Connolly: Hobgood and Jordan

weams

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Thought you got the boot from your old job?

I got the boot, a nice retirement check, 2 months severance and they paid me for my vacation time.

So I took the summer off, enjoyed myself, and got a phone call and a job offer, that I couldn't refuse, and I decided to work for a bit more, before I ride off into the sunset for good.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They gave people a choice: what they were used to and had laying around everywhere, or the new thing that was hard to get and half the machines didn't work with.  People are obsessively attached to what they're used to, even if there's no good reason for it.  

If they wanted it to work they should have taken away all the dollar bills and replaced them with coins.  

I just got back from Cuba and they have the 1 cuc coin and paper(basically equal to a dollar). Most people gave change back in the coin. I found it more convenient there than I do in the US. 

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It was a little odd being in Germany and Austria the last few weeks and seeing quite a number of cash-only establishments.  I had to go to the ATM more often in two weeks in Europe than I've been in the last six months in the US.

Contrast with Iceland, where I could be three hours from the nearest town of a few thousand people and pay for a hot dog out of a food truck with plastic.  I think the only use for Kroner in Iceland is to pay for the bathroom.

I have been in Netherlands and Belgium the last 2 weeks and I had to use cash at a grocery story in Amsterdam as they didn't take credit cards or debit cards.  And same thing at some cafe at a museum where I ended up having to run to an ATM as I didn't have cash on me. Saw the waitress going around with a credit card machine so assumed they took them.  Turns out only Netherlands debit cards were taken. You would think in this day in age.  At least in Belgium everywhere I went took credit cards. 

I went to Iceland in October once and the guide book said this town had 3 restaurants in it.  First town with anything in about 45 minute drive and turns out all three closed in October.  One had a note on it go to the next town and there is a restaurant open there.  Turned out to be a 4 table restaurant on the edge of the ocean.  Had lunch there and then 5 hours later dinner at the big town. We saw the same couple at lunch and at dinner and the hike we did in between. Small country.  

Next day out in the middle of nowhere see some motel that said it had a restaurant.  Asked someone working there if the restaurant would be open for dinner and she said if we were eating she would call in the chef.  I said great.  Chef came in and made a buffet with 8 different type of fish on it.  Plus salads and vegetables.  Awesome country. 

Germany, Austria and Iceland are all awesome countries.  Hope you enjoyed your trip. 

9 hours ago, atomic said:

I have been in Netherlands and Belgium the last 2 weeks and I had to use cash at a grocery story in Amsterdam as they didn't take credit cards or debit cards.  And same thing at some cafe at a museum where I ended up having to run to an ATM as I didn't have cash on me. Saw the waitress going around with a credit card machine so assumed they took them.  Turns out only Netherlands debit cards were taken. You would think in this day in age.  At least in Belgium everywhere I went took credit cards. 

I went to Iceland in October once and the guide book said this town had 3 restaurants in it.  First town with anything in about 45 minute drive and turns out all three closed in October.  One had a note on it go to the next town and there is a restaurant open there.  Turned out to be a 4 table restaurant on the edge of the ocean.  Had lunch there and then 5 hours later dinner at the big town. We saw the same couple at lunch and at dinner and the hike we did in between. Small country.  

Next day out in the middle of nowhere see some motel that said it had a restaurant.  Asked someone working there if the restaurant would be open for dinner and she said if we were eating she would call in the chef.  I said great.  Chef came in and made a buffet with 8 different type of fish on it.  Plus salads and vegetables.  Awesome country. 

Germany, Austria and Iceland are all awesome countries.  Hope you enjoyed your trip. 

48558077226_88795ebfb0_b.jpg

I did, thanks.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:22 AM, Redskins Rick said:

I agree, stop printing the penny.

I have 1-yen and 10-won coins that have absolutely no use aside from leaving in a hotel room for the cleaning staff or tossing into a busker's guitar or violin case.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:29 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

The younger kids?  Half the time I have like three dollars in my wallet.  I'm 48 and rarely use cash.

Now my parents... I laugh whenever I think of this, but they literally still go to the bank every week or two and write a check to cash to do their shopping.  They don't know their PIN because they never use it.  I think they still write checks at the grocery store.  Do grocery stores still take checks?  My parents are one step removed from paying for the doc to come to their house with goats and homemade grape jelly.

I lived till third grade in Essex and my father, a doctor from South Korea, hung his shingle up in front of our home on Eastern Ave. (next to a Pep Boys and down the block from Taubman's where I always used to go to gawk at the HO model train display). His patients were often laid-off from factories like Bethlehem Steel, Sparrows Point and Martin Marietta and so more than a few times when I went down to the basement office in the morning to turn on the lights and unlock the door I'd see that, instead of paying with the cash they didn't have,  they had left a basket of things like fresh-baked goods, homemade kielbasa, or catfish. Indelible memory, my people too.

On 8/16/2019 at 12:29 PM, LookitsPuck said:

Can we stop the nonsense that Christian kids aren't likely to use steroids. It's balderdash. I really like The Athletic and I reread it, but there's an undertone, maybe from Jordan or Connolly (or both) that because he was a straight edge Christian kid, they didn't think he was capable of such. Bullcrap.

Wally Joyner who is a devout Mormon used.