Bullpen Coach: Darren Holmes

interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

? Look we're not hiring him for his Twitter skills alright? I think later on he figured out how to reply to tweets.

One of my least favorite athletes is RGIII. It goes back to Washington, but continues to this day with his nauseating twitter feed with tone-deaf motivational/resistant type of lines. 

Not saying this guy's feed is like that. Not saying it's not. I'm just saying.

• Upvote 1

Holmes played for the Orioles in 2000.  He appeared in five games, all of them blowout losses.  He pitched a total of 4 2/3 innings and compiled an ERA of 25.07.

I guess his job as bullpen coach will be to tell the guys as they're leaving the bullpen "Whatever you do out there, don't do it like I did."

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, LookinUp said:

One of my least favorite athletes is RGIII. It goes back to Washington, but continues to this day with his nauseating twitter feed with tone-deaf motivational/resistant type of lines. 

Rise and grind! Wolves and their opinions of sheep, etc.

Adam Jones is the only athlete I follow on Twitter, and if I do follow someone that starts in on motivational cliches I am quick with the unfollow button.

17 hours ago, LookinUp said:

What, no pressure, no diamonds didn't fire you up?  

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent interview of Holmes here: https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/01/how-holmes-joined-orioles-coaching-staff.html

A few excerpts:

A message that Brandon sent early, which really meshes with my personality, he said, ‘These guys are young. They’re talented, they’re young, we have to develop them.’ But he said, ‘The biggest thing I’m worried about is working together and staying very positive.’ Because we know there are going to be tough times here,” Holmes said

“Anyone that understands what a rebuild is, it’s going to be tough times, and this is the best division in the East. So it’s going to be a challenge for these guys, but it’s going to be great for them because they’re playing against some of the best teams in baseball and they’re going to get a chance to be rewarded for good performances against the Yankees or Boston Red Sox or Tampa Bay and Toronto Blue Jays. It’s going to be a tough division and it’s going to be a great challenge for these guys. I’m know we’re looking forward to continuing to develop them and these guys are engaged and I look for good things.”

“I think the main thing with a rebuild, especially with all these young guys, is you have to be very positive with these guys and you’ve got to pay a lot of attention to them and you’ve got to be able to answer their how and why. But for the most part you build relationships with guys. The guys still trust you when you do that. And then go to work,” Holmes said.

“These guys are eager. We have maybe seven or eight guys here right now, we’ve got a couple more guys coming in, and these guys are incredibly engaged in the things that we’re giving them and the message that we’re sending them. They want to be good. I think just talking with the guys, they understand what happened last year, they understand that they need to make improvements for this year and that’s what we’re working with them on.

“We’re identifying guys, identifying the things that they need to work on. We’re meeting with them one-on-one and having one-on-one conversations, and then we’re going out to the bullpen and we’re working on stuff. It’s real exciting. The cool thing about this is that there’s three of us who are working with these pitchers and all three of us are giving the same message. We’re saying the same things. That’s really huge in this baseball world because sometimes one coach can tell a guy something and then two weeks later another coach is telling the guy something different and you’re giving them mixed signals.

“I think by us being united, it’s really going to help the psyche of these young guys.”

•  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1