting on it.
    • It is amazing how little fanfare he gets on this site.  He does not make the flashy play like Gunnar at short but is the steady force that I think this team revolves around.  It is not a coincidence that this team started winning immediately when he was promoted.
    • It's major 'X' news (formerly known as twitter... there now I feel like a journalist) when Basallo gets pulled out of a game as a precaution.  It also seems like something more common than for other players.  So I did an 'X' search on "Basallo+Removed" and I found 6 instances (4 this year and 2 last year).  So I dug a little bit more...  (Most recent to oldest): June 15, pulled for a "bruised right ankle"?  He was 0-6 going into extra innings.  He wasn't HBP... so was it a running thing, foul ball?  I don't know.  I didn't watch that game.  But the 0-6 is what stands out to me. May 21, pulled for blacking a ball and it hitting his Thumb.  He was 2-4 with HR so this one is understandable... but this is the only one that seems 'normal' for "The rest of the players"... May 19, removed for "Feeling Dizzy".  Was 0-2 May 2, removed for "HBP".  Was 0-2 8/25/23, removed for "Concussion Precautions" after foul tip to the mask.  Was...  0-2 7/22/23, removed for "Leg Muscle Spasms".  Was 0-1 So... I have never been an 18 & 19 YO teenager in another country but it seems to me that they are being VERY cautious with Basallo and pulling him at anything that may impact his health (yes, I am referencing MENTAL & PHYSICAL).  I don't have any other player being handled this gingerly.   We are all excited about Basallo's ranking and potential, but are we not putting enough reality checks into his ability to stay healthy or his ability to handle challenges? I think about Willems and he was handled a little carefully that first 1 to 18 months.  But then with Basallo passing him up, he has realized he needs to play hurt.  Ardoin has taken a back seat and hit in face with a FB... he jumped back in ASAP and has played hurt I am certain.  Handley caught a FB in his face mask and wasn't removed for "Concussion Precautions" until he couldn't stand 2 innings later. So, I don't believe that Basallo has the toughness to stay behind the dish... unless it is truly management protecting their asset more than the others. The other unknown to me is, does Basallo have any ability to call a good game?  Ardoin has the family legacy and I'm certain his father has had some historical input on game calling/management.  Handley was known to call his own games at Stanford his Sophomore/Junior seasons...   Pavalony had Virginia but I don't know if he called games there.  Willems was out of HS.  With the pitch clock is there enough time to double relay calls from the dugout?
    • It does matter if you are trying to fill multiple holes. That is tough. Maybe try to work something with Texas for Eovaldi. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now