Davis is definitley jacked this year...

Sir_Loin

25 minutes ago, section18 said:

There are many players who have started wearing contacts who saw a major improvement. I don't wear glasses but have bought reading glasses you get off a rack in a drug or grocery store for reading and it's like looking into a magnifying glass. Just enlarging a baseball can make a huge difference. He hasn't clarified the eye stuff comment. You can pass an eye test but still improve your vision.

Anyone else remember the Brian Roberts colored contacts?  Whatever happened to those?

I was actually disappointed to hear he gained weight, but he looks good. I don't know that the comparison photo is a good comparison, but he looks like he's in shape. Let's hope it helps.

Personally, I think his issues largely stem from a decline in bat speed. I thought losing weight might help. It didn't. Maybe gaining strength will help the bat speed? I've been pessimistic, but seeing him jacked makes me think there is a chance. That said, I'm not expecting any prime-Crush transformation. Just back to replacement level would be a very optimistic outcome.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, section18 said:

There are many players who have started wearing contacts who saw a major improvement. I don't wear glasses but have bought reading glasses you get off a rack in a drug or grocery store for reading and it's like looking into a magnifying glass. Just enlarging a baseball can make a huge difference. He hasn't clarified the eye stuff comment. You can pass an eye test but still improve your vision.

Random side thought, but continuing on Trouts comments... can you imagine how much a guy like Davis would benefit from an Astros scheme where he would know which pitch was coming? 

7 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Random side thought, but continuing on Trouts comments... can you imagine how much a guy like Davis would benefit from an Astros scheme where he would know which pitch was coming? 

I don’t think he sees the ball even if he knows the pitch. He hits like a pitcher. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I take a small glimmer of hope, that a jacked Davis gets back to hitting some.

I take more hope that he admits, his play has been bad, and he said he would retire if it continued.

So we shall see.

Putting aside all the strikeouts, here is Davis’ ISO the last 5 years:

Here’s his HR/FB%: 

21.1%

19.3%

16.8%

10.2%

11.9%

All that decline is unrelated to how often he struck out.    If he’s able to hit the ball harder and further, it can only help.    Now, will it make him above replacement value, which is basically where he was in 2017 when he had a .208 ISO and 16.8 HR%?   I doubt it.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Putting aside all the strikeouts, here is Davis’ ISO the last 5 years:

Here’s his HR/FB%: 

21.1%

19.3%

16.8%

10.2%

11.9%

All that decline is unrelated to how often he struck out.    If he’s able to hit the ball harder and further, it can only help.    Now, will it make him above replacement value, which is basically where he was in 2017 when he had a .208 ISO and 16.8 HR%?   I doubt it.    

There is also a huge mental aspect here.

If he can manage past that, maybe there is a small glimmer of hope.

I am not in denial, I get there are some very long odds here, of anything of at least replacement level play.