2019 #14 Prospect: Drew Rom - LHP

Tony-OH

17 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Considering all the baseball schools opening up around the country now that are using Trackman cameras, I think seeing an uptick if the Orioles decide to send him to one of these schools wouldn't surprise me. Read an article a while ago about how now Rays prospect Michael Plassmeyer used one of these schools in college to get better command and better velocity on his pitches, and the results got better every year in college. Something like that for Rom would be massive IMO

It’s Edgertronic cameras and either Trackman, Yakkertech, or Rapsodo (the most common in private facilities) pitch tracking.

The issue with Rom is he seems to have limited shoulder range of motion and that’s what’s limiting the velocity because he doesn’t get a lot of separation at footstrike. That’s just my outside observation so maybe he’s physically able to get more separation and he just needs to be cued into it.

19 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

It’s Edgertronic cameras and either Trackman, Yakkertech, or Rapsodo (the most common in private facilities) pitch tracking.

The issue with Rom is he seems to have limited shoulder range of motion and that’s what’s limiting the velocity because he doesn’t get a lot of separation at footstrike. That’s just my outside observation so maybe he’s physically able to get more separation and he just needs to be cued into it.

Oh, I thought that Trackman was the camera that came with pitch tracking software that helped calculate everything. My mistake. 

35 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Oh, I thought that Trackman was the camera that came with pitch tracking software that helped calculate everything. My mistake. 

Trackman is a radar system that is used mostly at stadiums (because unlike Rapsodo (which does a similar thing) it’s not easily portable. Trackman makes up half of Statcast, capturing all ball movement combined with cameras Chyron Hego cameras that capture player movement.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Trackman is a radar system that is used mostly at stadiums (because unlike Rapsodo (which does a similar thing) it’s not easily portable. Trackman makes up half of Statcast, capturing all ball movement combined with cameras Chyron Hego cameras that capture player movement.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info, Luke. You're the best. 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

Today I met a guy from Rom’s hometown and he said he’d heard about 2 more mph and the presence of a split.  I was intrigued and thought I’d share here.

Extra pitches and extra gas are two positives that can only help. This is very exciting that we have this kind of stuff happening to players in our system. 

• Like 1