Confirmed: Harvey is bullpen only

interloper

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

There's a reason why it's so important to have a healthy stream of arms coming up. The process to find legitimate major league starters is one full of perils and hurdles. It's one that few survive when you look at the odds. Saying that, both Bundy and Gausman under performed for their draft status. I still think Gausman will end up a quality major league reliever if he's ever converted in time and Bundy should be able to stick around as 4th-5th starter for awhile.

They didn’t really underperform for their draft status, they just didn’t shine like we would like.   There have been 55 no. 4 overall picks, and Gausman and Bundy rank 16th and 18th in rWAR, respectively.   Both are relatively young and could add to those totals.   But I’ll always wonder what Bundy could have been if he’d been healthy.   

I am actually excited to see him out of the pen. Yea it sucks another highly regarded starting pitching prospect doesn't become a starter, but our bullpen is trash and we need some lock down guys in there. 

Pray to God that Grey Rod and Hall at least can become serviceable starters for once. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Have they?  Bundy is 18th in all time rWAR among #4 picks, and they've been drafting since '65.  He'll continue to move up for a number of years.  Gausman is 16th.  Only about 6-7 #4 picks have had a career as valuable as, say, Nick Markakis.

People are continuously disappointed by players who have careers in the top 25% of their draft slot.  Think about it this way... Nick Markakis, had he been a #1 overall pick, would comfortably be among the top half of all players drafted there.  As an actual #7, he's the fourth-best player ever taken there.  Ben McDonald was a better-than-average #1.

I probably should have said they did not live up to their lofty expectations. Bundy was once considered one the best all-time high school pitching prospects by some scouts and has become a 4th starter. That's underachieving. 

Regardless of their rWAR rankings of all-time, organizations don't hope for Gausman or Bundy's performance when they draft #4 overall. So yes, in my mind they under performed for their draft position.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I probably should have said they did not live up to their lofty expectations. Bundy was once considered one the best all-time high school pitching prospects by some scouts and has become a 4th starter. That's underachieving. 

Regardless of their rWAR rankings of all-time, organizations don't hope for Gausman or Bundy's performance when they draft #4 overall. So yes, in my mind they under performed for their draft position.

Hopes and dreams don't mean much.  I was hoping to be a first round draft pick, but my 62 mile an hour fastball didn't play up past middle school.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

You are missing the point.

Am I?  If teams are expecting/hoping players to be far and away better than even high-end outcomes for a given draft position, then I would argue that the expectations/hopes are what's out of line, not the players or the development process.  Or are you arguing something else?

7 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Am I?  If teams are expecting/hoping players to be far and away better than even high-end outcomes for a given draft position, then I would argue that the expectations/hopes are what's out of line, not the players or the development process.  Or are you arguing something else?

Let's just move on since this is off topic and neither player is on the team anymore.

Let's talk about Hunter Harvey's even more epic Mullet he showed up in camp with! Mullet power! :D

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

They didn’t really underperform for their draft status, they just didn’t shine like we would like.   There have been 55 no. 4 overall picks, and Gausman and Bundy rank 16th and 18th in rWAR, respectively.   Both are relatively young and could add to those totals.   But I’ll always wonder what Bundy could have been if he’d been healthy.   

Yeah Gausman and Bundy aren’t where we failed. Hobgood and Matusz were the failures

Hopefully Hunter Harvey can provide some decent relief innings this year.  Maybe Castro, Givens and Harvey can provide a solid last 3 innings for the team.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:16 AM, Going Underground said:

So the Bundy,Harvey,Gausman,Erod future starting staff never happened. Just like the prior one.Hopefully with the new regime the Orioles can develop some starters.

Copy and paste to the post about Rocker, Hancock, G. Rod, Hall!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Let's just move on since this is off topic and neither player is on the team anymore.

Let's talk about Hunter Harvey's even more epic Mullet he showed up in camp with! Mullet power! :D

Let’s just get about 6 steps ahead....

The question is... when we trade Givens this year, do we “allow” Harvey to pick up saves and increase his future arb number?

or

If Harvey is just flat out dominant, do we trade him for our SS of the future?