Connolly: Hobgood and Jordan

weams

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

This is beyond stupid.

NCAA rules for mens basketball, the team can have to 13 scholarships and while there is no max roster limit, I thought most teams average 15 players for a starting lineup requirement of 5.

So baseball has 27 players, and get 11.7 scholarships and a starting lineup of 10.

Beyond crazy.

There is not a huge support for College baseball. Not like Basketball and Football. 

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

This is beyond stupid.

NCAA rules for mens basketball, the team can have to 13 scholarships and while there is no max roster limit, I thought most teams average 15 players for a starting lineup requirement of 5.

So baseball has 27 players, and get 11.7 scholarships and a starting lineup of 10.

Beyond crazy.

The NCAA Tournament TV deal pays the NCAA something like $12 billion from now through 2032. 

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But he got $2.42M.  If he'd gone to college the most likely outcome is that he was still hurt, pitches poorly, loses his scholarship in a year or two, and has to come up with the money to finish school AND he's out $2.42M. 

The only scenario where college was the logical choice for Matt Hobgood was one where he was magically not hurt and you assume he's always going to burn through his entire bonus with nothing to show for it.

There aren't ever many situations where turning down $2.4 million up front works out in your favor but the idea of turning down $2.4 million in the spring of 2009 is silly.  

50 minutes ago, weams said:

Venmo. Apple Pay. 

It was a little odd being in Germany and Austria the last few weeks and seeing quite a number of cash-only establishments.  I had to go to the ATM more often in two weeks in Europe than I've been in the last six months in the US.

Contrast with Iceland, where I could be three hours from the nearest town of a few thousand people and pay for a hot dog out of a food truck with plastic.  I think the only use for Kroner in Iceland is to pay for the bathroom.

48 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Samsung pay, etc, forgot about those, but the main point is still valid, cashless society is what the younger kids are moving to.

The younger kids?  Half the time I have like three dollars in my wallet.  I'm 48 and rarely use cash.

Now my parents... I laugh whenever I think of this, but they literally still go to the bank every week or two and write a check to cash to do their shopping.  They don't know their PIN because they never use it.  I think they still write checks at the grocery store.  Do grocery stores still take checks?  My parents are one step removed from paying for the doc to come to their house with goats and homemade grape jelly.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The younger kids?  Half the time I have like three dollars in my wallet.  I'm 48 and rarely use cash.

Now my parents... I laugh whenever I think of this, but they literally still go to the bank every week or two and write a check to cash to do their shopping.  They don't know their PIN because they never use it.  I think they still write checks at the grocery store.  Do grocery stores still take checks?  My parents are one step removed from paying for the doc to come to their house with goats and homemade grape jelly.

I use a bit more cash than you, not that I don't use plastic quite a bit, but some things like a soda out of the machine, or a coffee refill at 7-11, I just refuse or try to not use plastic.

I also do not like leaving tips on the plastic, and will try and use cash for the tip portion of the bill.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

This is beyond stupid.

Beyond crazy.

My understanding is that those 11 scholarships get halved or so and then the athletes get a whole bunch of grant money or will move onto academic scholarships. Still a pretty good deal for tons of kids.

I just don’t see a player having their scholarship revoked for poor play. That’s barbaric. Not to mention that the way he performed in the minors would have been ok for a college athlete.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:26 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

It was a little odd being in Germany and Austria the last few weeks and seeing quite a number of cash-only establishments.  I had to go to the ATM more often in two weeks in Europe than I've been in the last six months in the US.

Contrast with Iceland, where I could be three hours from the nearest town of a few thousand people and pay for a hot dog out of a food truck with plastic.  I think the only use for Kroner in Iceland is to pay for the bathroom.

After using plastic for almost everything in Seoul, I was surprised to find how many mom 'n pop places in Tokyo only accept cash. It's about avoiding taxes. I never used ATMs in Korea, but I was using them every week in Japan (two months there). Fortunately, they're in every convenience store and my Schwab debit card/checking account refunds even international ATM fees monthly.

Unrelated info: My Venmo account doesn't work outside of the USA, but PayPal does.

11 hours ago, baltfan said:

problem with the PED theory is why wouldn’t he just go back on them?   Clearly,he did want to succeed.  

I have no idea what he did or didn’t do. 

I’m just saying that the second his velocity dipped his baseball future was toast. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I hope you were checking around for the best exchange rate.