Nostalgia on Chris Ray

Barnaby Graves

On 10/6/2019 at 12:48 AM, ShoelesJoe said:

My primary memory of Chris Ray is him trying to close out an April 2007 game at Yankee Stadium with the Orioles up 7-6 in the 9th. With two outs and the bases loaded Arod hit a high fly ball off him, and Ray pointed straight up as if it was a pop up to the infield. Unfortunately the ball landed about 450 feet away in the right-center field bleachers for a walk off grand slam.

I also remember the first time I saw Chris Ray pitch and remarking to a fellow fan that with that kind of delivery he should book his Tommy John surgery now. I think his short, injury plagued career was a surprise to pretty much nobody.

I was in the guest room at my old townhouse watching that game.

That moment caused me to launch the remote control into the wall, shattering it into 13 pieces.

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I was in the guest room at my old townhouse watching that game.

That moment caused me to launch the remote control into the wall, shattering it into 13 pieces.

You've seem to have broken quite a few remotes over the years.  Like how Elvis used to pull out a revolver and shoot TVs.  

So either you've got a pile of broken remotes in the corner or this is just all schtick.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

You've seem to have broken quite a few remotes over the years.  Like how Elvis used to pull out a revolver and shoot TVs.  

So either you've got a pile of broken remotes in the corner or this is just all schtick.

That was the first of a few. One of them was just me trying to throw the remote into the sofa with force and shooting a little high. It actually smacked against the side of a granite countertop and broke in half... that one was a Comcast remote too. Expensive.

I've probably broken 4-5 of them over the years. None for quite a while though. When Jimenez gave up the walk off in 2016 I just shrugged and turned off the TV.

1 hour ago, Smilin' Joe Fission said:

I remember when Ray first came up thinking that he would be the anchor to our bullpen that we needed.  He was, for a short time, someone to be excited during those years.  And then it all went down quickly.

Now, I live about five minutes away from his brewery - him and his brother make some good stuff.

I thought Jorge Julio would anchor the Orioles bullpen for the next decade after his rookie season in 2002. Talk about a flash in the pan. 

jorge-julio-of-the-baltimore-orioles-pit

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

That was the first of a few. One of them was just me trying to throw the remote into the sofa with force and shooting a little high. It actually smacked against the side of a granite countertop and broke in half... that one was a Comcast remote too. Expensive.

I've probably broken 4-5 of them over the years. None for quite a while though. When Jimenez gave up the walk off in 2016 I just shrugged and turned off the TV.

That reminds me, I have to get a chunk of Parmesan cheese out from under the couch.  That's where it ended up Saturday night after I turned on the Tech-Miami game, watched for 10 minutes, yelled, threw some cheese, then gave up and turned to some Gordon Ramsey show. Tech won, but it felt like a loss.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I thought Jorge Julio would anchor the Orioles bullpen for the next decade after his rookie season in 2002. Talk about a flash in the pan. 

jorge-julio-of-the-baltimore-orioles-pit

1.99 ERA, 3.58 FIP.  Also, you have to be a little skeptical of a guy who could touch 100 mph but averages just seven strikeouts per nine.

I really thought that after Julio left Baltimore he went to Mexico or retired or something.  I had no idea he pitched another four years, 172 games, for seven teams in the majors.

On 10/6/2019 at 8:20 AM, Enjoy Terror said:

Easily my least favorite Oriole player ever. That season was unbearable to watch and he accounted for like 60% of the unbearableness.

Not to get off subject here of this great nostalgic offseason post by the OP, but any argument that doesn't resolve to Steve Kline being their least favorite Orioles is wrong. :D

This guy bashed his new teammate and fans in the first week he was an Oriole. Joking aside, Terry Mathews is certainly in my top 5 as well without putting too much thought into it!

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not to get off subject here of this great nostalgic offseason post by the OP, but any argument that doesn't resolve to Steve Kline being their least favorite Orioles is wrong. :D

I didn't notice Kline as much.  Maybe I was too busy smashing @Hank Scorpio's remotes at the wall whenever Jorge Julio, and, in particular, Fat Sid Ponson pitched.  Ponson was gone, shipped off to SF.  Then Beatagan brought him back.  In fairness, they tried to send him packing again, but Angelos personally intervened and prevented a trade to Texas.  SMDH.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This guy bashed his new teammate and fans in the first week he was an Oriole. Joking aside, Terry Mathews is certainly in my top 5 as well without putting too much thought into it!

Yeah. Norm Charlton was a Nasty Boy like Randall K. Myers. But as an Oriole? 

image.thumb.png.11249ec7cd023b927bc323a41f12f203.png

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Kline wasn't charged with assault while playing.  Give me Francisco Rodriguez.

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Lol, I’m too young for Steve Kline but he sounds charming.