Chris Davis, 2019

OFFNY

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

They should start him in away games so he faces major league pitchers. If he doesn't travel, he won't see an experienced starter until the last week or so of ST.

I don’t think this is really accurate.   The teams tend to get their expected starters into rotation pretty early on, and frequently they’ll travel if their pitching day falls on a day when they’re on the road.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think this is really accurate.   The teams tend to get their expected starters into rotation pretty early on, and frequently they’ll travel if their pitching day falls on a day when they’re on the road.    

I'd still make Davis play on all the travel days.  Oriole fans shouldn't be subjected to watching him play.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I would have him on the bench every game until he said uncle to a buyout of the rest of his deal. 

I'm pretty sure Davis would be ok with that while collecting $23M per season. To shame Davis into retirement you would need to expose him by batting him leadoff or turn him into the Orioles opener. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm pretty sure Davis would be ok with that while collecting $23M per season. To shame Davis into retirement you would need to expose him by batting him leadoff or turn him into the Orioles opener. 

Put him in the lineup as the DH every game and pinch hit for him in his first at bat.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Put him in the lineup as the DH every game and pinch hit for him in his first at bat.

Can't do that one thanks to Earl. 

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/stories-behind-weirdly-specific-mlb-rules-c219761964

Rule 5.11(a)(2): The Designated Hitter named in the starting lineup must come to bat at least one time, unless the opposing club changes pitchers.
It's only fitting that Earl Weaver would inspire his very own rule -- after all, he once thoroughly ripped up a rulebook in front of an umpire just to make a point.
Sadly, though, the Earl Weaver Rule doesn't involve paper-shredding of any kind. It instead involves the DH, which was established in the American League in 1973 as Weaver was beginning his sixth season as manager of the Orioles. At the time, the new position came with just one stipulation: The designated hitter had to be selected prior to the game and included in the lineup cards presented to the home-plate umpire. Naturally, it didn't take long for Weaver to find himself a loophole.

Rather than simply naming a DH in good faith, Weaver would pencil in a pitcherhe had no intention of using that day -- only to send up whichever hitter he actually wanted when that spot in the lineup came around. The move allowed Weaver to choose from his entire bench, picking the ideal batter depending on the game situation.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Can't do that one thanks to Earl. 

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/stories-behind-weirdly-specific-mlb-rules-c219761964

Rule 5.11(a)(2): The Designated Hitter named in the starting lineup must come to bat at least one time, unless the opposing club changes pitchers.
It's only fitting that Earl Weaver would inspire his very own rule -- after all, he once thoroughly ripped up a rulebook in front of an umpire just to make a point.
Sadly, though, the Earl Weaver Rule doesn't involve paper-shredding of any kind. It instead involves the DH, which was established in the American League in 1973 as Weaver was beginning his sixth season as manager of the Orioles. At the time, the new position came with just one stipulation: The designated hitter had to be selected prior to the game and included in the lineup cards presented to the home-plate umpire. Naturally, it didn't take long for Weaver to find himself a loophole.

Rather than simply naming a DH in good faith, Weaver would pencil in a pitcherhe had no intention of using that day -- only to send up whichever hitter he actually wanted when that spot in the lineup came around. The move allowed Weaver to choose from his entire bench, picking the ideal batter depending on the game situation.

I know, it was just a silly little joke.

Not only would he not have an intention of using the pitcher, sometimes the pitcher wouldn't even be in the same city as the team.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Then at least we have a better chance of winning with him just an ornament on the bench.  I am halfway serious.  I would give him zero playing time this spring and into the season.  He can get his money but I am doing what is best to win as many games as possible.  With a 26th slot, we could do it with zero difference from last year’s 25. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Then at least we have a better chance of winning with him just an ornament on the bench.  I am halfway serious.  I would give him zero playing time this spring and into the season.  He can get his money but I am doing what is best to win as many games as possible.  With a 26th slot, we could do it with zero difference from last year’s 25. 

I'm in favor of this if ownership won't allow Elias to release Davis. With 26 rosters spots your idea makes sense. 

9 hours ago, tntoriole said:

When winning becomes a priority, Davis will be gone.