If you are going to move Villar to save money you might as well release Davis

atomic

19 minutes ago, Scalious said:

The big market teams can sure blame them. They are footing the bill to cover the teams operating cost while you don't attract any fans to the stands.

Maybe the Orioles can play all road games and be baseballs version of the Washington Generals. 

4 hours ago, atomic said:

If you want to make fans deal with losing our best player over not wanting to pay his salary than the team should at least have the decency to release Chris Davis and not make their fans go through another season of him hitting .170 and striking out all time.   I know there have been a lot of release Chris Davis threads but what is the point of having Davis on the roster?  To save 550k over a guy  making the minimum.  Well they just saved $10 million by getting rid of Villar.   Davis has already stated that he isn't changing his batting stance or approach.  

Time to do something positive for the fans.  

Yikes...I think I agree with your assessment here.  

3 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

As long as Davis sits on the roster and does not play, then fine.  Let Mancini play first to open up the outfield and DH spots to the younger players.

This times 1000!  I like the guy and don't mind him as the 26th guy on the bench/player coach.  But if he plays then he is blocking someone, whether it be Mountcastle coming up or Mancini playing first.  If the Orioles truly are trying to evaluate talent, then playing Davis every day or even the majority of the time is counter productive to that argument.  

4 hours ago, atomic said:

If you want to make fans deal with losing our best player over not wanting to pay his salary than the team should at least have the decency to release Chris Davis and not make their fans go through another season of him hitting .170 and striking out all time.   I know there have been a lot of release Chris Davis threads but what is the point of having Davis on the roster?  To save 550k over a guy  making the minimum.  Well they just saved $10 million by getting rid of Villar.   Davis has already stated that he isn't changing his batting stance or approach.  

Time to do something positive for the fans.  

First of all, there's really no connection between the two (Davis and Villar).

Second of all, I believe that Elias would release Davis if he could, I think this decision has been taken out of his hands (or else he agreed with ownership when he took the job that Davis would get X amount of time, and we have not reached X yet).

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, Elias said everything is all about their "strategic objectives, which prioritize the future right now." 

How does keeping Chris Davis address that? We all get he's a sunk cost, but what strategic objective includes keeping around the biggest albatross contract in baseball. The one that hopes he gets hurt and they can recoup some money through insurance? The one that hopes Davis will tire of being a laughing stock and retire? 

You're right, releasing Villar saves them money while keeping Davis does not, but keeping Davis also doesn't focus on strategic objectives, which prioritize the future right now!

Which is why m any of us believe the decision is out of Elias's hands.   Either by order of ownership, or an agreement when Elias took the job that Davis would get a certain amount of time.

51 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

This times 1000!  I like the guy and don't mind him as the 26th guy on the bench/player coach.  But if he plays then he is blocking someone, whether it be Mountcastle coming up or Mancini playing first.  If the Orioles truly are trying to evaluate talent, then playing Davis every day or even the majority of the time is counter productive to that argument.  

Yes.  Benching Davis allows you to have this type of alignment:

1B: Mancini

CF Hays

DH/LF/RF Santander, Stewart, Mountcastle, Diaz (when he's ready)

In other words, one of Santander, Stewart, Mountcastle, Diaz doesn't play if Davis is a regular.  

1 hour ago, Scalious said:

The big market teams can sure blame them. They are footing the bill to cover the teams operating cost while you don't attract any fans to the stands.

The Yankees can afford it. Let em whine. Fix the system! Otherwise let's game that system as much as we can. 

4 hours ago, 7Mo said:

I feel terrible for them.

I don''t care about the big teams money being taken. Its the cause/effect of MLB teams apathy towards fielding competitive teams in lieu of making profit margins. NBA can get away with tanking teams as they are very good at selling starpower. Drawing national appeal.

The backbone of baseball is local interest for each team. It's a not a star driven league. Right now,? Baseball is still making more money as a whole. Competitive balance is trending the wrong direction each year though.  Most people think baseball will just decline gradually, but i'm worried about a collapse due to a lot of unsustainable factors that are propping it up financially.  Like a small percentage kinda thing, all be it.

Edited by Scalious
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scalious said:

I don''t care about the big teams money being taken. Its the cause/effect of MLB teams apathy towards fielding competitive teams in lieu of making profit margins. NBA can get away with tanking teams as they are very good at selling starpower. Drawing national appeal.

The backbone of baseball is local interest for each team. It's a not a star driven league. Right now,? Baseball is still making more money as a whole. Competitive balance is trending the wrong direction each year though.  Most people think baseball will just decline gradually, but i'm worried about a collapse due to a lot of unsustainable factors that are propping it up financially.  Like a small percentage kinda thing, all be it.

I'm completely convinced this Elias approach is the very best hope for the O's to become a really good team/organization. I hope they stay the course and not try to shortcut it.

If MLB makes changes later, great. But since the O's don't control how MLB operates, I'm not sure we should be worried about the sport as a whole.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, Elias said everything is all about their "strategic objectives, which prioritize the future right now." 

How does keeping Chris Davis address that? We all get he's a sunk cost, but what strategic objective includes keeping around the biggest albatross contract in baseball. The one that hopes he gets hurt and they can recoup some money through insurance? The one that hopes Davis will tire of being a laughing stock and retire? 

You're right, releasing Villar saves them money while keeping Davis does not, but keeping Davis also doesn't focus on strategic objectives, which prioritize the future right now!

I can only assume one of their strategic objectives is hoping Chris Davis gets sick of failing and retires, if they’re patient enough.    Because I can’t think of any other explanation.   

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can only assume one of their strategic objectives is hoping Chris Davis gets sick of failing and retires, if they’re patient enough.    Because I can’t think of any other explanation.   

Or maybe replace "retires" with some agreement to walk away, further defer payments and transition to some sort of public relations/charitable work type position.

Which, I guess is still "retires" but maybe make it easier for him to accept.

I have been on the "DFA Chris Davis" bandwagon probably at least since early part of last season....I understand all the arguments, pro and con and do not intend to rehash them, but rather to ask anyone who continues to see his presence on the roster as somehow absurdly inevitable because "Angelos doesn't save anything by releasing him".....just exactly how long does that argument  last ?   I mean until the very last dollar of the last year of his contract is gone?  Or is there somewhere before that when  his release from the roster becomes the only rational position for us as fans to take?   Does anyone think he will be here until his contract expires (not the deferred payments obviously, just the playing contract)? 

I see no scenario where he walks away by retiring from any part of this contract, in any fashion or at any reduction of the obligations of this deal of any type.   The ball is only in the court of the owner.  If it is only up to the player, then the player will sit right there on the roster till the last day of the contract, imho. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Yes.  Benching Davis allows you to have this type of alignment:

CF Hays

DH/LF/RF Santander, Stewart, Mountcastle, Diaz (when he's ready)

In other words, one of Santander, Stewart, Mountcastle, Diaz doesn't play if Davis is a regular.  

This is what will put the heat on management to get rid of him but unfortunately it probably requires this,

LF: Mountcastle

CF: Hays

RF: Santander

DH: Nunez

Bench OF/DH: Stewart, Smith Jr.

We probably need all of those players functioning at a decent level, to really force Elias’ hand.