Video of Altuve

Uli2001

23 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I understand everyone's emotions about going after players, but you need written rules first. It's really not that hard. You can go after people who did things in the past against the written rules to make you feel better, but you pick a huge fight with the union. You really only deter future behavior if you make explicit rules and punishments that go to the players, coaches, etc.

Agreed completely. Punishment can only be dealt for objectively measured infractions. You can't PROVE players knew anything. 

"It is literally impossible that nobody on the 25 man roster knew what was going on."

But you literally don't know who did what. Do you just fine the batters? How much? For what? Is Justin Verlander guilty for not saying anything? What do you fine him? What do you fine Carlos Beltran? What if he doesn't pay? The MLB has no power over him. What did he do? Show me the evidence. Carlos Beltran is guilty of an 81 OPS+, and little else. He'd probably say "I wasn't cheating, look at my stats".

"Oh well you just know he knew something" is not good enough, but that's all you have. The MLB knows this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Agreed completely. Punishment can only be dealt for objectively measured infractions. You can't PROVE players knew anything. 

"It is literally impossible that nobody on the 25 man roster knew what was going on."

But you literally don't know who did what. Do you just fine the batters? How much? For what? Is Justin Verlander guilty for not saying anything? What do you fine him? What do you fine Carlos Beltran? What if he doesn't pay? The MLB has no power over him. What did he do? Show me the evidence. Carlos Beltran is guilty of an 81 OPS+, and little else. He'd probably say "I wasn't cheating, look at my stats".

"Oh well you just know he knew something" is not good enough, but that's all you have. The MLB knows this.

Couldn't agree more. Trying to suspend the players would be insane. MLB got the information it did because they offered immunity to the players. If they don't, I really doubt they'd have the evidence they'd need to get through a suspension appeal with the Player's Union. Hell, players can charge the mound and punch a pitcher in the face - and they usually get a reduction in suspension when there are twenty different camera angles and 30,000 witnesses to it. I don't see MLB prevailing in an appeal when they'd be using shaky testimony without a ton of evidence.

This isn't like a crime case where you offer a plea deal to get one guy to flip on everyone else. Without immunity, the Astros probably don't answer anything.

They definitely deserved punishment, but I don't see how MLB could have fairly figured out that mess without opening up a bunch of cans of worms.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seems like very unprofessional speculation - to be nice.  McCann whining too much about the unwritten rules of baseball has no relation to whether or not he participated, so what's the point of the article - other than a bad writer taking a cheap shot?       

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Seems like very unprofessional speculation - to be nice.  McCann whining too much about the unwritten rules of baseball has no relation to whether or not he participated, so what's the point of the article - other than a bad writer taking a cheap shot?       

Pointing out McCann's hypocrisy. 

I'm fine with a piece calling attention to how someone who presented themselves in the manner that McCann did is now silent. 

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

You say that as if it's a bad thing. I thought it was a cheap shot and a well deserved one at that.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

That author who wrote the McCann piece...kinda sounds like a kid that got picked on in the 3rd grade, and is now a senior in high school.  And the kid that picked on him in 3rd grade is now running for class president, has grown up and matured, meanwhile the author's all like WHAT ABOUT THIRD GRADE?!!?

But I always thought McCann was a jerkface so I'm fine with it.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

That author who wrote the McCann piece...kinda sounds like a kid that got picked on in the 3rd grade, and is now a senior in high school.  And the kid that picked on him in 3rd grade is now running for class president, has grown up and matured, meanwhile the author's all like WHAT ABOUT THIRD GRADE?!!?

I don’t think kids that are bullies in third grade end up being class president.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pointing out McCann's hypocrisy. 

I'm fine with a piece calling attention to how someone who presented themselves in the manner that McCann did is now silent. 

C'mon you're smarter than that.  I don't like McCann's insistence on the "unwritten rules of baseball" but there's no equivalency between his blabbering about that and someone basically accusing him of participating in what's widely perceived as a huge scandal - like the worst think since sliced corned beef - and yes your name veered me off in the wrong direction.  What were we talking about - the unwritten rules of Orioles Hangout?  I haven't even read the written rules yet.  Hmm, having an odd craving for sauerkraut.