SPRING TRAINING HELP

BirdMan

My son and I are taking my 14 year old grandson to Oriole spring training in March for four days. This will be all of our first time at Orioles spring training.

We are there for two home games and two road games. Our plan is to only go to one of the away games and take a break one day to do some other things in Sarasota.

I have a number of questions. Let me just jump in.

Are morning practices open to the public? If so, what time can we arrive to watch?

I assume they practice everyday whether there is a home game or an away game. If that is incorrect please tell me.

Is there an allotted time when players do most of their autograph signings or is catch as catch can?

Are the minor league camps at the same location as the big teams?

I know I am probably not asking a thousand things I should be asking, please feel free to give me your expert tips that will help on our trip.

Thanks for any help you can give

2 hours ago, BirdMan said:

My son and I are taking my 14 year old grandson to Oriole spring training in March for four days. This will be all of our first time at Orioles spring training.

We are there for two home games and two road games. Our plan is to only go to one of the away games and take a break one day to do some other things in Sarasota.

I have a number of questions. Let me just jump in.

Are morning practices open to the public? If so, what time can we arrive to watch?

I assume they practice everyday whether there is a home game or an away game. If that is incorrect please tell me.

Is there an allotted time when players do most of their autograph signings or is catch as catch can?

Are the minor league camps at the same location as the big teams?

I know I am probably not asking a thousand things I should be asking, please feel free to give me your expert tips that will help on our trip.

Thanks for any help you can give

When do you plan on going? That tends to determine a few things.

Morning practice is generally open but can start anywhere from 7 am to 10 am and end early (10 am) or up to 2 pm. But that is usually early in camp. Once games start, practice is all over.

Autographs are usually before the game, inside. However, you can also get a fair amount after the games, outside. During home homes, walk along the outside of the stadium on the first base side, go past right field, and there is a parking lot. A lot of players on both teams come out that way and are usually friendly. For away games, best bet is inside before the game, as sometimes it might be tough getting near the bus area.

For the Orioles, the Minor League camp is a few miles away, but 100% worth it. Free parking and games, the players walk right by you ( easy autograph access) and players sit in the bleachers with you. Just bring sunscreen and snacks.

• Upvote 3

Be sure to visit the Amish part of Sarasota and get some fried chicken at Yoder's.  It's fantastic .  You can done in or walk up to a takeout window and take it to the ballpark.  Warning: if you think that, say, 6 pieces might be enough for your group, order 4.  They apparently have giant mutant chickens.  We had 4 people in our group and got chicken for our pregame tailgate, and our host who lives in Tampa was dining on leftovers 4 or 5 days after we left 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Morning practice is generally open but can start anywhere from 7 am to 10 am and end early (10 am) or up to 2 pm. But that is usually early in camp. Once games start, practice is all over.

Autographs are usually before the game, inside. However, you can also get a fair amount after the games, outside. During home homes, walk along the outside of the stadium on the first base side, go past right field, and there is a parking lot. A lot of players on both teams come out that way and are usually friendly. For away games, best bet is inside before the game, as sometimes it might be tough getting near the bus area.

For the Orioles, the Minor League camp is a few miles away, but 100% worth it. Free parking and games, the players walk right by you ( easy autograph access) and players sit in the bleachers with you. Just bring sunscreen and snacks.

My recommendation would be to go to the minor league camp in the morning as the view of practice. The Stadium is closed game day without tickets and parking. But if you do enter when the gates open, the instruction on the field at Ed Smith can be of interest. Back field work is ongoing,  but adventurous to view. 

I agree with all that Steve and Joey have shared.

Thank you for all the info.

We are there March 15-20. I assume most of the minor league players will already be assigned to the minor league camps.

Do you know where I can get the minor league camp address?

Do you know how to get a minor league game schedule? Do they usually coincide with the major league games?

When there is not a home game at the major league camp are visitors allowed to come and watch practices?

Sorry for all of the questions but your responses have generated more questions. Thanks again

12 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

We are there March 15-20. I assume most of the minor league players will already be assigned to the minor league camps.

Do you know how to get a minor league game schedule? Do they usually coincide with the major league games?

When there is not a home game at the major league camp are visitors allowed to come and watch practices?

Sorry for all of the questions but your responses have generated more questions. Thanks again

12 hours ago, SteveA said:

Be sure to visit the Amish part of Sarasota and get some fried chicken at Yoder's.  It's fantastic .  You can done in or walk up to a takeout window and take it to the ballpark.  Warning: if you think that, say, 6 pieces might be enough for your group, order 4.  They apparently have giant mutant chickens.  We had 4 people in our group and got chicken for our pregame tailgate, and our host who lives in Tampa was dining on leftovers 4 or 5 days after we left 

Will do! Thanks

5 hours ago, weams said:

My recommendation would be to go to the minor league camp in the morning as the view of practice. The Stadium is closed game day without tickets and parking. But if you do enter when the gates open, the instruction on the field at Ed Smith can be of interest. Back field work is ongoing,  but adventurous to view. 

