I appreciate Dylan Bundy for what he is

interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I keep seeing comments about trading or non-tendering Dylan Bundy. And I get it. He's not the ace we thought he was. He has no fastball and a long list of prior injuries and he gives up a lot of dingers.

That said, I'm ready to move past what we hoped Bundy would be and just be glad we're getting what he gives us. Consider:

• 4 straight years over 100 innings. If all goes well the rest of the season, he'll eclipse 150 (hopefully more) the last 3 years.
  • Has tried really hard to adjust how he pitches in order to get the most out of his current stuff. This year he's had to rework his repertoire at age 26 (!) and, all things considered, has found some success doing so. The ball, the park, and the lack of a ML outfield has certainly not helped, but he's doing what he can. Not many young pitchers will own up to the fact that he's going to have to find a way to get by without a good fastball. Credit to him. 
  • Hopefully he'll continue at his current rate and improve upon last years numbers. His WHIP, H/9, HR/9, and ERA have all fallen. His strikeouts and walks have gone slightly the wrong direction, but nothing crazy. He'll post his highest fWAR since 2017, currently at 1.4.
  • For all the talk of his past injuries, they seem to be.. in the past? He's been pretty durable with his 3rd full season in the rotation and starting over 20 games. He should reach 30 or more again this year.
  • Calm, "veteran" presence. He's been through a lot. Injuries, surgery, rehab, high draft pick expectations as a "savior", the playoffs, Buck, and now a rebuild. He's only 26 yet he's carrying a wealth of experience and doing it in a no-nonsense fashion. He takes the hill, he pitches with a plan, he stays in shape, and posts up. In a rebuild, that's honestly a huge value that I think gets underappreciated.
  • Under control until 2022. Look, you're not going to get a whole lot in a trade for Dylan Bundy. I think there's more value to having him around and plugging him into the rotation than there is for the lottery ticket type of return you'll get for him. Maybe he goes on a real nice run and you can do him a solid and get him to a contender in the next year or two if the return is above average. If so, great. But that's not likely, and until the arbitration raises get too much to swallow, there's no rush to move him. 
  • He's a homegrown draft pick who is actually starting games! Wow! For all the failed homegrown starters like Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, Loewen, Hess, etc, here's a guy who actually made it here and is not a total dumpster fire on the mound. There's no 7 ERA, there's no 3 HR/9. Yes, he'll have a clunker now and then, but maintaining a low 5 ERA this season is actually (and sure, sadly) impressive.

I dunno. I like the guy, I've decided. I appreciate his effort and quiet determination out there. I 100% expect him to be a part of this team next year and I think it's a good thing that he will be. 

Good post.  I agree with most all.  I too agree it is likely better to keep him with us or, if he somehow figures out how to be better, then he could be moved for more value at that point. 

I guess I had hoped that some of the Houston style analytics and other adjustments that have vastly improved some of those guys would also have had more of an impact on Dylan but not too much yet. 

His recent health, his cost control, and his attitude and work ethic have all been strengths. 

He is fine for what he is, but, of course, we are going to need much better pitching than we are getting him if we are ever to win anything. 

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

I keep seeing comments about trading or non-tendering Dylan Bundy. And I get it. He's not the ace we thought he was. He has no fastball and a long list of prior injuries and he gives up a lot of dingers.

That said, I'm ready to move past what we hoped Bundy would be and just be glad we're getting what he gives us. Consider:

