Thursday's Hot Stove Show

Going Underground

5 hours ago, weams said:

”I decided to move MountCastle to left field. He never player outfield before in his life. He still strikes out more and walks less than would be ideal.”

Reps were for d~ Just listening to the live stream now. Thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, weams said:

”I decided to move MountCastle to left field. He never player outfield before in his life. He still strikes out more and walks less than would be ideal.”

Protecting 4-5 players means that Klimek, Alvarado, Muckenhirn and Fenter will all be exposed to the draft.

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No it won't.

We shall see. But this year was the lowest payroll since 2004. I guess I should say for the Angelos family. MASN revenue not subject to revenue sharing is not considered part of the Oriole revenue. Baseball revenues are the highest they have ever been. 

In Major League Baseball, 48% of local revenues are subject to revenue sharing and are distributed equally among all 30 teams, with each team receiving 3.3% of the total sum generated. As a result, in 2018, each team received $118 million from this pot. Teams also receive a share of national revenues, which were estimated to be $91 million per team, also in 2018.

Major Camden Yards concerts are joint ventures of the team and the Maryland Stadium Authority, its landlord.

The stadium authority is entitled under the lease with the Orioles to collect a portion of proceeds from concerts at Camden Yards.

The stadium authority collected an 8 percent admissions tax from the Billy Joel concert, and the city 2 percent.

The Orioles collected all the net revenue — a concession made to the team by the stadium authority “to encourage them to continue to bring non-baseball events” to Camden Yards, according to the minutes of an authority meeting last June. The net revenue figure for the Billy Joel concert

was unavailable, the authority said.

In future concerts, the stadium authority could choose to opt in and collect 45 percent of the revenue — under the lease terms — while the Orioles would collect 55 percent in consideration for their handling ticketing and committing various resources, according to the authority.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-camden-yards-20191107-zm3textb4vfpxgehnfazm7yzja-story.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Revenue_sharing

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

We shall see. But this year was the lowest payroll since 2004. I guess I should say for the Angelos family. MASN revenue not subject to revenue sharing is not considered part of the Oriole revenue. Baseball revenues are the highest they have ever been. 

In Major League Baseball, 48% of local revenues are subject to revenue sharing and are distributed equally among all 30 teams, with each team receiving 3.3% of the total sum generated. As a result, in 2018, each team received $118 million from this pot. Teams also receive a share of national revenues, which were estimated to be $91 million per team, also in 2018.

Major Camden Yards concerts are joint ventures of the team and the Maryland Stadium Authority, its landlord.

The stadium authority is entitled under the lease with the Orioles to collect a portion of proceeds from concerts at Camden Yards.

The stadium authority collected an 8 percent admissions tax from the Billy Joel concert, and the city 2 percent.

The Orioles collected all the net revenue — a concession made to the team by the stadium authority “to encourage them to continue to bring non-baseball events” to Camden Yards, according to the minutes of an authority meeting last June. The net revenue figure for the Billy Joel concert

was unavailable, the authority said.

In future concerts, the stadium authority could choose to opt in and collect 45 percent of the revenue — under the lease terms — while the Orioles would collect 55 percent in consideration for their handling ticketing and committing various resources, according to the authority.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-camden-yards-20191107-zm3textb4vfpxgehnfazm7yzja-story.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Revenue_sharing

I'm banking on one of the years they got those fat MLBAM payments.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The new  TV deal should also be a nice revenue stream. 

That's a huge difference, especially if you figure baseball's deals with its other national media partners—WarnerMedia’s TBS and Walt Disney’s ESPN—that also expire after 2021 will increase about the same as the Fox deal. All told, the new media deals with the three networks will increase the annual average national media revenue to about $2.2 billion, from $1.55 billion.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/04/23/foxs-mlb-tv-deal-is-much-richer-for-team-owners-than-you-probably-think/#785cbeab3a00

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess you mean BAMtech now,

What’s more, the $10.3 billion in revenue does not include the $2.58 billion sale of BAMTech to Disney, which is reported as capital and split among the 30 teams. The league is still making a lot of money despite a 4 percent drop in attendance.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-revenues-continue-hit-record-highs-payrolls-drop-223057984.html

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Protecting 4-5 players means that Klimek, Alvarado, Muckenhirn and Fenter will all be exposed to the draft.

Yes and they discuss that in previous years "you would just get guys back"  The 26 man makes it easier to keep them.  Unless there are two non tenders that he did not want to show the cards on. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Yes and they discuss that in previous years "you would just get guys back"  The 26 man makes it easier to keep them.  Unless there are two non tenders that he did not want to show the cards on. 

I don't see what the 26th man has to do with it.  Its a 40 man roster issue IMO.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I don't see what the 26th man has to do with it.  Its a 40 man roster issue IMO.

Very simple.   They’ve been playing with 25 man rosters for as long as I can remember.   If you add a 26th spot, it’s very easy to park a Rule 5 guy there, use him only in very low leverage situations, and manage the rest of your roster in the way you always have before.    

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Very simple.   They’ve been playing with 25 man rosters for as long as I can remember.   If you add a 26th spot, it’s very easy to park a Rule 5 guy there, use him only in very low leverage situations, and manage the rest of your roster in the way you always have before.    

My statement was "Protecting 4-5 players means that Klimek, Alvarado, Muckenhirn and Fenter will all be exposed to the draft."

That has nothing to do with the 26th man roster because of those guys haven't played at AAA and therefore Elias would not promote them to the O's 26 man roster any time soon.     Whether to protect them or not so they stay in the O's organization is a 40 man roster issue.

Apparently Elias has made the decision that he wants to use those 40 man roster spots for other pitchers and maybe a SS.   Something that I am noting with my post and not arguing with at all.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My statement was "Protecting 4-5 players means that Klimek, Alvarado, Muckenhirn and Fenter will all be exposed to the draft."

That has nothing to do with the 26th man roster because of those guys haven't played at AAA and therefore Elias would not promote them to the O's 26 man roster any time soon.     Whether to protect them or not so they stay in the O's organization is a 40 man roster issue.

Apparently Elias has made the decision that he wants to use those 40 man roster spots for other pitchers and maybe a SS.   Something that I am noting with my post and not arguing with at all.

Or he does not want to tip his hand when trying to trade potential non tenders. Either.