I agree with all that Steve and Joey have shared.

From what I have read the park opens on game day 2 hours before game time. Is that correct?

If that is the case wouldn't teams be taking batting practice on the main field at Ed Smith stadium?

If that is true then we would have to see what is happening on the back fields and it seems from what you have indicated that is not easy to see.

Thanks for the advice to go to minor league camp before. We will definitely do that.

Thanks for your help!

14 minutes ago, BirdMan said:

https://www.springtrainingonline.com/teams/baltimore-orioles-4.htm

This has the Minor League address on it. The schedule is posted usually late February/early March, but it isn't garunteed. There *should* be a game or two every day, as A/A+ teams are "home" when AA/AAA teams travel, and vice versa. I don't remember the exact time, but they are early in the day. Again, free parking and free games, with 2 or 3 going on at once.

You can watch MLB practice on the back fields (if you've never been, Ed Smith Stadium is the main field and there are a few smaller fields around.)

The lots open 2 hours before, but there is a small cluster of stores across the street from Ed Smith Stadium you can park in earlier. The Mexican restaurant there is very good too.

There is also a parking lot behind left field, but I'm not sure when it opens. If you get there early (3 hours before the game), you can hang out there and possibly get some batting practice home runs too, as balls can and will bounce out there.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SteveA said:

If I get down there this year, I have to try Yoders. 

9 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

https://www.springtrainingonline.com/teams/baltimore-orioles-4.htm

This has the Minor League address on it. The schedule is posted usually late February/early March, but it isn't garunteed. There *should* be a game or two every day, as A/A+ teams are "home" when AA/AAA teams travel, and vice versa. I don't remember the exact time, but they are early in the day. Again, free parking and free games, with 2 or 3 going on at once.

You can watch MLB practice on the back fields (if you've never been, Ed Smith Stadium is the main field and there are a few smaller fields around.)

The lots open 2 hours before, but there is a small cluster of stores across the street from Ed Smith Stadium you can park in earlier. The Mexican restaurant there is very good too.

There is also a parking lot behind left field, but I'm not sure when it opens. If you get there early (3 hours before the game), you can hang out there and possibly get some batting practice home runs too, as balls can and will bounce out there.

This might give you some idea from 2019 schedule. Released on March 4th.  When you are down should be able to see either a AA/AAA game or the A/A+ game. 

The Aquarium is also nice to see . Not cheap but usually find discounts around.

Special presentations allow you to learn how we care for some of the animals that call Mote home. These sessions are free with regular admission. 
Shark exhibit - 11 a.m. (Monday, Wednesday and Friday)
Manatees - 1:15 p.m. daily
River otters - 1:30 p.m. daily
Crocodilians - 2 p.m. daily
Sea turtles - 3 p.m. daily

http://www.mlbprospectportal.com/2019/03/baltimore-orioles-2019-minor-league-spring-training-schedule.html

https://mote.org/aquarium/hours-location

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

This might give you some idea from 2019 schedule. Released on March 4th.  When you are down should be able to see either a AA/AAA game or the A/A+ game. 

The Aquarium is also nice to see . Not cheap but usually find discounts around.

Special presentations allow you to learn how we care for some of the animals that call Mote home. These sessions are free with regular admission. 
Shark exhibit - 11 a.m. (Monday, Wednesday and Friday)
Manatees - 1:15 p.m. daily
River otters - 1:30 p.m. daily
Crocodilians - 2 p.m. daily
Sea turtles - 3 p.m. daily

http://www.mlbprospectportal.com/2019/03/baltimore-orioles-2019-minor-league-spring-training-schedule.html

https://mote.org/aquarium/hours-location

The aquarium has gone up alot since I have been there. Not worth that much money unless you get a discount. 

Tons of fun things to do in Sarasota.    There’s the Ringling Museum, the Botanical Gardens, and several really nice state parks including one that’s off the same road that the Twin Lakes minor league facility is at (the state park is several miles past there).     And the beaches are awesome.    

Check out Sarasota Jungle Gardens for some non-baseball fun. It's on Tamiami between Fruitville and University, right behind the pirate mini golf.  Hold some parrots, feed flamingos, get up close with crocodiles. It's fun.  Btw, I also recommend Yoders and/or Der Dutchman.  

• Upvote 1

If you like sun & sand, head over to Siesta Key. One of the nicest and largest public beaches anywhere. Beautiful beaches all over that area. A few miles away is Siesta Key village with good restaurants & shops.

A few recommended restaurants:

Columbia - St. Armands Circle

Owens Fish Camp - Downtown

Walt's Fish Market - Tamiami Trail

Yoders - Bahia Vista Street

KaCey's Seafood & More - Fruitville Road

Village Café - Siesta Key  (Breakfast/lunch)

Duval's - Downtown