Diaz does not need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft

wildcard

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Great info on Sedlock. Thanks.

Would you agree that he was a curious first round pick? Even at his best, the profile wasn't exactly a #1/2 starter. Useful arm for sure, but I feel like you usually target more upside than even a pre-injury Sedlock had. 

Well, maybe not. I forgot how low we were picking. #27 that year, so I guess you expect a different profile there.

He wasn't my pick, I didn't love it, I liked Nolan Jones there, but you see guys who profile as a #4 or late inning arm taken around that range.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:05 AM, Luke-OH said:

My tiers are pretty similar to Tony's unsurprisingly.

Akin, Kremer, and Mountcastle

McKenna, Sedlock, Cumberland, Fenter

Klimek, Muckenhirn, Alvarado, Bautista, Peralta, Perez

I'd try and protect the first two tiers. 

If the Orioles had a very strong 40 man roster, it'd probably just be the first tier. But that's not the case.

I’m not really concerned about creating space on the 40 man by cutting loose players currently on it. My concern is if we add too many players then we risk having to DFA a “prospect” vs expose him to the much less risky rule 5 process. Plus we should leave some wiggle room for the waiver wire and teams that actually have a 40 man crunch so that we can acquire players via trade. Hopefully. 

I think we see a much more active Elias this year in terms of incremental improvements to the system this offseason. Now that he’s had a year to evaluate what we have and bring in his own staff.