Connolly: Hobgood and Jordan

weams

Dang it - the rare Athletic article that I'm actually interested to read and can't.

Hobgood always seemed like a good guy.  And I think Jordan's approach to draft him and save some money to spend on later picks was a sound one.  Unfortunate that it didn't end up working out.  I think his arm was shot from day one.

Yeah, those mid to late 2000s drafts outside of the Wieters pick were disasters. Wheeler was the consensus pick to be the first pitcher selected after Strasburg in 2009 and he would helped the starting rotations in 2013 and 2014 tremendously. The decision to pass on Lincecum wasn't that bad because his peak lasted from 2007-2011 when the Orioles were dreadful. He would have been wasted on bad Orioles teams. Passing on Scherzer OTOH was a massive mistake and probably did cost the Orioles chances to go to the World Series. Also in 2004, the Orioles won a bunch of meaningless games down the stretch in September that cost them the opportunity to draft Jay Bruce or Andrew McCutchen. Those drafts were just one misfortune after the other.

I think the problem with that pick was the prior spike in velocity. It wasn't consistent with what Hobgood had been. People said it was a red flag at the time too. 

I don't know exactly why. I can imagine guys gaining a few ticks pretty quickly as they mature. That's, I assume, what Jordan thought. In the end, we never got the high school kid Jordan saw with the same velocity. It's hard to knock Jordan for wanting the upside. If Hobgood pitched like Jordan expected, he would probably have been a good pick. I think Jordan's knocked for not appropriately weighting the downside in the end.. 

28 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Dang it - the rare Athletic article that I'm actually interested to read and can't.

Hobgood always seemed like a good guy.  And I think Jordan's approach to draft him and save some money to spend on later picks was a sound one.  Unfortunate that it didn't end up working out.  I think his arm was shot from day one.

Hobgood denies the steroid allegations. 

6 minutes ago, weams said:

Hobgood denies the steroid allegations. 

The Orioles conducted a full medical review before signing Hobgood and found nothing untoward. And that means something, given the club’s reputation.

“One thing that people know very well is that the Baltimore Orioles’ medical evaluation and pre-draft or pre-free-agent-signing physical process is pretty stringent. Always has been, and it was during those times,” Jordan said. “So, he went through what everyone else was going to go through that you were gonna give two-and-a-half million dollars to.”

So, what does Jordan think happened?

“I personally believed that he was injured. I’ve always felt that way. It just never showed up. It was the most disheartening thing,” Jordan said. “You’re always at risk when you’re gonna take high school pitching. Hell, that’s not rocket science. But usually, when you see guys two or three weeks before the draft, or even the week of the draft, and (the velocity) is all still there, and then you never see it again, well, I don’t know.”

That brings us back to the dot-connecting theory. The kid threw exceptionally hard when his every move wasn’t monitored as an amateur. Then he didn’t once he was a pro, and the potential of random drug-testing became a reality.

The steroids theory could solve the mystery of Hobgood’s rarely reappearing velocity. And it would clear the Orioles of making a mistake on Hobgood. But Jordan won’t go there.

“I never did think that was in his makeup and DNA to do something like that,” Jordan said. “He was a big kid, but if you really, really got close to him, it wasn’t like he was chiseled or looked like he had been spending a lot of time in the weight room. So, no, I never really considered that. I just think maybe there were shoulder issues that showed up pretty quickly and maybe they were there at the front end of that, and we just didn’t get that part right as well.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

He didn't look like it?

But Bartolo Colon and Dee Gordon both got caught, did they look like it?

I have no idea if he used, but as I said at the time, no way would I use a top 5 pick on a kid that just got in shape for his senior year and had a huge velocity spike.