Fresh read! Chuck Boemmel: Yusniel for 2020

weams

• weams changed the title to Fresh read! Chuck Boemmel: Yusniel for 2020
17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't expect to see Diaz in 2020 with the O's.    I think he gets the Mountcastle treatment.

The key for Diaz is to reach AAA Norfolk and prove to be healthy for an entire season as his 2019 season was marked by two trips to the injured list which prevented him from advancing past AA Bowie.

I do not think the writer does either. 

• Upvote 1

It’s relative for each team.  He’s young and our best position prospect outside of Rutschman.  And waiting a few weeks will have no impact on 2020.  I have no strong opinion either way.  But I can see an argument for having him start in Norfolk.

11 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

It’s relative for each team.  He’s young and our best position prospect outside of Rutschman.  And waiting a few weeks will have no impact on 2020.  I have no strong opinion either way.  But I can see an argument for having him start in Norfolk.

What other team is playing service time games for a guy ranked where Mountcastle is? 

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Why should the Orioles care what other teams are doing with their non-Oriole players regardless of ranking?

If 29 teams (and the Orioles before Elias) think it isn't worth the effort to try and game a particular type of prospects service time they might be on to something.  Especially with a contentious labor discussion looming.

I might be wrong and someone will prove it but I don't recall anyone of his prospect level having his service clock gamed. 

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If 29 teams (and the Orioles before Elias) think it isn't worth the effort to try and game a particular type of prospects service time they might be on to something.  Especially with a contentious labor discussion looming.

I might be wrong and someone will prove it but I don't recall anyone of his prospect level having his service clock gamed. 

I think it's always good advice to play your own game and not be pulled into someone else's.  The outcome of the upcoming labor negotiation is so unpredictable at this point that I wouldn't feel the need to factor it into individual minor league personnel decisions.  I probably wouldn't consider it at all.  Until GM's are hired and paid by the MLBPA I will expect them to act in the best interest of the team that employs them which often translates into purely financial decisions favoring management.

I think the players have a legitimate beef here, but I don't fault management for taking full advantage of existing rules.

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I think it's always good advice to play your own game and not be pulled into someone else's.  The upcoming labor negotiation is so unpredictable at this point that I wouldn't feel the need to factor it into individual minor league personnel decisions.  I probably wouldn't consider it at all.  Until GM's are hired and paid by the MLBPA I will expect them to act in the best interest of the team that employs them which often translates into purely financial decisions favoring management.

I think the players have a legitimate beef here, but I don't fault management for taking full advantage of existing rules.

And those interests have not included gaming the service times of this type of prospect.

Mountcastle had a chance to gain valuable experience in the field and at the plate, experience he could have taken with him in the offseason, like Means did the year prior.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And those interests have not included gaming the service times of this type of prospect.

Mountcastle had a chance to gain valuable experience in the field and at the plate, experience he could have taken with him in the offseason, like Means did the year prior.

What can I say?  Times have changed.  Radically.  Especially in terms of player valuations within the context of a particular team's circumstances.  We started talking about it during the 2017-2018 offseason and the trend has only become more pronounced since then.

I wouldn't be surprised if gaming the service time of prospects of Mountcastle's caliber is the new normal and will remain that way until the basis for making those decisions is collectively bargained away.