Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

54 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is probably a debate that's better reserved for the MLB board, but I don't think Mauer a slam dunk HOFer. 

That is a fun discussion. Mauer had an MVP season, but he was an All Star "only" six times, has less than 150 career home runs, etc. His career is really mixed when evaluated with the Hall of Fame statistics on baseball reference. He's well below the average HOF'er using many of the composite metrics, but about average or slightly above average for a HOF catcher in several of the metrics. 58% of his appearances were as a catcher, so as you suggest Mauer's evaluation as a HOF'er really rests on how he's seen. I think he was so well liked that he will elected into the hall by the writers, but it should be an interesting debate/discussion when he's eligible. 

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

That is a fun discussion. Mauer had an MVP season, but he was an All Star "only" six times, has less than 150 career home runs, etc. His career is really mixed when evaluated with the Hall of Fame statistics on baseball reference. He's well below the average HOF'er using many of the composite metrics, but about average or slightly above average for a HOF catcher in several of the metrics. 58% of his appearances were as a catcher, so as you suggest Mauer's evaluation as a HOF'er really rests on how he's seen. I think he was so well liked that he will elected into the hall by the writers, but it should be an interesting debate/discussion when he's eligible. 

You have to also look at this season WAR and Career WAR\, 8 times he was at least 3 times better than a replacement level and career of 55, is near the magical 60, that the baseball writers expect to see.

No, he isn't a slam dunk, but he gets in and maybe not waiting until the veteran committee. IMO

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

Yep. You'll never even see another Cal or Eddie. Manny was as good as you'll get. 

Never is a long time.    Manny was arguably better than Eddie with defense factored in.    He just didn’t stick around.    I expect to live long enough to see at least part of the career of our next Hall of Famer, whoever that turns out to be.    

1 hour ago, Philip said:

These last few comments have been mildly disappointing. I thought we had a Pillar that could hit, or a Cain who is young. Now it seems at best we have Adam Jones, an average glove and good bat but a lot OBP because he never walks. I loved AJ-and still do- but I was hoping Hays would be a different level.

Obviously, it’s possible that Hays could grow into a better hitter than Jones.  But realistically, the odds of that are probably less than 10%.   So, I decided not to be greedy in picking out my comps.    I’ll be thrilled if Hays has a Jones-like career.     If he can do even better, great.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Never is a long time.    Manny was arguably better than Eddie with defense factored in.    He just didn’t stick around.    I expect to live long enough to see at least part of the career of our next Hall of Famer, whoever that turns out to be.    

As bad as Manny has been since Aug, he still has a 2.9 WAR on the season.

How many people on the 25 man Oriole Roster can better than? Not many

9 minutes ago, Natty said:

Austin Hays takes over catch of the year poll. 

Per Baseball Savant, there have been 89 5-star catches made this year, and Hays’ wasn’t one of them.   I mean, it was a terrific catch, but I think if I looked I’d find some better ones.    But catches above the wall are always fun.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Per Baseball Savant, there have been 89 5-star catches made this year, and Hays’ wasn’t one of them.   I mean, it was a terrific catch, but I think if I looked I’d find some better ones.    But catches above the wall are always fun.   

I think his catch last night was more impressive.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think it was the best catch of the year and not even in the top ten, but the statcast start ratings are based purely off of ground covered and time in the air, catches at a wall or around some other ballpark feature have an additional level of difficulty.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I liked how easily he gunned down Vlad at second.  He had time to blow a bubble, or pound his chest, before he threw.

Yeah. That was awesome. A rocket. I think most of that was on Vlad though, he was out by a mile. Wilkerson and Mullins probably both make that out (although a much closer play).

1 minute ago, canonfaz said:

Yeah. That was awesome. A rocket. I think most of that was on Vlad though, he was out by a mile. Wilkerson and Mullins probably both make that out (although a much closer play).

Both Wilkerson and Mullins have to get to that ball as well.  I'm not at all sure that either of them can make the complete play.