Orioles set MLB Record

weams

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

The opponent has something to do with it.  In April, NYY and OAK both tagged the O's for 10 total HRs in back-to-back games; MIN went 1 better hitting 11 HRs in the 4/20 DH.  For the season against the O's, NY and OAK average 3 HR/G and MIN is just under 4/G (3.83).   The O's get NYY for 7 games in August to finish the season series with them.

Mike Wright might have had something to do with it too ?

21 hours ago, bobmc said:

Wow!  Not the NYY nor the TC?  wtf????  Let's go set an unbreakable standard (#worstteamofalltime)

Now @DrungoHazewood is this some flimsy "MLB record" that doesn't go back far enough?  #alternatefacts

It's a home run record.  With the rates this year and recently you could round off the number of homers hit before, say, WWII to zero.  Renato Nunez has more homers than 10 separate teams had over entire years from 1920-40.  Prior to that many years you could lead the league with 13 homers, and occasionally a team would have less than 10 in a year.  And half those were inside the park.

Very occasionally you'd have a team that looked like one from today, but that was almost always because they were playing in some park with a 220' fence.  See: 1884 Chicago White Stockings, 1894-95 minor league Minneapolis Millers.  If the 2019 Twins played in the 1884 White Sox park they'd hit 500 homers.

Almost all home run and strikeout records have been set in the last 30-40 years.

11 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's a home run record.  With the rates this year and recently you could round off the number of homers hit before, say, WWII to zero.  Renato Nunez has more homers than 10 separate teams had over entire years from 1920-40.  Prior to that many years you could lead the league with 13 homers, and occasionally a team would have less than 10 in a year.  And half those were inside the park.

Very occasionally you'd have a team that looked like one from today, but that was almost always because they were playing in some park with a 220' fence.  See: 1884 Chicago White Stockings, 1894-95 minor league Minneapolis Millers.  If the 2019 Twins played in the 1884 White Sox park they'd hit 500 homers.

Almost all home run and strikeout records have been set in the last 30-40 years.

The 1986 Cardinals had 58 home runs, led by Andy Van Slyck’s 13. And that’s in many of our lifetimes. The Yankees hit 47 this June. 

I don’t even know if they were terribly low (probably), I just went there due to RBI Baseball (which was 1987 for the Cardinals, they had 94 HR). 

13 hours ago, makoman said:

The 1986 Cardinals had 58 home runs, led by Andy Van Slyck’s 13. And that’s in many of our lifetimes. The Yankees hit 47 this June. 

I don’t even know if they were terribly low (probably), I just went there due to RBI Baseball (which was 1987 for the Cardinals, they had 94 HR). 

The record for fewest homers in a season in my lifetime (1971-, not counting strike/lockout years) is 49, by the 1979 Astros.  Since '96 there have only been six teams that failed to hit 100, led by the '11 Padres with 91. 

The 1906 White Sox won the World Series and hit seven homers all year.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:56 PM, VaBird1 said:

That is a good argument for Mike Wright to use at arbitration.

But Wright was versatile -- he gave up runs in all kinds of ways, not relying solely on the long ball and (my impression) saving his HR pitches for big moments in the game.

Archived