Chance Adams?

shaggyjay

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He's basically in the same boat that Akin is in.  He's a few months younger, but has two less options.  

Adams

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=adams-008cha

Akin

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=akin--000kee

Here's what the write up from MLB pipeline said in 2018,

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Slider: 55 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

Though Adams only started for one of his three college seasons and dominated as a reliever while reaching high Class A in his 2015 pro debut, the Yankees decided to move him to the rotation. It's hard to argue with the results, as he went 28-6 with a 2.40 ERA and 279 strikeouts in 277 2/3 innings in 2016-17. He led the Triple-A International League in opponent average (.197) last season after topping the entire Minors (.169) the year before.

After sitting at 93-95 mph with his fastball in his first two seasons as pro starter, Adams had offseason surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow and has operated at 91-93 in 2018. His slider has lost a couple of ticks of velocity as well and isn't as sharp as it has been in the past.

Besides regaining his velocity, the key for Adams to reaching his upside as a No. 3 starter will be refining his changeup into a solid third offering. He also has a curveball that's his fourth-best pitch yet still qualifies as average. He lives on the corners and the bottom of the strike zone, making it difficult to square him up.

These scouting grades are always so ridiculous. If the guy had for major league average to slightly above average pitches he wold be a very effective major league starter right now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Another guy to consider is Adolis Garcia, 26 year old RF from the Cardinals. He's had an .818, .781 and .817 OPS in the PCL the last 3 years. 

Must have a hell of an arm with all those outfield assists. Looks like a guy with plate discipline issues who can't hit for a high average to offset that. Still, there seems to be some tools to work from. I wouldn't claim him and use a 40-man spot on him, but I would sign him for AAA and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Must have a hell of an arm with all those outfield assists. Looks like a guy with plate discipline issues who can't hit for a high average to offset that. Still, there seems to be some tools to work from. I wouldn't claim him and use a 40-man spot on him, but I would sign him for AAA and see what happens.

He does.

https://www.milb.com/video/garcia-throws-out-wong-at-third/c-1840473683

• Upvote 1

Adolis Garcia from MLBTR:

Garcia, 27 in March, appeared in 21 games with the Cards in 2018 but went just 2-for-17 in a tiny sample of work at the plate. Garcia signed for a $2.5MM bonus with the Cards in 2017 after leaving his native Cuba and was ranked ninth among St. Louis farmhands by Baseball America that winter. However, his blend of raw power, speed and arm strength has yet to generate the offensive results the Cardinals had hoped in the upper minors.

This past season, Garcia spent the entire year with Triple-A Memphis, where he batted .253/.301/.517 with 32 home runs, 22 doubles, six triples and 14 steals. While the counting numbers may look solid, the juiced ball in Triple-A led to a leaguewide home run spike that makes Garcia’s power output worth raising an eyebrow toward. He hit 10 fewer home runs in 100 fewer plate appearances a year prior. Beyond that, Garcia was highly inefficient in terms of stealing bases (14-for-24), and he struck out in 30.1 percent of his plate appearances while walking at a lowly 4.2 percent clip.

It seems clear that there’s some raw and perhaps yet-untapped ability in Garcia, who does have minor league options remaining. As such, he could hold appeal to another club in a minor trade or via a waiver claim if he reaches that point. The Cardinals have a week to deal Garcia or run him through waivers in hopes that he’ll clear and be able to continue on as a depth piece in the minors.

28 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Adolis Garcia from MLBTR:

Garcia, 27 in March, appeared in 21 games with the Cards in 2018 but went just 2-for-17 in a tiny sample of work at the plate. Garcia signed for a $2.5MM bonus with the Cards in 2017 after leaving his native Cuba and was ranked ninth among St. Louis farmhands by Baseball America that winter. However, his blend of raw power, speed and arm strength has yet to generate the offensive results the Cardinals had hoped in the upper minors.

This past season, Garcia spent the entire year with Triple-A Memphis, where he batted .253/.301/.517 with 32 home runs, 22 doubles, six triples and 14 steals. While the counting numbers may look solid, the juiced ball in Triple-A led to a leaguewide home run spike that makes Garcia’s power output worth raising an eyebrow toward. He hit 10 fewer home runs in 100 fewer plate appearances a year prior. Beyond that, Garcia was highly inefficient in terms of stealing bases (14-for-24), and he struck out in 30.1 percent of his plate appearances while walking at a lowly 4.2 percent clip.

It seems clear that there’s some raw and perhaps yet-untapped ability in Garcia, who does have minor league options remaining. As such, he could hold appeal to another club in a minor trade or via a waiver claim if he reaches that point. The Cardinals have a week to deal Garcia or run him through waivers in hopes that he’ll clear and be able to continue on as a depth piece in the minors.

Garcia reminds me a bit of Nunez without having looked at the stats.

And yes, I would grab Chance Adams and run.  He was a legit rotation possibility a few years ago.  Potential upside there.

So Adams has above average fastball spin, but terrible spin efficiency, so it moves less than it should.

He has elite curveball spin, but the spin axis for his curveball is more similar to a slider than a true curveball, so it limits the effectiveness of the pitch. 

There are definitely some attributes that are interesting and he'd be worth a claim to try and fix these issues I mentioned above, but at his present velocity range, I'm not sure if I'd give up much in the way of a waiver trade to get him if that's necessary. 

• Upvote 3