Thursday's Hot Stove Show

Going Underground

3 hours ago, section18 said:

Another screw up by marketing. I was offered 4 tickets also and told seating was limited. I tried within minutes of the offer coming through at 7:15 PM last night to get my order of one ticket and could not get it to work. I spoke to my rep this morning and vented in a nice way to him and told him this was handled poorly. To offer some one 4 tickets and get none when you only wanted one is crazy. They offered a photo op with Elias as part of the deal and to get no tickets? Crazy is not the correct word.

I also told him dropping FanFest is a big mistake unless they are going to surprise us and add a young free agent or two that can help us for a few years. I told him basically what Legend just said. Why buy season tickets when you can go online and pick your seat wherever you want. There is no advantage to buying season tickets any more.. They've cut payroll and appear to be cutting in other areas. I doubt all of the people let go by Elias will be replaced. He may need to re-think his approach especially since the woman in the BMW SUV fired her concealed carry gun the other day when the 6 squeegee boys surrounded her vehicle near OP. She said the gun went off accidentally. Did it? Two women now have been surrounded by squeegee boys not too far from OP. I told my rep the Orioes are going to need to hire their own armed security force to patrol outside the park and on their lot I park on. I've mentioned previously I have never seen an armed guard on their lots between Oriole Park and M & T. Let's hope the Mayor and ownership can sit down and come up with a plan. Maybe the kind gesture by Chris Davis and his wife can be extended and he will offer to pay Wolf Security or someone to make fans feel safer. As to the radio show? Are their problems doing it in a restaurant we don't know about?

I think it is up to the team to hire Security.   I think either Orioles management is totally incompetent and stupid or they plan to move the or sell the team. 

Saying that most of the people going to fan fest are season ticket holders so they don’t make money off of it is totally insane statement.

Just now, atomic said:

I think it is up to the team to hire Security.   I think either Orioles management is totally incompetent and stupid or they plan to move the or sell the team. 

Saying that most of the people going to fan fest are season ticket holders so they don’t make money off of it is totally insane statement.

watching you call something else insane in itself, kinda of funny.

Last off-season they produced the show at Bunzzz sports bar in Gallery Place.  First of all the name of the place sounds like a Hooters wanna be like the Tilted Kilt.  Secondly anytime I heard any of the show it sounded like Jim Hunter was in an echo chamber leading me to believe the crowd was sparse.  If they couldn’t draw 100 people at Bunzzz they probably just asked the flagship station to produce it on their own site.

As for “squeegee boys” I remember driving up from downtown to Memorial Stadium and seeing the same.   Guess those guys are these window washers’ grandfathers!  Not sure they still exist in other cities.  Maybe a Baltimore “thing” like the Arabbers..... (horse drawn produce merchants).

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

“O's GM Mike Elias will be in-studio to discuss the club's long-term strategy of building an elite talent pipeline across the organization.”

What exactly is he going to say beyond those very words?     

Elias seems to at least try to answer the questions, or some of it. Dan was always tight lipped about stuff. Elias at least gives a good interview, answers as much as he can without giving up trade secrets.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, scOtt said:

Elias seems to at least try to answer the questions, or some of it. Dan was always tight lipped about stuff. Elias at least gives a good interview, answers as much as he can without giving up trade secrets.

Sometimes its better to be tight lipped, then running your mouth like that clown back with the Phillies, that didnt even understand MLB simple baseball rules. 

Or talking about a good pitcher you have in your system and how they are developing well, and opps, oh yeah, not even in our system anymore.

We do not currently have any similar future opportunities announced, however the Orioles are working to provide specific opportunities and experiences throughout 2020 for our entire fanbase across Birdland. I would encourage you to stay tuned through our online newsletter Warehouse Wire and our social media pages for all news and updates as they become available.

7 minutes ago, weams said:

This was in the email sent. Not sure what the big deal about doing a hot stove show. They have been doing these for years,mostly at the Sheraton and fans could ask questions. I guess this one is for 40 or so season ticket holders. They need to up their game in future events. The Ravens are doing really well and the  Orioles need to engage the fanbase .

