Trade Bait 2020

ScGO's

8 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

He's been impressive in a SSS this year.  Prior to this year he's walked way too many to be a reliable BP piece.  Maybe if he has another few good weeks a team would give a mid-level player for him.

Fair enough, you’re correct about his struggles prior to this year, but the arm talent has always been there (and it’s not like he has been awful before this season, just inconsistent).

I think, of the likely trade candidates (Means, Hays etc excluded), Castro has the most potential value. As Elias said after the Bleier trade, it’s always a question of when is the right time. Castro has two years left of arbitration and there’s the possibility he becomes a lights out closer.

On 8/9/2020 at 2:42 PM, joelala said:

A nice thought but I don’t think anyone is putting too much value on this season so I don’t see someone mortgaging a significant piece of their future (the kind of player who would help set us up for multiple championships) for the chance to steal a trophy with an asterisk. 

But sure if a deal comes that we like, I see absolutely no reason to hold onto any of the guys mentioned in the OP. Even though I do love Alberto. So I agree with you but caution you to temper expectations 

I definitely agree that we need to temper expectations. I don't think we have such a player whom another team would mortgage their future for, but I would be happy obtaining some solid bullpen arms, or take a chance on some players with upside. Anything to give us a better chance to compete in the future. We may be playing better than expected, and maybe we have shot at the playoffs, but I see no reason to make a run at the playoffs if we have a chance to improve the club in the long run.

15 hours ago, linedrive said:

I definitely agree that we need to temper expectations. I don't think we have such a player whom another team would mortgage their future for, but I would be happy obtaining some solid bullpen arms, or take a chance on some players with upside. Anything to give us a better chance to compete in the future. We may be playing better than expected, and maybe we have shot at the playoffs, but I see no reason to make a run at the playoffs if we have a chance to improve the club in the long run.

?% agree with you. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 10:22 AM, ScGO's said:

Since the rebuild began, I have been all about trades and adding young talent.  Since the offseason, Elias has traded Villar, Bundy, and now Bleier off of this original list, which I am thrilled by as I see it as progress.

The question now is, do we make any more trades if we are technically in the playoff race?  Personally, I say we go for it in this strange 2020 scenario, as I believe it won't hurt the rebuild and could actually improve a few players trade stock for the 2020/2021 offseason. 

What say you?  Based on service time and value, the following may have value in a trade now, but do we do it if we are in contention?

1) Alex Cobb - Looking really strong as of now.  Has one year left on contract.  If he can keep up his current numbers, we may receive an offer that his hard to refuse.

2) Hanser Alberto - Is he becoming a perennial .300 hitter?  Has two years of control left after this season. 

3) Jose Iglesias - I like the club option for next season, but the way he is playing right now might draw him some interest from a playoff team that needs a SS

4) Pedro Severino - Hitting well with pop; is that enough to hide his terrible D in a trade?  Getting crowded at catcher with Sisco performing, two better D options in Wynns and Holladay, and AR creeping

5) Wade Leblanc / Tommy Millone - Performing fairly well for journeymen. Might draw interest as spot starters or long relief options.

6) Pat Valaika - Pop and some versatility.  Has three years of control left after this season.  Will be 28 in Sept.  Someone might jump on him he continues to hit and they need any extra INF

7) Mychal Givens - Killing it so far, but hasn't had a ton of innings either.  Just turned 30.  Only one more year of control. Could get expensive in arbitration this offseason.

? Miguel Castro - Only two more years of control. I would lock him up now as he is still young and showing great stuff.  If they do trade, better get a haul.

9) Shawn Armstrong - Still 3 years of control after this season, but is 30 years old.  Looking stronger this season.  If he keeps it up, I think someone could bite.

10) Trey Mancini - Obviously not in a position to be traded right now.  However, if he fully recovers, the idea has to be discussed again as only has 2 years of service left after this season.  

After trading Bundy, Villar, and Bleier earlier in the season, it was nice to see Elias add Castro, Givens, and Milone to the list.

Looking at the rest who weren't traded, you can see Elias trying to play the balancing game of service time/cost and maxing out the player's value in a potential trade. 

Hanser, Armstrong, Severino, and even Valaikia are controllable and still potentially getting better.  They have time to prove they are as good or better than what they have done in a season and a half.  Add Fry, Scott, Nunez, and Santander to that list next year.

Cobb probably has more value in the offseason if he can finish strong.

Iglesias is valuable to us next year as our starting SS and could potentially have more value at next year's trade deadline if he can swing a decent stick.

It will be interesting to see how Elias will approach Mancini at next year's trade deadline if he does return and perform.