Aaron Brooks

wildcard

Roch writes about Aaron Brooks as a reliever today.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/10/is-bullpen-best-for-brooks.html

I think whether Brooks is a starter or a reliever depends on two things.

1. Who Elias adds this off season to compete for a rotation spot.

2.  Whether Brooks wins the starter job in ST.

Elias/Hyde spend the last  3 months of 2019 stretching Brooks out to be a starters.    In his last 6 weeks he when 4-1 with a  3.62 ERA as  a starter.   Starters  that do well in the O's rotation are hard find.   I think he stays a starter until someone  beats him out for the spot.  I think Elias brings in at least three starter/long relievers from outside the organization to compete for the rotation  and long reliever spots this spring.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Brooks and Ynoa are useful stop gap, innings eaters, for this team until the prospects come up. Whether that’s starting or relieving. Not too many our pitchers last year flashed the ability to pitch in the MLB. 

While I agree that Brooks and Ynoa are stop gap pitchers, I think Elias/Hyde sees them differently.    From the time he was acquired Brooks was stretched out to be a starter and he showed some improvement by seasons end.   Ynoa was used as an innings eater as he said.   He never really found any consistency or improvement IMO.

I think Brooks has earned a 40 man roster spot. I doubt Ynoa has.

We threw a lot of pitchers up against the wall last year and not too many stuck. FWIW, Ynoa was 3rd behind Bundy and Means, in IP and ERA. Keep in mind Ynoa had missed the last 1.5 seasons basically.

I’m not sure if there is a limit on the amount of pitchers that you can have on the roster with the new 26 man roster. 13 or 14. Or if we’re going to use that extra spot for Davis. But I see,

Means, Bundy, Cobb, Wojo, Akin

Locks for BP: Givens and Castro

Long Relievers/Swingmen: Brooks and Ynoa

The remaining spots will go to a cast of characters that I don’t know if they’ve stood out enough to justify losing Brooks or Ynoa. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We threw a lot of pitchers up against the wall last year and not too many stuck. FWIW, Ynoa was 3rd behind Bundy and Means, in IP and ERA. Keep in mind Ynoa had missed the last 1.5 seasons basically.

I’m not sure if there is a limit on the amount of pitchers that you can have on the roster with the new 26 man roster. 13 or 14. Or if we’re going to use that extra spot for Davis. But I see,

Means, Bundy, Cobb, Wojo, Akin

Locks for BP: Givens and Castro

Long Relievers/Swingmen: Brooks and Ynoa

The remaining spots will go to a cast of characters that I don’t know if they’ve stood out enough to justify losing Brooks or Ynoa. 

I think Akin begins the season at AAA.   

You don't think Harvey is a lock in the pen if healthy?

I just don't agree on Ynoa at all.  He is part of the problem IMO.  But that is fine.  We all have an opinion.

51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

While I agree that Brooks and Ynoa are stop gap pitchers, I think Elias/Hyde sees them differently.    From the time he was acquired Brooks was stretched out to be a starter and he showed some improvement by seasons end.   Ynoa was used as an innings eater as he said.   He never really found any consistency or improvement IMO.

I think Brooks has earned a 40 man roster spot. I doubt Ynoa has.

I'll believe that Elias and Hyde think highly of Brooks when they say so.  He's almost 30, has a low strikeout rate, a 6.50 ERA, and a low-90s fastball.  Brooks' supposed improvement was in like 30 innings. That's enough for you, but not for most others.

26 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'll believe that Elias and Hyde think highly of Brooks when they say so.  He's almost 30, has a low strikeout rate, a 6.50 ERA, and a low-90s fastball.  Brooks' supposed improvement was in like 30 innings. That's enough for you, but not for most others.

I am not saying Brooks is anything special.  He is just one of the best 5 starters the O's have right now.   It should earn him a spot to compete for the rotation in ST.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am not saying Brooks is anything special.  He is just one of the best 5 starters the O's have right now.   It should earn him a spot to compete for the rotation in ST.

Would rather give a rotation spot to Akin/Kremer out of ST.  

If Brooks gets a rotation spot, he's most likely a placeholder for someone else, a prospect that they might not want to start the service clock on until whatever that special date is.  

Maybe they have found something they can tease out of him with analytics but I think he is what he is at this point.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Would rather give a rotation spot to Akin/Kremer out of ST.  

If Brooks gets a rotation spot, he's most likely a placeholder for someone else, a prospect that they might not want to start the service clock on until whatever that special date is.  

Maybe they have found something they can tease out of him with analytics but I think he is what he is at this point.

If Akins has a good start of the season at AAA I can see in the rotation in May.

Kremer has not had success at AAA yet and he probably needs at least 3 months of good pitching there before he gets a promotion. 

I agree Brooks probably turns out to be a placeholder, maybe for Akin or Kremer.  And I think Elias brings at least 3 other minor leaguer or unproven starter this off season to compete for a rotation spot or a long reliever spots.  

On 10/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, wildcard said:

If Akins has a good start of the season at AAA I can see in the rotation in May.

Kremer has not had success at AAA yet and he probably needs at least 3 months of good pitching there before he gets a promotion. 

I agree Brooks probably turns out to be a placeholder, maybe for Akin or Kremer.  And I think Elias brings at least 3 other minor leaguer or unproven starter this off season to compete for a rotation spot or a long reliever spots.  

I am Frobby, and I approve this message.  

On 10/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, wildcard said:

I don’t really have a problem with Akin starting in AAA. He certainly has some things to work on. Another 10ish starts wouldn’t be the worst. 25 G and only 112.1 IP last year.  He needs to get deeper into games.

I’m also hoping the organization isn’t giving up on the idea of Harvey starting. He threw 80 IP last season. The natural progression for building innings would be 120-130 IP. Heck, Akin only threw 112 making 25 start in AAA last year. I have no problem letting Harvey try to start in AAA. I also have no problem with him being a reliever with us. Maybe mentally him making it to the MLB, overcoming all the injuries, and having success, makes it more palatable to go back to AAA and start. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...