Special experiences like this one are just another way for us to say 'thank you' for being a loyal Birdland Member. We look forward to sharing more exciting announcements with you soon!
Sincerely,

Orioles Member Services Team
410-547-6161

23 hours ago, section18 said:

Another screw up by marketing. I was offered 4 tickets also and told seating was limited. I tried within minutes of the offer coming through at 7:15 PM last night to get my order of one ticket and could not get it to work. I spoke to my rep this morning and vented in a nice way to him and told him this was handled poorly. To offer some one 4 tickets and get none when you only wanted one is crazy. They offered a photo op with Elias as part of the deal and to get no tickets? Crazy is not the correct word.

I also told him dropping FanFest is a big mistake unless they are going to surprise us and add a young free agent or two that can help us for a few years. I told him basically what Legend just said. Why buy season tickets when you can go online and pick your seat wherever you want. There is no advantage to buying season tickets any more.. They've cut payroll and appear to be cutting in other areas. I doubt all of the people let go by Elias will be replaced. He may need to re-think his approach especially since the woman in the BMW SUV fired her concealed carry gun the other day when the 6 squeegee boys surrounded her vehicle near OP. She said the gun went off accidentally. Did it? Two women now have been surrounded by squeegee boys not too far from OP. I told my rep the Orioes are going to need to hire their own armed security force to patrol outside the park and on their lot I park on. I've mentioned previously I have never seen an armed guard on their lots between Oriole Park and M & T. Let's hope the Mayor and ownership can sit down and come up with a plan. Maybe the kind gesture by Chris Davis and his wife can be extended and he will offer to pay Wolf Security or someone to make fans feel safer. As to the radio show? Are their problems doing it in a restaurant we don't know about?

You make it sound like the area near the stadium is as dangerous as some third world countries. It's not and there are typically very few incidents that happen around the stadium when games are being played. I'm also not sure I understand your point about the squeegee boys. They're no more annoying (to me) then the overzealous soccer moms/kids selling girl scout cookies at the local grocery stores in the suburbs. Are you worried they're going to squeegee you to death? 

20 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You make it sound like the area near the stadium is as dangerous as some third world countries. It's not and there are typically very few incidents that happen around the stadium when games are being played. I'm also not sure I understand your point about the squeegee boys. They're no more annoying (to me) then the overzealous soccer moms/kids selling girl scout cookies at the local grocery stores in the suburbs. Are you worried they're going to squeegee you to death? 

I was with you until that last sentence, there have been cases, where squeegee boys attacked the driver of the vehicle for not paying for unsolicited services.

Personally, I never had a problem, nor have I had any problems with being in Baltimore.

Like anywhere you go these days, you just need to pay attention to what you are doing and your surroundings.

23 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I was with you until that last sentence, there have been cases, where squeegee boys attacked the driver of the vehicle for not paying for unsolicited services.

Personally, I never had a problem, nor have I had any problems with being in Baltimore.

Like anywhere you go these days, you just need to pay attention to what you are doing and your surroundings.

I was being sarcastic. I've personally never had a problem with them either. And I'm not saying that Baltimore doesn't have it's problems Just like with any city there are both good and bad areas, but I've never felt unsafe around the stadium during games. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I was being sarcastic. I've personally never had a problem with them either. And I'm not saying that Baltimore doesn't have it's problems Just like with any city there are both good and bad areas, but I've never felt unsafe around the stadium during games. 

The stadium area is generally safe during games when there are police officers directing traffic and multiple other fans around. Once the post-game exodus tapers off, it's easy to find yourself all of the sudden alone on a dark secluded lot or side street. With declining attendance expected to continue into next season and beyond, the "safe" (or more accurately "safer") window after a game would be reasonably expected to narrow. One could be mugged - or worse - in broad daylight but after dark the largely industrial stadium area should be avoided the moment the company of other fans dwindles. O's would do well to use private security or pay for BPD overtime to make the area safer.

5 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I see the Tigers are doing a new season ticket membership plan for 26 games and over. Exchange tickets at no extra cost. Express concession stand lines for season ticket holders. Monthly payment plans and 6 fan experiences like these:

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/tickets/season-tickets/experiences

The experiences are catching on.  The past couple years I've said that the Orioles need to add them, and they finally did.  Before then, our STH program was in the stone age.  I'm hoping that they add more to the list this year.