As team rebuilds, Orioles have big plans for its main jewel, Camden Yards

Going Underground

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nickel beer night in Cleveland.  Throw down a $5 bill and ask for 100 beers. By the late innings fans were chasing players around the field, the game was forfeited, and the league president told the Indians in no uncertain terms that this kind of thing wasn't going to happen again.

it was ten cent beer. both of us got it wrong.  LOL

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/142952-ten-cent-beer-night-the-worst-idea-ever

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Number5 said:

LOL  Blair High School has a family of geese that takes up residence out by the right-center field fence each year.  I've never seen or heard of a play where the geese interfered with a player trying to retrieve a ball, but if it did occur, the umpires would kill the play and place the runners by umpires' judgment. 

So another half-remembered, probably half-true story, I'm sure from an old Bill James abstract... Cap Anson was the big, loud blustry star of the NL in the 1870s-90s.  In the days before modern groundskeeping one of the other teams in the league kept a donkey to munch on the outfield grass.  During a game against Chicago the donkey slipped back onto the field through an open gate without anyone really noticing.  The ball got hit past Anson at first, he went to chase it down and came face-to-face with the donkey. Anson was a big man, who often bullied his way around  But he didn't want anything to do with with this kind of surly old donkey.  So the ball sat there on the ground near the donkey as the runner ran all the way around the bases for an inside-the-park homer.  

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So another half-remembered, probably half-true story, I'm sure from an old Bill James abstract... Cap Anson was the big, loud blustry star of the NL in the 1870s-90s.  In the days before modern groundskeeping one of the other teams in the league kept a donkey to munch on the outfield grass.  During a game against Chicago the donkey slipped back onto the field through an open gate without anyone really noticing.  The ball got hit past Anson at first, he went to chase it down and came face-to-face with the donkey. Anson was a big man, who often bullied his way around  But he didn't want anything to do with with this kind of surly old donkey.  So the ball sat there on the ground near the donkey as the runner ran all the way around the bases for an inside-the-park homer.  

LOL.  So the donkey made an ass out of him?  Or got his goat?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Don't the lower box and club level seats have more room.  I went to the upper deck last year for the first time in many many years as the moon bounce was up there.  And I noticed that the seats in the upper deck didn't even have cup holders.  I wonder how much money they save on the lack of cup holders. It was kind of shocking to me that the seats didn't have them. 

My seats 13 rows behind 1B don’t have a lot of leg room.   Also, the cupholders attached to the backs of the row in front of us don’t line up with our seats, creating confusion as to which seat the cup holder belongs to.   The far left seat in the row has no cup holder directly in front of it; instead, it’s 3-4 inches to the right, directly in front of the knee of the person in the second seat in the row; and so on down the line.   It’s pretty awkward reaching in front of some stranger sitting to your right to grab your beer from in front of his/her seat.    Not that comfortable sitting with a cup holder right in front of your knee, either.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

us boomers were in the stands.

watching celebrities try and ride. It was like WPOC vs some Orioles, or something like that, back in the day.

I guess I get it if it was going on a century ago and the alternate form of entertainment was reading Chaucer by a dim and malodorous whale-oil lamp.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess I get it if it was going on a century ago and the alternate form of entertainment was reading Chaucer by a dim and malodorous whale-oil lamp.

beats watching the real housewives of any city tv reality show. :) :) :)

It was a fun evening to raise money for a worthy charity, wasnt meant to be a Shakespearean night at the Kennedy Center and everybody wearing tails and top hats.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

beats watching the real housewives of any city tv reality show. :) :) :)

It was a fun evening to raise money for a worthy charity, wasnt meant to be a Shakespearean night at the Kennedy Center and everybody wearing tails and top hats.

Just taking every opportunity to mess with the olds before I turn 50.

On 11/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, MurphDogg said:

If they really wanted to do so, they could remove the entire third deck in left field fair territory, which would improve the view into the stadium for the Hilton and the Zenith, and improve the view looking out somewhat (but not of anything as attractive as the Bromo Tower, more like the top of the University of Maryland hospital). Maybe replace that area with a party deck. Obviously, if it were built now, that area would not be 30+ rows deep.

But that is a lot of money to spend just to make tickets artificially more scarce. It would only make sense to do that if the team were to have a financial interest in the Hilton and/or the Zenith.

The entire upper deck could probably lose the back 5-10 rows, but there isn't really much you can do with that space, short of putting up ugly billboards like at FedEx Field.

I know you are talking about a view experience but I would think about the party deck in the LF corner in foil ground. The view is better from LF straight on. That said not sure how it would look with a party deck and then seats on each side. 

I would think about ripping the seats up on the lower level around the LF foul pole. The angle is poor and somehow they can fix that  even if it reduced seats it would be worth it.

On 11/7/2019 at 3:11 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

Once again I'll bring up my plan to remove the center field fence and put the turf area in front of the 30' wall out in between the bullpens and bleachers in play.  There'd be a half dozen inside-the-park homers a year!

?