Miclat at Aberdeen

rooter

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know what to say in response -- looks like you were going for effect and not furthering a discussion :confused: I'll give it a shot...

Healthy Miclat = Roberts-light (less power)/Pedroia-light (less power/more arm).

Injured Miclat = AAAA player that is a ML-fielder but doesn't have the arm consistency for SS and doesn't hit enough.

Not sure whether he'll fully-recover best guess at this point Miclat = Conservative estimate of a middle-of-the-road hitter whose command of the strikezone won't help him as much if his bat speed isn't all-the-way there and pitchers can come right at him. Fringy-SS (because of arm strength) but could handle it. I equate that to Jason Donald (again with the concession that I don't enjoy making comparisons but understand why people ask for them). Donald has more raw power (larger frame) but I view him as a fringy-SS (range and arm) that fits in best as a bottom 1/3 of the order gap-to-gap guy.

I'll be right here on the edge of my seat, awaiting your one-liner....

I apologize for my lack of explanation - no offense was intended. But Donald - as you just said - is a much bigger guy who most project to 2nd base. And gleening from what I've read about the 2 and what they've done, Donald has far more power potential and hitting potential than Miclat - who doesn't seem to be anywhere near the prospect Donald is - much less anywhere near the potential of Pedroia. Pedroia is clearly not a bottom of the order type hitter - He's one of the outstanding young players in the game. It seems strange to me to compare him to players who appear to be far more talented, but maybe I'm missing something.

I apologize for my lack of explanation - no offense was intended. But Donald - as you just said - is a much bigger guy who most project to 2nd base. And gleening from what I've read about the 2 and what they've done, Donald has far more power potential and hitting potential than Miclat - who doesn't seem to be anywhere near the prospect Donald is - much less anywhere near the potential of Pedroia. Pedroia is clearly not a bottom of the order type hitter - He's one of the outstanding young players in the game. It seems strange to me to compare him to players who appear to be far more talented, but maybe I'm missing something.

Well, I think I laid out my explanation a little better in the post you quoted. Also note Pedroia wasn't projected by most to be a top-of-the-order hitter. I'm not a huge fan of Donald -- very solid but unspectacular -- and that's sort of how I think Miclat turns out. Upper end of the spectrum is Brian Roberts with less power and a Pedroia-like strikezone awareness/ability to put the ball in play. Bottom of the spectrum AAAA guy. Middle-of-the-road, solid regular but nothing special.

Well, I think I laid out my explanation a little better in the post you quoted. Also note Pedroia wasn't projected by most to be a top-of-the-order hitter. I'm not a huge fan of Donald -- very solid but unspectacular -- and that's sort of how I think Miclat turns out. Upper end of the spectrum is Brian Roberts with less power and a Pedroia-like strikezone awareness/ability to put the ball in play. Bottom of the spectrum AAAA guy. Middle-of-the-road, solid regular but nothing special.

Thanks - I appreciate your thoughts. I'm a little surprised, because Pedroia was a stud at AZ State, and I thought he was always extremely highly regarded. Unless what I heard is wrong, Ian Kinsler transferred because he couldn't beat him out at SS. But what matters is that he's a great player - now.

Thanks - I appreciate your thoughts. I'm a little surprised, because Pedroia was a stud at AZ State, and I thought he was always extremely highly regarded. Unless what I heard is wrong, Ian Kinsler transferred because he couldn't beat him out at SS. But what matters is that he's a great player - now.

I think the concerns with Pedroia related to strength. He was among the best in all of minor league baseall in not striking out, which is a huge deal -- it just didn't look like he'd have much pop (21 HR in 1040 MiL AB). Solid but unspectacular average (around .300 above HiA) and very good OBP .385ish above HiA. Solid gap-to-gap power with 58 2B in 264 H above HiA.

This is sort of what I see as Miclat's tragectory if things go well.

Healthy Miclat = Roberts-light (less power)/Pedroia-light (less power/more arm).

I think this is a bit of a reach if the primary support is just the sophomore year's statistics. Miclat does seem to have a nice upside and perhaps if he had been healthy he could have gone a round or two earlier. There are probably 100 kids per draft, three to five per team, that "could have gone earlier".

We'll see with Miclat. What I do know is that Roberts was a prolific hitter and was taken in the first round on merit. I do not see near-all star capabilities in Miclat's future, but a best case of slightly above average, every day major league SS.

I think this is a bit of a reach if the primary support is just the sophomore year's statistics. Miclat does seem to have a nice upside and perhaps if he had been healthy he could have gone a round or two earlier. There are probably 100 kids per draft, three to five per team, that "could have gone earlier".

We'll see with Miclat. What I do know is that Roberts was a prolific hitter and was taken in the first round on merit. I do not see near-all star capabilities in Miclat's future, but a best case of slightly above average, every day major league SS.

I'm not a huge stat guy (I'm fuctional in stat analysis, but not fluent) -- my comparison is primarily from watching Micalt play. I thought the stats were interesting, though.

As an aside, a slightly above-average every day MLer, to me, is synonomous with "Brian Roberts-light" or "Dustin Pedroia-light". Just to give you an idea of where I am coming from. Looks like our views aren't really that far apart.

I'm not a huge stat guy (I'm fuctional in stat analysis, but not fluent) -- my comparison is primarily from watching Micalt play. I thought the stats were interesting, though.

As an aside, a slightly above-average every day MLer, to me, is synonomous with "Brian Roberts-light" or "Dustin Pedroia-light". Just to give you an idea of where I am coming from. Looks like our views aren't really that far apart.

I've seen him play too, many times, and your comparison to Pedroia is pretty accurate. He won't hit homers, but he'll get on-base, steal bases, and play great defense (assuming his shoulder comes around).

Archived