Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

36 minutes ago, weams said:

MLB Network had it as a four star big deal. I'd say you are in the minority on this one. 

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A four-star catch is defined as a play where the odds of the ball being caught are between 26-50%.   

I think four stars is about right. Good solid play. You get a fist bump. I would like a young player to expect to make that play.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

No problem with showing a little fire.  Might be looked at as a turning point in the rebuild.

I want Austin Hays to be looked at by other AL East fans like how we see Brett Gardner. I want Hays to hustle, make clutch plays and most importantly make opposing fans say I can't stand that bleeping guy. 

53 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I want Austin Hays to be looked at by other AL East fans like how we see Brett Gardner. I want Hays to hustle, make clutch plays and most importantly make opposing fans say I can't stand that bleeping guy. 

I just want him to be a good player.    I like his passion, so long as he backs it up with good play.    

I don't mean to discount the difficulty of the Hays catch at all but.....

I think the more difficult catches are those hit into the outfield gaps where the fielder is on a full sprint diving away from the infield or catching over his shoulder.  For a lot of the homerun robbing catches, including Hays', the fielder has some time to get to the warning track and drift back toward then fence and then it's just a matter of timing his leap.  These diving or over-the-shoulder type catches are made while on a full sprint and usually with the ball tailing one way or the other and the fielders back is to the plate.  Those impress me more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

I don't mean to discount the difficulty of the Hays catch at all but.....

I think the more difficult catches are those hit into the outfield gaps where the fielder is on a full sprint diving away from the infield or catching over his shoulder.  For a lot of the homerun robbing catches, including Hays', the fielder has some time to get to the warning track and drift back toward then fence and then it's just a matter of timing his leap.  These diving or over-the-shoulder type catches are made while on a full sprint and usually with the ball tailing one way or the other and the fielders back is to the plate.  Those impress me more.

He appeared to be in a full on sprint in this instance and not a timed drift to the wall to rob a homer in. Which in my mind makes it a much better play than you described. 

3 hours ago, higgybaby said:

He appeared to be in a full on sprint in this instance and not a timed drift to the wall to rob a homer in. Which in my mind makes it a much better play than you described. 

They had it rated at a 9 percent probability catch on MLB Network.  If that means anything.