Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

MurphDogg

40 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

At the end of the day, we traded Bundy for four fringe prospects. Similar to the kind of return we got for Kevin Gausman that everyone was so upset with, including me at the time.  Now it ended up that Gausman was so bad in 2019 with the Braves (after pitching like a no. 2 starter for them after the trade in 18) that they released him.  And Jordan Zimmerman developed into a top 20ish prospect.  I don't think any of us could have seen that coming. 

I would have rather we gave it to the deadline in 2020 because there is always the chance that Bundy ends up pitching like a borderline All-Star and is able to net a much better return from a team desperate for pitching.  Bundy is trending up when you compare his 2018 to 2019.  I think there is a better chance he puts it together this season than any of the prospects we acquired in this trade providing any kind of significant major league value. 

This seems (like the Villar move) to be a money first move rather than maximizing future value.  I don't love it.  But not gonna boycott the team over it either. 

You mean Bruce Zimmerman?

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Fastball ticked up a bit later in the season.  92-93 is better than 89-92.   Maybe he's able to hold that 92-93 velocity more often in 2020.  His secondaries are very good. 

It's not all about the velocity. All of his pitches lack horizontal movement. Saying that, i think he will be better in Los Angeles because the park is bigger, but he's not going to suddenly become a TOR. Can he be effective and maybe a solid 4th starter, sure.

• Upvote 1

I like this more than the Villar trade.  But it strikes me as the type of trade that Duquette would have made-quantity over quality and hope one of them gives you a few ML bullpen innings.  I’d rather have one good prospect over four fringe guys.  But I’m more open to waiting and seeing on this trade.  Will be interesting to see what bounce back candidates coming off crappy years get $1M contracts to fill out the rotation for half to 3/4 of the season before Akin, Zimmerman and Kremer are ready for their auditions.

A couple of thoughts on this...

A sign of a good system isn’t a top 30, it’s a top 50, or top 75.  Elias came into this with a pretty thin system after the top 25, largely because of our lack of international signings.  We’re about to have 3 picks in the top 40 in the upcoming draft.  We did actually sign players in this year’s int’l period.  We’re improving our depth to go along with our high draft picks.

It’s interesting that Elias has gotten back 4 recent, NCAA, draftee SPs. Another NCAA P in Mattson. It corresponds with how Elias drafted in 2019. We didn’t draft and sign a single HS pitcher. 

With the way that our prospects trajectories lineup, it looks like we’re going to develop our “future” lineup first, then bullpen, then rotation. Hall, Rodriguez, and possibly Hancock(#2), will be our TOR starters, and Elias is acquiring as many lotto tickets as possible to fill out the rest of the rotation. 

Well I think teams know that we’re open for business. I think Givens is gone. You could argue that Mancini is at peak value. Mancini might be a winter meetings kind of thing. Alberto and Severino could generate some interest. At this point nothing would surprise me except Means traded. 

If Elias is offered a SP, similar to the ones we’ve acquired so far, for Alberto and/or Severino, would he do that trade?

Edited by sportsfan8703

7 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

That whole striking out 19 AAA batters in 9 innings has to be something doesn't it?

I think so - even in small sample size theater - the PCL is not easy to pitch in.  Btw, that's Isaac Mattson.  Don't the O's already have a Zach Matson?  It's so confusing.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well I think teams know that we’re open for business. I think Givens is gone. You could argue that Mancini is at peak value. Mancini might be a winter meetings kind of thing. Alberto and Severino could generate some interest. At this point nothing would surprise me except Means traded. 

If Elias is offered a SP, similar to the ones we’ve acquired so far, for Alberto and/or Severino, would he do that trade?

Mancini, Alberto, and Severino are still cheap. From that standpoint, they are more valuable to the Orioles than Bundy and Villar.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mancini, Alberto, and Severino are still cheap. From that standpoint, they are more valuable to the Orioles than Bundy and Villar.

But the magic question is what will their value be in 2022+?  They’ll be in arbitration and likely trending down. Why keep players just to be in a non tender situation?