I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

15 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

This elegantly states how I feel about it. Thanks. 

The Orioles, at best, win 70 games next year. Villar is a free agent after next year. So why pay a player $10M to win zero championships? Economically, I get it.

Villar is definitely not worth 4WAR; it’s completely uncharacteristic of his entire career, except for one season three years ago, which if not flukey still makes him inconsistent at best.

All of that is a decent enough case for me to say roll with Martin and Hanser up the middle and sign someone else to fill in.

”If the Orioles aren’t going to pay for good players then I’m not going to watch or go to games or spend money” ... honestly, just hush. You didn’t go last year when Villar was in the middle of his amazing incredible 4 win season, you aren’t going this year. And if you did last year, then you’ll go this year anyway because apparently you didn’t learn your lesson.

He had 3.7 war just a couple of seasons ago ....So he's a 3 WAR player if you throw out the bad season over the last 4. The whole bolded statement is wrong!

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I'm not worried about me. I fell in love with baseball a long time ago and will continue to watch it.

I just think it is bad for the long term health of the sport when only a third of the teams are actively trying to win at any given time, and in the periods when they aren't trying to win, don't want to have any players that make more than the minimum salary. I think that is not a good way to grow the game and build future fans

Yeah its destroying the game. I don't see how they can't have a salary floor next CBA.  Along with a draft lottery.  Just put every team that doesn't make the playoffs in it and every team gets an equal chance of the #1 pick of those teams. 

I think a lot of these ivy league guys coming into the game have no respect for baseball.  

People are ignoring a few posts in this thread. I’ll summarize.

Some are hearing that the Os have some offers they like now. By putting him on waivers, the offering team(s) might risk losing him. If true, the Os putting him on waivers is to squeeze the best offer we can.

So it sounds like he’s being traded. Hopefully we get a good return.

3 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I completely agree with you. But that is the natural course that the current structure of MLB compensation was set up to become.  The MLBPA has not done enough to ensure that players are paid, and in fact have done more harm than good. And on the flip side I don’t expect owners to be charity cases even when they can afford it. This is all the result of poor negotiation by the MLBPA and it should be torn down and redesigned. 

Put in the salary floor.

Tanking is a symptom and not a problem.

Yup, it is a completely rational decision that the Orioles made.

It is an MLB problem not an Orioles problem.

Mike Elias has almost no interest in whether the six year-old potential fan ends up becoming a season ticket holder in twenty years. That is a problem for the long term health of the sport.

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He had 3.7 war just a couple of seasons ago ....So he's a 3 WAR player if you throw out the bad season over the last 4. The whole bolded statement is wrong!

Villar was are only position player of quality.  Mancini was so terrible in the field that anything he brought with the bat was negated in my view.  You can't be a winner with Mancini in the outfield.  

But you know what with all this releasing a good player like Villar the least they could do is release Chris Davis.  There is zero point of having him on the team.  The current owners only see the team as a dollar and cents proposition.  Having Chris Davis on the team saves them $550k a year over having a player making the league minimum. 

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Uh I pointed that out?

You said he's not a 4 WAR player. In the juiced ball era he is. We've seen no evidence that they will be downgrading the ball.

He's had 3.9 and 4.0 in 2 of the last 4 seasons. And the third was 2.7....He had 1 bad year

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Some are hearing that the Os have some offers they like now. By putting him on waivers, the offering team(s) might risk losing him. If true, the Os putting him on waivers is to squeeze the best offer we can.

But if exactly one of those teams claims him on waivers we lose him for nothing, right?

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Hope your right ...Im not confident!

Can you share some links that say a deal is close? I haven't read any ?

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

You said he's not a 4 WAR player. In the juiced ball era he is. We've seen no evidence that they will be downgrading the ball.

He's had 3.9 and 4.0 in 2 of the last 4 seasons. And the third was 2.7....He had 1 bad year

4.0+3.9+2.7/3=3.53.  Even cherry picking your stats he's not a 4 win guy.

If he's viewed as a 4 win guy why haven't the O's found a trade partner yet?

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yes, that's the risk part. 

This makes 

9 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

That makes zero sense. If a team wants him they claim him off waivers and the Orioles get nothing.  Or they wait until he is a free agent and they sign him to a contract.  

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Yep, you’re 100% right. He’s a 4 WAR player. Everyone must agree with you because he’d be making that easy $10M and not being shot through waivers, untouched at the trade deadline and no biters at the GM meetings. A real hot commodity, that Jonathan Villar.

• Like 1