Miclat at Aberdeen

rooter

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there last night, he looked pretty good, hit the ball hard a couple of times, also appeared to have a decent arm with one ball deep in the hole that he got and easily threw the guy out. Don't know how fast they Tri-city guy was though.

One observation, he has a very wide stance for a guy 5'9.:eek:

I was there last night, he looked pretty good, hit the ball hard a couple of times, also appeared to have a decent arm with one ball deep in the hole that he got and easily threw the guy out. Don't know how fast they Tri-city guy was though.

I was out there last night [parental pride]because my son was in the color guard[/parental pride] and concur with the baseball evaluation.

He does seem to have the butt of a much larger individual.

On an unrelated topic, does Jacob Julius get released after this year? He's having an identical season to last, as far as I can tell.

I was out there last night [parental pride]because my son was in the color guard[/parental pride] and concur with the baseball evaluation.

He does seem to have the butt of a much larger individual.

On an unrelated topic, does Jacob Julius get released after this year? He's having an identical season to last, as far as I can tell.

Possibly. He's actually having a worse year overall. Last year he showed good patience at the plate with a lot of walks and a decent OBP. This year he's only walked 16 times vs 44 strikeouts. His average is slightly higher at .230 but pretty bad overall. I was hoping for better from him this year.

We'll know a lot more this time next year. I like the pick -- I think he has the ceiling of an everyday SS with gap-to-gap power (single digit HR) and a ideally a bottom 1/3 of the order bat. Not a huge fan of "comparisons" since I think every player is usually a pretty unique package when you break them down, but maybe something like Jason Donald?

We'll know a lot more this time next year. I like the pick -- I think he has the ceiling of an everyday SS with gap-to-gap power (single digit HR) and a ideally a bottom 1/3 of the order bat. Not a huge fan of "comparisons" since I think every player is usually a pretty unique package when you break them down, but maybe something like Jason Donald?

Doubtful. Donald probably has the power to hit ~20HR a year.

I think he would be a good top of the lineup kind of guy; He seems like a roberts type of player.

I think he would be a good top of the lineup kind of guy; He seems like a roberts type of player.

He probably needs to add about 20lbs to reach Roberts stature. The positive he does appear to hit the ball pretty hard. Makes nice contact.

Pre-surgery Miclat was actually very much like Roberts, but with less power. Also, Miclat was a very good base-stealer -- Roberts was prolific.

As sophs:

Roberts/Miclat

PA/BB - 6.2/5.4

PA/SO - 8.8/13.9

OBP - .453/.486

%hits for XB - 40%/25%

I think these are correct, though all I have at my office is some chicken scratch on a pad (I was using these for an article that was lost and is now being re-written). The point to take away is that, as good as Roberts is he wasn't projected to be a stud top-of-the-order bat. He really maxed out, and that's great. Miclat ideally projects to around a #7 hitter who can spray the ball around hit gap-to-gap. Maybe he maxes out and can fit in as a lead-off hitter, but he is still regaining strength in his shoulder and still regaining bat speed. It's a stretch to just assume he'll go right back to being pre-surgery Miclat, who projects much closer to Roberts.

EDIT: As an aside, I just read an earlier post where I wrote that he reminds me a bit of Pedroia with a better arm(which I think works). If he returns to form, he'll be a very tough strikeout with solid gap-to-gap pop and the hands/arm/range to stay at SS. Not sure about the HR power until we see his strength next year.

Do you remember how wide Ricky Henderson's stance could get, and how small his strike zone could get? I would imagine at some point someone told Miclat that if he could hit with a wide stance he could decrease the size of his strike zone.

I'm not getting that comparison - even a little bit.

Do you remember how wide Ricky Henderson's stance could get, and how small his strike zone could get? I would imagine at some point someone told Miclat that if he could hit with a wide stance he could decrease the size of his strike zone.
I understand there was a guy in a Twin Cities bathroom with a pretty wide stance. But I think he was trying to increase the size of his strike zone.

I'm not getting that comparison - even a little bit.

I don't know what to say in response -- looks like you were going for effect and not furthering a discussion :confused: I'll give it a shot...

Healthy Miclat = Roberts-light (less power)/Pedroia-light (less power/more arm).

Injured Miclat = AAAA player that is a ML-fielder but doesn't have the arm consistency for SS and doesn't hit enough.

Not sure whether he'll fully-recover best guess at this point Miclat = Conservative estimate of a middle-of-the-road hitter whose command of the strikezone won't help him as much if his bat speed isn't all-the-way there and pitchers can come right at him. Fringy-SS (because of arm strength) but could handle it. I equate that to Jason Donald (again with the concession that I don't enjoy making comparisons but understand why people ask for them). Donald has more raw power (larger frame) but I view him as a fringy-SS (range and arm) that fits in best as a bottom 1/3 of the order gap-to-gap guy.

I'll be right here on the edge of my seat, awaiting your one-liner....

Archived