Does O's management want to win in Sept?

wildcard

I think the Orioles will be fighting for a 4-8 pick next year.  I expect them to be better then the Tigers Royals Marlins, Mariners.  Then you have the next group of White Sox, Rangers us, Reds and someone in the Nl west.  It will depend on if we move guys in off season and what teams make moved if we get top 5 pick.  

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, wildcard said:

This could be Elias' last chance to get a top 5 draft pick.   At least he has to hope that is true.   The Bowie pitchers are probably going to start to arrive in the majors next July.   Elias probably hope that moves the team up in the standing in the 2nd half next season.

I don’t know how many of the Bowie pitchers will be in Baltimore next July, or what impact they’ll have.    Akin was EL pitcher of the year last year, but has been just so-so in AAA.    Zimmermann and Kremer pitched well for Bowie but have struggled in the transition to Norfolk.     Therefore, I assume nothing about how quickly the rest of the Bowie crop will be ready for the majors and how much impact they’ll have.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know how many of the Bowie pitchers will be in Baltimore next July, or what impact they’ll have.    Akin was EL pitcher of the year last year, but has been just so-so in AAA.    Zimmermann and Kremer pitched well for Bowie but have struggled in the transition to Norfolk.     Therefore, I assume nothing about how quickly the rest of the Bowie crop will be ready for the majors and how much impact they’ll have.   

Next season Norfolk probably has Akin,  Lowther, Wells, Zimmerman, Kremer, Baumann, and Alvarado.  Chances  are some of them are ready by July.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Next season Norfolk probably has Akin,  Lowther, Wells, Zimmerman, Kremer, Baumann, and Alvarado.  Chances  are some of them are ready by July.

Mountcastle was probably ready by July of this year.  Yet he isnt even getting a September call up.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Mountcastle was probably ready by July of this year.  Yet he isnt even getting a September call up.

I do think the calculus is a bit different with pitchers.    They only have so many pitches in their arms, so you don’t want them wasted in the minors if they’re ready.    

14 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

It should go without saying that management wants to win not only in Sept., but EVERY game the team plays. If not, I want nothing to do with them.  

I'm sure they'd love going 162-0. But when you come in, look at the available talent in December and see a 55-win team you're not going to do everything in your power to improve the team for the upcoming season.  Because that means spending all available resources on winning 70 or 75 games at great expense to the future.  There is no reason to subtract wins from a hopefully competitive 2022 or 2023 Orioles so they might overachieve and win 70 games in '19.

Interesting thread with two topics.  I do think the Os are playing to win in September like they have every month this year.  I would prefer to see Hays and Mountcastle promoted, but not a big deal that they are not up for these last four weeks.

I think the Os fall into a basket of the bottom six or seven teams where there is a wide range of outcomes for next season.  If we get Cobb back, find one more plus bullpen arm to go with Harvey and Givens, cut Davis for Mountcastle, improve at SS, I could see us with 10 more wins than this season.

I could also see us trading Mancini, Villar, Bundy and Givens and scuffling through pitchers again next season such that we are five or more games worse.

8 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Interesting thread with two topics.  I do think the Os are playing to win in September like they have every month this year.  I would prefer to see Hays and Mountcastle promoted, but not a big deal that they are not up for these last four weeks.

I think the Os fall into a basket of the bottom six or seven teams where there is a wide range of outcomes for next season.  If we get Cobb back, find one more plus bullpen arm to go with Harvey and Givens, cut Davis for Mountcastle, improve at SS, I could see us with 10 more wins than this season.

I could also see us trading Mancini, Villar, Bundy and Givens and scuffling through pitchers again next season such that we are five or more games worse.

I think Givens is most likely to be dealt this offseason, an it will probably happen.

If Mancini and Villar didn't have enough value to trade at this past deadline, I'm not sure if they will return anything in the offseason. I think they will want to keep Bundy around because he is a pretty consistent inning eater who won't demand a big salary increase.

I think Cobb is physically done.

19 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I think the Orioles will be fighting for a 4-8 pick next year.  I expect them to be better then the Tigers Royals Marlins, Mariners.  Then you have the next group of White Sox, Rangers us, Reds and someone in the Nl west.  It will depend on if we move guys in off season and what teams make moved if we get top 5 pick.  

I think the Orioles may regress next year or stay neutral. I see them selling off any assets they may have this off-season. I think they will not aggressively promote the Bowie crop of pitchers (at least as a group) and even if they do they will struggle. I can easily see another 1-1 to 1-3 pick. I would look for a jump in 2021 as some guys get established and then growth into 2022-23

Archived