Means AL ROY Finalist

Can_of_corn

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Meh.   Three is plenty.   As it is, 8 different players got votes.    Means was a very solid second.   Congrats to him.   

I find it ironic that the two top rookies we’ve had in recent years were never top 100 prospects, or even close, and neither was a top draft pick either (7th round for Means, 8th for Mancini).   But Means was certainly the bigger surprise of the two.   

In general I think most seasons more than 3 players deserve some recognition. Ton of good rookies now. Makes it easier for voters. It won’t change who wins as well.,

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I figured he'd finish 3rd.  No arguments with Alvarez winning in a landslide, it was a hell of a year for him.

Here's hoping Means can do it again next year.  I'm hoping we really have something with him.  If he can get a feel for his curveball like he's got for his changeup, look out.

Same. 2nd place finish is very good because Alavarez was definitely going to win AL ROY. Well deserved showing for Means. 

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Doesn’t bother me that Gammons mentioned he was dumped by the Orioles.    That’s part of the story.   

He did this to take a shot at the Orioles on the day the ROY vote came out. Why not just mention how good of a season Yaz had? 

3 hours ago, byrdz said:

Yeah I guess it doesn’t matter that he’s nearly 30. 

Yeah. Didn’t see anything pointing out James Shields for Tatis Jr.

I doubt Elias has lost much sleep over it. Have to see he performs next year.  

4 hours ago, byrdz said:

Yeah I guess it doesn’t matter that he’s nearly 30. 

The story is that he's a 28-year-old rookie who's been bouncing around the minors for eight years and could have been picked up by any team in baseball somehow hits twice as many homers as he did in any prior season, most of that in the majors.  He's the new Luke Scott or Garrett Jones, old rookies with power, except both of those players had multiple 20-30+ homer seasons in the minors.

13 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m not really surprised about Álvarez, but I’d really like to know the logic of the fools who left Means off their ballots entirely? I just can’t understand why anybody would I think he was unworthy of consideration at all

They wanted Biggio or somebody to get some love, and there's just three slots.  And a tiny subset of Orioles fans are the only ones slightly outraged over Means not being a unanimous vote getter.

13 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m not really surprised about Álvarez, but I’d really like to know the logic of the fools who left Means off their ballots entirely? I just can’t understand why anybody would I think he was unworthy of consideration at all

They wanted Biggio or somebody to get some love, and there's just three slots.  And a tiny subset of Orioles fans are the only ones slightly outraged over Means not being a unanimous vote getter.