Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

13 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Rookie eligibility update:

Hays had 115 career at-bats coming into tonight's game and players lose their eligibility once they "exceed 130 at-bats".

He is currently 2 for 4 through 8 innings and due up third in the 9th. If he records an at-bat in the 9th (doesn't record a walk, sacrifice or HBP), he will be at 120 at-bats with 3 games remaining. 

Easy solution. He sits one game in Boston. 

Just now, Finisher said:

Kinda works out perfectly: let him feast on crappy Eovaldi and Chacin on Friday and Saturday and sit him against lefty Erod on Sunday.

I will be curious to see what they do. 

I honestly think I would sit him one game. That way if he does have a special season next year he will be eligible. It would be good for the team to market that. One game more played isn’t worth the chance it may happen however slim.  

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I honestly think I would sit him one game. That way if he does have a special season next year he will be eligible. It would be good for the team to market that. One game more played isn’t worth the chance it may happen however slim.  

I want it to happen. The last Oriole ROY was Gregg Olson in 1989. 

Talk about the one guy on the team that doesn’t want the season to end. I’m not short changing all the physical work Haha has put in over the last two years, but mentally it’s gotta be a big weight of his shoulders to know that he’s back in the show and healthy. 

Please do not send him to the AFL. Send him home to rest and we’ll see him in ST. 

8 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Rookie eligibility update:

Hays had 115 career at-bats coming into tonight's game and players lose their eligibility once they "exceed 130 at-bats".

He went 2-5 tonight, reaching 120 at-bats with 3 games remaining. 

If he were to maintain his rookie eligibility, what are the chances he slips back into top-100 prospect lists this offseason?

Doesn't it seem odd to be talking about a 2020 ROY for a guy who made his MLB debut in 2017?  I wonder what the record is for longest gap between debut and ROY?

Is Christian Walker still a rookie?  He made his debut on September 17, 2014.  Rick Dempsey cleared the 130 PA mark in his 5th season in the majors.  Raul Chavez debuted at 23, and I think still had his eligibility intact at 31.  Adrian Garrett debuted in 1966 and lost his rookie eligibility in '75.  Skeeter Barnes came up at 26 and was still a rookie at 34.  If the Pirates had held back Mike Easler for a few PA in '79 he could have been ROY in '80 after debuting in '73.

Dusty Baker got a few MVP votes in what bb-ref calls his rookie year ('72) after he first came up in 1968.  But he got no ROY votes, so he may have been a victim of shifting eligibility rules.  Or perhaps he was on the active roster too long to qualify.  That may also apply to some of the players earlier in this post.

The record may be Tommy Agee, who got a cup of coffee at 19 and was the ROY at 23.  Also Gary Peters pitched an inning at 22, was ROY at 26.

11 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Service time!

if we can keep Mountcastle down for a month, we can sit Hays for four at bats.

38 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Doesn't it seem odd to be talking about a 2020 ROY for a guy who made his MLB debut in 2017?  I wonder what the record is for longest gap between debut and ROY?

Is Christian Walker still a rookie?  He made his debut on September 17, 2014.  Rick Dempsey cleared the 130 PA mark in his 5th season in the majors.  Raul Chavez debuted at 23, and I think still had his eligibility intact at 31.  Adrian Garrett debuted in 1966 and lost his rookie eligibility in '75.  Skeeter Barnes came up at 26 and was still a rookie at 34.  If the Pirates had held back Mike Easler for a few PA in '79 he could have been ROY in '80 after debuting in '73.

Dusty Baker got a few MVP votes in what bb-ref calls his rookie year ('72) after he first came up in 1968.  But he got no ROY votes, so he may have been a victim of shifting eligibility rules.  Or perhaps he was on the active roster too long to qualify.  That may also apply to some of the players earlier in this post.

The record may be Tommy Agee, who got a cup of coffee at 19 and was the ROY at 23.  Also Gary Peters pitched an inning at 22, was ROY at 26.

Great comment thanks!

Some fantasy keeper leagues are geared to this too - Kyle Tucker has the same 120 AB's as Hays entering the last 4 days.  If we're triangulating for 2020 ROY, Tucker playing 3 out of the clinched Astros last 4 would be a big help.

if 2020 goes well, Orioles will congest the ROY rankings - I'd hope Harvey, Mountcastle, Diaz and even Akin rate by this time next year.

Last year and this year, the Rays have broken in talented relievers.  Diego Castillo debuted June 6 and threw 56 innings last year.  This year, Colin Poche debuted June 8 and with four days to go is at 50 innings - he'll get another couple the next four days.  Kudos to Tampa for perhaps having it both ways with Super Two and Rookie of the Year avoidance - macro arbitration management.