Jealous

Frobby

12 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

The Houston Astros were my 2nd team as a kid in the late 80's. But after the Glenn Davis deal I pretty much scrapped that. Just couldn't get over the feeling that the Astros knew Davis was damaged goods.

They sure used some *analytics* to unlock Finley's potential.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Palmoripken said:

Carpenter and Santangelo make it hard for me. I get not everyone has a guy with Palmer’s years of experience and insight but those two always gave me a Hawk Harrelson like vibe. 

They are tough.  In middle age I appreciate keenly that the hometown announcers are perhaps more marketing department than chroniclers.  It didn't seem as much that way to me growing up and I'm honestly not sure if things were really different then, or just my perspective was.

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

They are tough.  In middle age I appreciate keenly that the hometown announcers are perhaps more marketing department than chroniclers.  It didn't seem as much that way to me growing up and I'm honestly not sure if things were really different then, or just my perspective was.

I think an announcer can be pro team but also not a over the top homer. Whining about calls constantly gets old as well as defending poor play.  

55 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I do get that but I just have watched enough games where we did the split team with their team not to be impressed by Carpenter and Santangelo as announcers. 

8 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I do get that but I just have watched enough games where we did the split team with their team not to be impressed by Carpenter and Santangelo as announcers. 

Probably because they’re terrible. The Orioles have always had good if not great broadcasters, Ernie Harwell,Chuck Thompson,Jon Miller and Gary Thorne not a stinker in the group.

15 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I think an announcer can be pro team but also not a over the top homer. Whining about calls constantly gets old as well as defending poor play.  

And when you start to call the players only by their first names, and the other team as the bad guys or the enemy... only the White Sox will hire you.

On 10/31/2019 at 12:09 AM, Frobby said:

I’ve been fortunate to see the Orioles win three World Series, and even though it’s been 36 years, I still take great pride and solace in those wins.    

But one thing the O’s haven’t ever done is win a World Series or a playoff series that came down to a rubber game.   They lost two WS Game 7’s to the Pirates,  and Game 5 of two five-game playoff series to the A’s and the Yankees.     All the postseason series they ever won never got down to a nailbiter situation.    Not that I didn’t enjoy those wins, but there’s just something about winning with everything on the line in one game that is sort of the ultimate satisfaction.   

I’m pretty jealous of the Nats fans tonight.    I’ve never felt quite what they’re feeling as an Orioles fan.   

I'm personally jealous of this! Screw them Nationals. (Congrats though) I don't take sports THAT serious, but I'd probably cry if I ever saw the Orioles win a World Series. Nothing that I've ever seen in person compared to the playoff series against the Yankees in 2012. Even though Jim Johnson blew it in the 9th, that was by far one of the best Orioles experiences I've ever had down at the park. Could only imagine what it would feel like with a World Series win in Baltimore. The feels...

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And when you start to call the players only by their first names, and the other team as the bad guys or the enemy... only the White Sox will hire you.

Jason Benitti is really good. The White Sox got a true pro when they hired him.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They sure used some *analytics* to unlock Finley's potential.

I always found it funny that both he and Anderson were pretty much the same guy in the O's organization in 1990. But Brady was the only one who constantly got accused of ped use when they both all of the sudden had a power surge.

1 hour ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I always found it funny that both he and Anderson were pretty much the same guy in the O's organization in 1990. But Brady was the only one who constantly got accused of ped use when they both all of the sudden had a power surge.

I loved Steve Finley.  His catch on opening day '89 set the tone for the whole year, and hated when he was traded.  But going into his age 31 season he had 64 professional (including minors) homers, comparable to Don Zimmer or Kurt Suzuki.  And a career high of 11.  From 31-on he hit 260, one more than Ted Williams hit at those ages.

Launch angle.  Coulda been launch angles.

29 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I loved Steve Finley.  His catch on opening day '89 set the tone for the whole year, and hated when he was traded.  But going into his age 31 season he had 64 professional (including minors) homers, comparable to Don Zimmer or Kurt Suzuki.  And a career high of 11.  From 31-on he hit 260, one more than Ted Williams hit at those ages.

The Splendid Splinter missed all but 43 games of his age 33 - 34 seasons while he served in the Korean Conflict.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I remember being mostly mad at the O's trading Harnisch away. He ended up being the lesser player dealt by the O's.

Edited by OsEatAlEast