Roster moves in the next two days

wildcard

12 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

We need to be targeting the Padres for trades. No 40 man space and good prospects they need to protect. 

They're in good shape on their top 30 in terms of the Rule 5 draft:

San Diego Padres (2)
18) Esteury Ruiz, 2B
25) Buddy Reed, OF
No-brainers to protect: Reed
Could be intriguing to other clubs: N/A

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-prospects-eligible-for-rule-5-draft

1 hour ago, jgjbanker said:

Baseball America has the top 5 organizations with the hardest 40 man decisions to be the Rays, Yankees, Padres, Indians, and Rangers. Would definitely agree now we be a good time to use some of that excess International slot money we haven't used to trade for some Rule V eligible players that another team doesn't have room to protect. 

Or, you know, we could use the international slot money to acquire some young international players.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

Y'all crazy if you really think Gray Fenter is going to be added. That sounds a little bit like over-thinking it to me. 

And YES I will be back to own up to this post when I'm wrong. 

I agree I don't think he will be added.  I of course don't want to lose Fenter, but part of me is very intrigued as to how it would go if a team took him in the Rule V and actually kept him on the ML roster all year. 

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wow, Elias must be down on him, even more so than Tony and Luke! Very disappointing.

Eh, I mean, pretty weak numbers once he got to Bowie. Some health concerns. Not exactly a guy who's lighting it up out there, so I think teams will pass. To us, just putting up any half-decent numbers last year was a huge win for the guy and we should feel good about that. But teams are looking for usefulness, not baby steps. 

• Upvote 1

From the scout series of articles on The Athletic with Dan Connolly, the comments on Sedlock were pretty brutal:

Scout’s take: “Ahh, Sedlock. I finally saw him pitch. He reminds me of Jeff Hoffman (a former Blue Jays first-rounder), and that’s not a good thing. He has a really tough time timing himself (through his delivery). He has a lot of length on the back side and very funky body movement, which makes him very inconsistent. To me, he’s soft-looking on the mound. I would like to see him more confident and with a more aggressive presence. I see him as a bottom-end starter, who is probably gonna pitch in the big leagues because he was a first-round pick. But I think he is gonna be too soft, too many walks, too much picking and not enough challenging there.”

• Upvote 1