O's 40 man roster is full

wildcard

Mullins should get one more year to see if he can bounce back from last season. I think Smith will be the first OF off the roster. Possibly Wilkerson too if you consider him an OF.

I feel like there are a lot of pitchers that could be removed without any effect other than whoever puts names on jerseys. Right now there seems to be a lot of RP without a lot of promise. Someone needs to eat up innings...it can’t be bullpen day every day.

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

It's an interesting exercise to rank the bottom of the 40 man, but I don't think the decisions will be particularly meaningful. When they choose to DFA person x instead of person y, I'll shrug and assume there's a good chance that person won't be claimed anyway.

Long time till March. We gotta talk about something...

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

We need to clear some dead weight at the bottom of it, if nothing else to be able to make waiver claims. The Cards just put an interesting OF on waivers today I believe. 

I think you're talking about Adolis Garcia right? I'm honestly not that impressed. You have to take his numbers with a grain of salt because he posted them in the Pacific League. Terrible OBP guy too and his stolen bases are misleading. He was caught stealing 10 out of 24 times last season. No MLB team is going to let him run with that type of success rate. He

Man, a quick look at the 40-man shows a bunch of lumberjacks.

I don’t know why anybody’s fighting over the 40 man: just looking at the pitchers, Diplan, Hanhold, Sulser, Phillips, Hess and Tate(Despite yesterday’s silly article) could be dumped yesterday and no one would notice. I’ll bet ten bucks 5 of these six names ARE dumped, and dumped before the Super Bowl too. 

Like the Taylor Swift song says:

”Just another pitcher to burn...”

?

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Man, a quick look at the 40-man shows a bunch of lumberjacks.

I don’t know why anybody’s fighting over the 40 man: just looking at the pitchers, Diplan, Hanhold, Sulser, Phillips, Hess and Tate(Despite yesterday’s silly article) could be dumped yesterday and no one would notice. I’ll bet ten bucks 5 of these six names ARE dumped, and dumped before the Super Bowl too. 

Like the Taylor Swift song says:

”Just another pitcher to burn...”

?

I don't know if we're in a position to get rid of any pitching that is in play for the MLB next year.  The FA dust will settle, we'll trade Givens, pick up a SS and C on a milb deal, and DFA Wynns and Valaika.  That's three spots right there. 

Smith Jr. is going to be our OD LF.  

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't know if we're in a position to get rid of any pitching that is in play for the MLB next year.  The FA dust will settle, we'll trade Givens, pick up a SS and C on a milb deal, and DFA Wynns and Valaika.  That's three spots right there. 

How do you figure? I would say Santander/Hays/Mancini. I don't think Smith brings much now that Hays is in the picture. 

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I  guess they could if they could find someone better for little money.   But that is the catch.  They have to find someone better for the little money.

No they don't. The marginal cost of finding someone a little worse to fill in on a very bad team is probably less than the gain of keeping an arm that has a more than negligible chance to stick. 

The truth is that the choices will likely be between two guys with a marginal upside versus marginal present value description. E.g., low value versus low value. There's a certain freedom that comes with that, which is nice I guess.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

My point is that the guys I mentioned or not MLB quality pitchers. They are also pretty much known quantities, and that quantity is sparse, shall we say. We will certainly have a bunch of pitchers on the roster, but if I personally feel it is very unlikely that it will be these guys.

Once you’ve evaluated a guy, there’s no need to keep him once you get another guy to evaluate. The only exception would be a guy who has some kind of mechanical problem that is fixable, and all these guys spent all last season working on stuff and remained terrible. 

Hess Has an advanced degree, he is very smart, and I have no doubt he is going to be a success in his chosen field, but that field is not going to be baseball.

I would rather keep our rule five guys over any of the names I mentioned, simply because they are more unknown, and the best thing we can do right now is to explore the unknowns and see if one of them is worthwhile.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:00 PM, Philip said:

My point is that the guys I mentioned or not MLB quality pitchers. They are also pretty much known quantities, and that quantity is sparse, shall we say. We will certainly have a bunch of pitchers on the roster, but if I personally feel it is very unlikely that it will be these guys.

Once you’ve evaluated a guy, there’s no need to keep him once you get another guy to evaluate. The only exception would be a guy who has some kind of mechanical problem that is fixable, and all these guys spent all last season working on stuff and remained terrible. 

Hess Has an advanced degree, he is very smart, and I have no doubt he is going to be a success in his chosen field, but that field is not going to be baseball.

I would rather keep our rule five guys over any of the names I mentioned, simply because they are more unknown, and the best thing we can do right now is to explore the unknowns and see if one of them is worthwhile.

Hess did well as a multi inning reliever at AAA last year.   I think they continue to transition him from a starter to a mid reliever next season.   He has options.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:22 AM, mdbdotcom said:

Finding room for someone shouldn't be a problem. Any of a half-dozen guys could go without being missed, including the 500-pound elephant on the bench.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:57 AM, Frobby said:

That must be one really tiny elephant.    The typical African bush elephant weighs between 4,400 and 13,000 pounds.   

The TYPICAL elephant didn't sign a huge contract and immediately cease being an elephant either.....

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hess did well as a multi inning reliever at AAA last year.   I think they continue to transition him from a starter to a mid reliever next season.   He has options.

If one of those options is to give up a home run every 8th pitch, he’s certainly taking advantage of it.