• 4 straight years over 100 innings. If all goes well the rest of the season, he'll eclipse 150 (hopefully more) the last 3 years.
  • Has tried really hard to adjust how he pitches in order to get the most out of his current stuff. This year he's had to rework his repertoire at age 26 (!) and, all things considered, has found some success doing so. The ball, the park, and the lack of a ML outfield has certainly not helped, but he's doing what he can. Not many young pitchers will own up to the fact that he's going to have to find a way to get by without a good fastball. Credit to him. 
  • Hopefully he'll continue at his current rate and improve upon last years numbers. His WHIP, H/9, HR/9, and ERA have all fallen. His strikeouts and walks have gone slightly the wrong direction, but nothing crazy. He'll post his highest fWAR since 2017, currently at 1.4.
  • For all the talk of his past injuries, they seem to be.. in the past? He's been pretty durable with his 3rd full season in the rotation and starting over 20 games. He should reach 30 or more again this year.
  • Calm, "veteran" presence. He's been through a lot. Injuries, surgery, rehab, high draft pick expectations as a "savior", the playoffs, Buck, and now a rebuild. He's only 26 yet he's carrying a wealth of experience and doing it in a no-nonsense fashion. He takes the hill, he pitches with a plan, he stays in shape, and posts up. In a rebuild, that's honestly a huge value that I think gets underappreciated.
  • Under control until 2022. Look, you're not going to get a whole lot in a trade for Dylan Bundy. I think there's more value to having him around and plugging him into the rotation than there is for the lottery ticket type of return you'll get for him. Maybe he goes on a real nice run and you can do him a solid and get him to a contender in the next year or two if the return is above average. If so, great. But that's not likely, and until the arbitration raises get too much to swallow, there's no rush to move him. 
  • He's a homegrown draft pick who is actually starting games! Wow! For all the failed homegrown starters like Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, Loewen, Hess, etc, here's a guy who actually made it here and is not a total dumpster fire on the mound. There's no 7 ERA, there's no 3 HR/9. Yes, he'll have a clunker now and then, but maintaining a low 5 ERA this season is actually (and sure, sadly) impressive.

I dunno. I like the guy, I've decided. I appreciate his effort and quiet determination out there. I 100% expect him to be a part of this team next year and I think it's a good thing that he will be. 

o

Mildly reminiscent of former 1st-Round draft pick, Ben "Don't Call Me a Bust" McDonald ........

Ben "Don't Call Me a Bust" McDonald

78 career Wins, 24 Complete Games, 6 CG-Shutouts, a career ERA of 3.91, and a career WHIP of 1.257 ........ all the while pitching his entire 9-year career in the American League (with the Designated Hitter), and the last few years having been pitched in the offensively-inflated steroid era.

While McDonald clearly didn't have the Cuellar-like or McNally-like career that we were hoping he would have, I always point out that he also had nowhere near a Rocky Cherry-like career either, and therefore do not lump him in with all of the other complete busts that have come and gone over the years.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mcdonbe01.shtml

o

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

Mildly reminiscent of former 1st-Round draft pick, Ben "Don't Call Me a Bust" McDonald ........

Ben "Don't Call Me a Bust" McDonald

78 career wins, 24 complete games, 6 shutouts, a career ERA of 3.91, and a career WHIP of 1.257 ........ all the while pitching his entire 9-year career in the American League (with the Designated Hitter), and the last few years having been pitched in the offensively-inflated steroid era.

While McDonald clearly didn't have the Cuellar-like or McNally-like career that we were hoping he would have, I always point out that he also had nowhere near a Rocky Cherry-like career either, and therefore do not lump him in with all of the other complete busts that have come and gone over the years.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mcdonbe01.shtml

o

Yeah, I definitely agree here. Ben was no bust, in all honesty. Dylan I guess is more of an open question in that regard, especially if he can't really get below that 5.00 ERA mark. But he's useful, which is my main point. He's not a total non-factor out there (Hess), or a headcase (Wright). He wasn't derailed completely by injury (Loewen). He's fine. He pitches smart and he gets by. I tend to think there's more in the tank there if he can really tighten up his offspeed offerings, especially the curve and change. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Yeah, I definitely agree here. Ben was no bust, in all honesty. Dylan I guess is more of an open question in that regard, especially if he can't really get below that 5.00 ERA mark. But he's useful, which is my main point. He's not a total non-factor out there (Hess), or a headcase (Wright). He wasn't derailed completely by injury (Loewen). He's fine. He pitches smart and he gets by. I tend to think there's more in the tank there if he can really tighten up his offspeed offerings, especially the curve and change. 

Loewen was able to spend 5 years in the bigs, how many prospects wanted to do as much, and didn't?