Which minor leaguers get invited to O's ST

wildcard

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Also worth noting: last year, of the 8 pitchers who were non-roster invitees, 6 had prior major league experience.    The only two who didn’t were Kremer and Pop, neither of whom had pitched above AA.   As it turned out, Kremer missed spring training with an oblique injury and Pop only had a couple of appearances before heading off to TJ surgery.   

Right.   I think wildcard's initial list in this post is too heavy with prospects like Baumann and Lowther.   Reality tends to lean to the Ty Blach or Eshelman types.

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Right.   I think wildcard's initial list in this post is too heavy with prospects like Baumann and Lowther.   Reality tends to lean to the Ty Blach or Eshelman types.

It doesn’t matter too much.     I suspect several guys not in major league camp will be brought over to toss a few innings here and there.  

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I doubt Eshelman is in camp.  I think he cooked his goose last year.  At this point he is minor league organizational depth.    I think he ends up at AA or released.  

Blach has major league experience so he might be invited but he was terrible for the O's last season.  11.32 ERA for the O's and 16.88 for  Norfolk.   I hope we don't see him in camp but we might.

I think Elias will want to see Baumann and Lowther in camp.  JMO.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:04 AM, wildcard said:

Other then the 40 man roster.    Here is my guess.

Catchers: Rutschman,  Holaday, Martin Cervenka, Davis

Pitchers:  Baumann, Shepherd, Valdez, Lowther, Hunter Cervenka, Zastryzny, Rodgers

Outfielders:  Williams,  Diaz

Infielders: Herrera, Bannon

Wildcard:  you picked 14.

We invited 23.  12 of the 14 you picked made the list.   The two that weren't invited were Baumann and Valdez.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:20 PM, SteveA said:

And Baumann didn't get invited, while Blach and Eshelman did.   So I was 3/4 right on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a few words from Elias on the decision not to extend an invite to Baumann:

“For me, for us, he’s one of our top prospects. His development is very important. He had a tremendous step forward last year, probably as much as any pitcher in our system. He really took well to the program that (director of pitching) Chris Holt and (then Bowie pitching coach) Kennie Steenstra put in place for him. And you know, he is someone we thought about inviting to camp. I still think he might get into some major league (spring) games. He’ll be at early camp, so he’ll be accessible to us.

“But at the end of the day, we’re going to have a huge camp - pushing 70 players. At some point we’ve got to draw a line. It was a tough call. But he spent only half the season in Double-A last year. And because of that we thought it might be best to wait and see in terms of bringing him over to major league camp.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/02/os-mike-elias-on-spring-training-prospects-and-more-at-birdland-caravan.html

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here’s a few words from Elias on the decision not to extend an invite to Baumann:

“For me, for us, he’s one of our top prospects. His development is very important. He had a tremendous step forward last year, probably as much as any pitcher in our system. He really took well to the program that (director of pitching) Chris Holt and (then Bowie pitching coach) Kennie Steenstra put in place for him. And you know, he is someone we thought about inviting to camp. I still think he might get into some major league (spring) games. He’ll be at early camp, so he’ll be accessible to us.

“But at the end of the day, we’re going to have a huge camp - pushing 70 players. At some point we’ve got to draw a line. It was a tough call. But he spent only half the season in Double-A last year. And because of that we thought it might be best to wait and see in terms of bringing him over to major league camp.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/02/os-mike-elias-on-spring-training-prospects-and-more-at-birdland-caravan.html

Good, clear, reasonable. I do appreciate Elias.