Trade Value Expectations

Greg Pappas

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Wow!  Just wow.  Grenier?  I could argue why you are being wildly optimistic on any of these guys not only on the two year timetable (except for Bannon) but also being as good as Villar.   Grenier is looking like a big time bust.  He struck out 33% of the time in low A ball.  We aren't talking Joey Hallo here.  He has a long, long road ahead.  Or a short road out of organized ball.  He needs a complete overhaul.

Ok. Just my thoughts. You must be high on Villar, I'm not. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

IMO Mancini will return a multiple player package that includes a highly touted guy. I wouldn't deal him for less that 3 of a teams top 30 that includes a top 100. There is no pressure to deal him and the price should be high.

I would say Villar is worth a Organizational top 10 and a 2nd player.

today

https://twitter.com/jsbearr/status/1155814364462637061?s=20

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It doesn't mean I'm high on Villar.  It means your in fantasyland regarding our middle infield prospects.  To even suggest that Grenier could replace Villar, even if you hate Villar, is preposterous. It would take a miracle. Get out your rosary beads.

We will talk in two years!

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha. Okay.  You have yet to make any substantial defense of Grenier being a viable replacement in 5 years, let alone 2 years.

Yep. We will see what he does. He might have been a total miss. How are you on Carmona?

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

IMO Mancini will return a multiple player package that includes a highly touted guy. I wouldn't deal him for less that 3 of a teams top 30 that includes a top 100. There is no pressure to deal him and the price should be high.

I would say Villar is worth a Organizational top 10 and a 2nd player.

Agree here. Folks are wildly underprojecting what Mancini could bring in a trade, IMO.  The peripherals back up his play this year so there's not a lot of reason to worry about his production. But it sounds like he's unlikely to go anyway, and that's fine too. 

I thought Jon Shepherd was writing his book and not plugged in. Hmm. 

12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Most here are really down on Villar for some reason

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Because he makes really stupid mindless mistake all the time.

He really doesn’t make that many mistakes, but the ones he makes are very noticeable.   He’s 22/28 in steals, 79% which is quite good.    Otherwise, he’s only made 2 outs on the bases, which is a low figure.       He’s advanced an extra base on a single or a double 60% of the time, which is well above average.  BB-ref has him at +3 on the bases.  

Really, about the worst you can say is that he occasionally tries for an extra base or a steal in situations where it doesn’t make sense.    But you’d be hard pressed to identify five times where that happened this year, and when it did, he was probably successful more than half the time anyway.    

As to his defense, I can’t think of anything particularly harebrained that he’s done.    

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

He really doesn’t make that many mistakes, but the ones he makes are very noticeable.   He’s 22/28 in steals, 79% which is quite good.    Otherwise, he’s only made 2 outs on the bases, which is a low figure.       He’s advanced an extra base on a single or a double 60% of the time, which is well above average.  BB-ref has him at +3 on the bases.  

Really, about the worst you can say is that he occasionally tries for an extra base or a steal in situations where it doesn’t make sense.    But you’d be hard pressed to identify five times where that happened this year, and when it did, he was probably successful more than half the time anyway.    

As to his defense, I can’t think of anything particularly harebrained that he’s done.    

Agree!

Whoever gets him will also get him as he's tapping into his power, which he has been working on over the last month or so with some stance adjustments, etc. He's a pretty good player.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agree!

Whoever gets him will also get him as he's tapping into his power, which he has been working on over the last month or so with some stance adjustments, etc. He's a pretty good player.

Good enough for Elias to spend 7m on next season?

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Good enough for Elias to spend 7m on next season?

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's good enough to be worth $7m+, sure, but Elias won't be spending that on him. 

If he’s good enough to be worth that, then you tender him a contract and trade him later if your goal is to lower payroll.     Judging from last year’s FA market, I do think he’s worth $7 mm and some team would be glad to have him at that salary.   

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Has anyone heard what the Blue Jays got back for Sogard? If the Orioles are are able to trade Villar I would expect slightly less. I think Sogard's versatility and defense makes him more valuable. 

I dunno. Sogard is about as smoke-and-mirrors-y as Hanser Alberto. I feel like we should get more Villar. 

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Villar is a player for a bad team. He was with the bad Astros, and when they got good, they sent him to the bad Brewers, who dumped him on the bad Orioles. He makes mental defense mistakes that don’t show up in the box score. I think he should be traded because otherwise we’ll non-tender him and get nothing, but I don’t think he has any real value. Any trade would just be avoiding the November tender question.