Players coming off the 40 man roster after the season

wildcard

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t think he’ll be part of our next good team, and as I said, he can stay for now.

ERA ignores inherited runners, and is pretty deceptive for a reliever.

He does have one option remaining, but the rest of his stats are ok. He’s not good( who on the Astros walks 5.5 per 9?) but he’s not as bad as I thought. As I said, he can stay till someone better comes along. Which is what I said initially.

and he wasn’t on my list of guys to purge anyway.

Framber Valdez and Josh James have combined for 121 innings for the Astros (mostly in relief) with 5.5 and 5.4 BB/9.

In the Astros current bullpen, I would posit that only Harris, Osuna, Rodon and Joe Smith are better options than Castro.

Castro's strand rate isn't great this year, although last year it was 7th among the 22 pitchers with 30 strands and 13th among the top 48 pitchers (those with 24 or more strands). He is a reasonable Major League reliever.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Miguel Castro has a 2.30 ERA over his last 29 games (since mid-June!). He has a 108 ERA+ and .8 rWAR for the season. He is only 24 and has pitched to ERA+ of 112 and a total of 3 rWAR over the last three seasons. You are too much.

His WPA for the season is -.658.    He had a very tough time in high leverage situations in the first few months of the year, and once a pitcher creates that impression, it’s tough to erase even if he pitches well afterwards.    Over the time period you’re talking about, he’s +.508, which is good, but he’s still in the minus column overall.   

Mychal Givens is somewhat similar.    He’s posted a 2.61 ERA since May 30, and has been worth 1.1 rWAR, but his WPA is still at -.468 on the year despite being at +.524 in that time period.   

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His WPA for the season is -.658.    He had a very tough time in high leverage situations in the first few months of the year, and once a pitcher creates that impression, it’s tough to erase even if he pitches well afterwards.    Over the time period you’re talking about, he’s +.508, which is good, but he’s still in the minus column overall.   

Mychal Givens is somewhat similar.    He’s posted a 2.61 ERA since May 30, and has been worth 1.1 rWAR, but his WPA is still at -.468 on the year despite being at +.524 in that time period.   

Givens seems to have pitched a lot better now that he is being used mostly in 1 inning outings.  I think the rest of bullpen improving  has made the bullpen better because it allows Hyde to not over use Givens and Castro.  These guys are better when they have a defined role and know when they are coming in. 

Just now, atomic said:

Givens seems to have pitched a lot better now that he is being used mostly in 1 inning outings.  I think the rest of bullpen improving  has made the bullpen better because it allows Hyde to not over use Givens and Castro.  These guys are better when they have a defined role and know when they are coming in. 

I can’t really disagree, though Givens certainly had some good years in the past when he pitched a lot of multi-inning outings and came into games anywhere from the 6th-8th inning.

20 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Framber Valdez and Josh James have combined for 121 innings for the Astros (mostly in relief) with 5.5 and 5.4 BB/9.

In the Astros current bullpen, I would posit that only Harris, Osuna, Rodon and Joe Smith are better options than Castro.

Castro's strand rate isn't great this year, although last year it was 7th among the 22 pitchers with 30 strands and 13th among the top 48 pitchers (those with 24 or more strands). He is a reasonable Major League reliever.

Yeah I suppose he’s reasonable, and that’s why he wasn’t on my purge list, and that’s why I strenuously contend he’s not going to be here the next time we’re 500 or better. There are several other guys I would rather get rid of first, and a few guys who haven’t been good this year that I want to keep, at least for now. Cost is not an issue either, because none of the guys we have is making more than minimum. Castro is meh. If he’s of value to the Yankees, maybe they can trade for him.

12 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He lost a bunch of weight, which was necessary, 

But he complained about losing it, he said that it was really hard to lose it, and his comments on the subject gave every indication that he had to force himself to do it and could very easily let himself go again. I do not know whether he has kept it off the season, but the world is littered with talent that never developed. Two teams have given up on him enough to trade away his potential, and he certainly hasn’t shown anything with us so far.

I had him on my purge list, but if you think he’s worth keeping around, I will defer to your judgment. But he sure doesn’t seem like anything except a wasted pick so far.

38 minutes ago, Philip said:

But he complained about losing it, he said that it was really hard to lose it, and his comments on the subject gave every indication that he had to force himself to do it and could very easily let himself go again. I do not know whether he has kept it off the season, but the world is littered with talent that never developed. Two teams have given up on him enough to trade away his potential, and he certainly hasn’t shown anything with us so far.

I had him on my purge list, but if you think he’s worth keeping around, I will defer to your judgment. But he sure doesn’t seem like anything except a wasted pick so far.

