Aaron Brooks

wildcard

2 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

They're similar levels of difficulty in my experience, but the Korean writing system is tremendously easy to learn (especially compared to Mandarin and Japanese).

Good for Brooks! No loss to the Orioles.

If your experience says they are of comparable difficulty why did you say Korean was "much easier"? 

I agree that Korean in it's written form is easier to learn but I don't think most players are bothering to become literate.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know what this means.  Maybe I shouldn't ask.

It was a joke about Communist China, suggesting that going to Korea to play baseball is better than going to China to play baseball.

Even though I’m not even sure that one CAN go to China to play baseball. And the TV shows are much better. And the language IS easier. I hope he tries to learn it.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

It was a joke about Communist China, suggesting that going to Korea to play baseball is better than going to China to play baseball.

Even though I’m not even sure that one CAN go to China to play baseball. And the TV shows are much better. And the language IS easier. I hope he tries to learn it.

Spoken Korean is not normally regarded as easier.  It is a very difficult langue that contains a regularly used sound that is not discernible to some English speakers.

Maybe you found Korean easy to learn but your experience is not the norm.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know what this means.  Maybe I shouldn't ask.

Let me clarify I was specifically talking about the difficulty of Chinese although Japanese is also very difficult. The Korean alphabet is a bit complicated but it’s logical, and thank God Korean is not a tonal language. Every time I sing something in Chinese to my wife it turns out I said something completely different and unrelated.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Elias must feel he can do better with other 6 year free agent and waiver claims.

Hopefully, but last year Elias didn't make too many of those moves in the offseason.  We had to scramble to pick up Brooks, Wojo, and Eshelman during the season.  Brooks is nothing to be upset about, but I do think he showed more than David Hess did.  Who knows if Hess sticks around either.  

From MLBTR:

NOV. 13: The KIA Tigers have officially signed Brooks, per Dan Kurtz of MyKBO.net. His deal comes with a $479K salary and a $200K signing bonus.

Brooks  gets a salary increase of 124K.

I think it was Brooks not having any options left that was the reason Elias let him go.   The O's would have had to commit 555K to him whether he pitched well or not.  Elias probably believes there are pitchers he can pick up that will do as well and that still have options.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

From MLBTR:

Brooks  gets a salary increase of 124K.

I think it was Brooks not having any options left that was the reason Elias let him go.   The O's would have had to commit 555K to him whether he pitched well or not.  Elias probably believes there are pitchers he can pick up that will do as well and that still have options.

That and it doesn't hurt to do a marginal player a solid in a situation like this.

• 3 weeks later...

Was kinda bummed to read this article THE ATHLETIC @TonySoprano  about the most dominant pitches in 2019 for the MLB this morning and then remember that Brooks has gone to the KBO.

For example, we could define dominant as the stingiest results allowed on a pitch. Already we have a problem, though, because there are more than 800 pitch types in baseball that have allowed a .000 weighted on-base average (wOBA, where .325 was average last year). About 90 percent of them are probably erroneously labeled or random mistake pitches, things like: CC Sabathia’s curve, which he supposedly didn’t throw this year, or threw twice; Blake Snell’s sinker, which one site says he’s never thrown; or Chris Davis’ slider, which … how would we know which one was the slider?

His name starts with two A’s and he threw 21 curveballs, so Aaron Brooks’ curve is our most dominant pitch?

That curve looks decent, and it had above-average velocity and decent drop, so it’s at least a solid pitch. But it got half the whiffs of a regular curveball on average and really just benefited from the fact that it was thrown only 21 times, and every time it was put in play, it produced a groundball.

• Upvote 1