Koby Perez on progress

tntoriole

Good article today interviewing Koby Perez...he feels that we are on track.  I believe his hiring will turn out to be Elias best move, even more than Sig. 

“We should be signing some of those top guys in 2021,” Perez said. “We have a lot of work done with some 2021 players that we feel that we are the front-runners to sign.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-koby-perez-one-year-20200106-xxie3u5q2ffyrmisgofh4zg4du-story.html

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice article with a fair amount of detail.   Sounds like we are making steady progress with a noticeable leap forward in terms of the top talent still a year away.   But hopefully we can still generate some good prospects out of the 2019 and 2020 classes.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Good article today interviewing Koby Perez...he feels that we are on track.  I believe his hiring will turn out to be Elias best move, even more than Sig. 

“We should be signing some of those top guys in 2021,” Perez said. “We have a lot of work done with some 2021 players that we feel that we are the front-runners to sign.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-koby-perez-one-year-20200106-xxie3u5q2ffyrmisgofh4zg4du-story.html

Music to my ears. That has long been my number one desire for our franchise. 

• Upvote 1

So we're interested in some 14 year old Dominicans.  I wonder why Angelos/McSweatervest thought that this was a risky way to invest money?  But, I'm all for it since they rigged the system in the teams' favor and we don't have to pay out $20 million bonuses anymore.

It is impossible to underscore the significance of where we are today and what we are building toward … and the impact on our minor league talent.  

I know there were a couple of times in the last 10 years when we thought we might be at a similar crossroads with additional scouts and funding coming down the road with AM contemplating guys like Sano and DD's background and FredF's recommended big $ signing bonuses.  I don't mean to disparage those efforts and the promise they once held because I believe it was largely PA who held us back from being a league average effort internationally.

This time, we have appear to have real experts with real relationships, the build out of a quality scouting group, a reduction in top $ investments made by MLB, and a real commitment by ownership.  Even now, it is encouraging that the right people in right international markets know that we are players NOW with real $ to spend if they have the prospects.  Perez lays down the gauntlet/line in the sand:  our J2 2021 class as one where we will get at least our fair share of guys at the top of the market (IMO, that means 1 top 30 guy and another guy in the next 30).  It doesn't seem to require too much hope that we appear to be a year and a half away from that reality!

By far, the most encouraging article of the offseason IMO and a significant development for our next competitive team.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

This time, we have appear to have real experts with real relationships, the build out of a quality scouting group, a reduction in top $ investments made by MLB, and a real commitment by ownership.  Even now, it is encouraging that the right people in right international markets know that we are players NOW with real $ to spend if they have the prospects.  Perez lays down the gauntlet/line in the sand:  our J2 2021 class as one where we will get at least our fair share of guys at the top of the market (IMO, that means 1 top 30 guy and another guy in the next 30).  It doesn't seem to require too much hope that we appear to be a year and a half away from that reality!

But still quite far away from the time when these guys will impact our major league roster.    Assuming we get a couple of studs in the 2021 J2 class, we might see those guys in 2025-26.     So, we have to hope that some of the signings the last 2 years, even though “late bloomers” or bargain bin guys, pay some dividends in the meantime.   

• Upvote 1

Being truly committed to the funding of developmental programs, scouting, local pipelines, cultivation of relationships is what I see being done that is very different from previous regimes.    These short term and long term structural changes can only  yield a more positive outcome than we have seen in the past. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

But still quite far away from the time when these guys will impact our major league roster.    Assuming we get a couple of studs in the 2021 J2 class, we might see those guys in 2025-26.     So, we have to hope that some of the signings the last 2 years, even though “late bloomers” or bargain bin guys, pay some dividends in the meantime.   

They get to Bmore when they get there.  It would seem that we should have a steady stream of quality prospects and major league ready players from the international talent pool consistent with most other organizations in baseball starting around 2024-2026 depending on how good the guys we sign in this current period and the next one are.  

As long as we get there, right?  

Timing should be in the pre-free agent years of most of our current top prospects.

2 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

It makes me wonder where the O's would have been if they would have done this a few decades earlier.

Certainly would have helped things. But, for me, I think the biggest frustration was that they were completely unable to develop a homegrown, front-of-the-rotation starter out of plenty of good draft picks and prospects. 

5 hours ago, hoosiers said:

They get to Bmore when they get there.  It would seem that we should have a steady stream of quality prospects and major league ready players from the international talent pool consistent with most other organizations in baseball starting around 2024-2026 depending on how good the guys we sign in this current period and the next one are.  

As long as we get there, right?  

Timing should be in the pre-free agent years of most of our current top prospects.

I agree with all this.    Just pointing out Elias is investing in a talent stream that won’t come fully on line until 6ish years after he arrived.   Hopefully he’s still around to enjoy the benefits.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with all this.    Just pointing out Elias is investing in a talent stream that won’t come fully on line until 6ish years after he arrived.   Hopefully he’s still around to enjoy the benefits.   

If he is showing success (playoffs, WS) he will get offers and possibly move on. The question may be, Is he the type of guy that enjoys living with success or likes the challenges of rebuilds? Of course $$$$$ could be the prime influencer here.