“As a kid growing up, going through what I went through coming up through the minors, I only heard what I wanted to hear,’’ Ortiz said. “I got to the point where I got big. I wasn’t in shape. Didn’t take an offseason right until this year I took it serious. Cutting the weight was a key factor for me.”   https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-rookie-luis-ortiz-wants-a-do-over-after-bad-first-impression-20190212-story.html%3foutputType=amp

The offseason went real well,” said Ortiz, part of the package acquired from the Brewers for second baseman Jonathan Schoop. “Everyone’s going to ask, ‘How’s the weight, how’s the hamstring?’ The weight’s good. I lost a lot of pounds this offseason and the hammy ... I feel amazing.

“I got my taste of the big leagues last year and it didn’t go like I wanted to, but I learned from it. Experienced it and it didn’t feel right body-wise. Now I’m here and experiencing it and I feel like I’m ready.”

His tastes at the dinner table were adjusted.

“Just the portion size, cutting down the portion size,” he said. “Especially going to sleep. Eating before 8 o’clock, making sure I don’t have anything in my stomach.”

How difficult were the sacrifices?

“Really hard, really hard,” he said with a laugh.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/observations-from-orioles-spring-training-and-updating-ortiz.html

If you ask me, you really have to strain hard to draw anything negative out of those quotes.   But if you’ve got another one, let me know.

• Upvote 2

Per this thread, we were looking at about 7 guys that need to be added for protection from the Rule 5 draft.

If that is correct, we don't need to get rid of 10 guys. I would keep Wynns (we need a third catcher), Williams, and either Bleier or Fry. Trading Givens or Villar would open an additional spot. I do think there is a chance Davis finally gets released, which would clear another.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

“As a kid growing up, going through what I went through coming up through the minors, I only heard what I wanted to hear,’’ Ortiz said. “I got to the point where I got big. I wasn’t in shape. Didn’t take an offseason right until this year I took it serious. Cutting the weight was a key factor for me.”   https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-rookie-luis-ortiz-wants-a-do-over-after-bad-first-impression-20190212-story.html%3foutputType=amp

The offseason went real well,” said Ortiz, part of the package acquired from the Brewers for second baseman Jonathan Schoop. “Everyone’s going to ask, ‘How’s the weight, how’s the hamstring?’ The weight’s good. I lost a lot of pounds this offseason and the hammy ... I feel amazing.

“I got my taste of the big leagues last year and it didn’t go like I wanted to, but I learned from it. Experienced it and it didn’t feel right body-wise. Now I’m here and experiencing it and I feel like I’m ready.”

His tastes at the dinner table were adjusted.

“Just the portion size, cutting down the portion size,” he said. “Especially going to sleep. Eating before 8 o’clock, making sure I don’t have anything in my stomach.”

How difficult were the sacrifices?

“Really hard, really hard,” he said with a laugh.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/observations-from-orioles-spring-training-and-updating-ortiz.html

If you ask me, you really have to strain hard to draw anything negative out of those quotes.   But if you’ve got another one, let me know.

I didn’t hear the entire thing, all I saw was that really really hard part, I didn’t see the complete comment that you shared, but I also saw another comment or he said it was really difficult to lose it and keep it off. 

Regardless, we will see how things progress. As it stands now, he’s not productive.

15 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Miguel Castro has a 2.30 ERA over his last 29 games (since mid-June!). He has a 108 ERA+ and .8 rWAR for the season. He is only 24 and has pitched to ERA+ of 112 and a total of 3 rWAR over the last three seasons. You are too much.

These are good reasons for why we should trade Castro. 

My biggest point about this perceived roster crunch is... Don’t get too attached to marginal contributors to a 100 loss team. That doesn’t mean those marginal contributors don’t have some value, but their ceiling is marginal now. What will it be in 3-4 years?  So trade away our marginal contributors for 16-19 year olds with high ceilings. 

What value do these marginal contributors have to a 110 loss team?  That we might only lose 100 next year?  We’re all big fans on this site, you just have to be more attached to the process at this point rather than individual players. 

At this point in our rebuild when players stock’s are high we should sell. Don’t get me wrong, one hot streak isn’t changing the entire league’s view of a player’s value, but look at what happened with Cashner. We got a little back when that looked like a pretty far fetched idea last offseason. Now we have vets like  Villar, Givens, and Castro that are coming off hot stretches. Trade em this offseason. Then hope that Cobb and Bundy become tradeable next July. 

How can you have a roster crunch with a 110 loss team with an average farm system?  We don’t.