MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

atomic

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I think we are handling it more like Iran than South Korea.  I am not sure why the President is so much more interest in a stimulus package than working on containing the disease.  Stimulus package won't do anything for the economy if the country is closed like Italy is right now. 

What is he supposed to do?  He delegates authority.  They come to him to offer advice.  It's hard to do anything if the underlings aren't doing anything.

Besides that, no matter what he says or does, the media will always say he's not doing anything. 

---I think we are handling it more like Iran than South Korea---  

Do we have hospitals with body bags lined up of the virus dead?

Or, are American doctors dancing?

I haven't seen anything about us not licking door knobs at shrines.

The Ivy League has cancelled its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments.

Also, I believe we can continue this thread without wading into a political discussion.  I do agree that the response is political and is closely tied to the prevention/spread of the virus, but I hope this stays open.

54 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

What is he supposed to do?  He delegates authority.  They come to him to offer advice.  It's hard to do anything if the underlings aren't doing anything.

Besides that, no matter what he says or does, the media will always say he's not doing anything. 

---I think we are handling it more like Iran than South Korea---  

Do we have hospitals with body bags lined up of the virus dead?

Or, are American doctors dancing?

I haven't seen anything about us not licking door knobs at shrines.

Showing more concern about the virus than the economy.  Shutting down events with large crowds.  Working to get more tests out there.  Provide calming influence by telling us how the country is going to manage the virus.  Real facts not it is just a flu. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

The Ivy League has cancelled its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments.

Also, I believe we can continue this thread without wading into a political discussion.  I do agree that the response is political and is closely tied to the prevention/spread of the virus, but I hope this stays open.

I didn't think my comments were political in nature. I think whomever it is at whatever level  they should focus on the economy later.  Nothing is going to save that. You might have to bail out the airlines but II don't see anything else needed at this point.   

These big corporations that have been propping up their stock prices by borrowing a ton of money to buy back stocks are going to be in a world of pain.

Harvard has told students not go come back after Spring break. 

Baseball.

Not world news.  Not political opinion.  Not investment advice.  Not medical information or advice.  Not vacation travel planning.  Not concert schedules.  Not family counseling.

Baseball.

If I'm looking for those other things, this is not the site I go to.

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Baseball.

Not world news.  Not political opinion.  Not investment advice.  Not medical information or advice.  Not vacation travel planning.  Not concert schedules.  Not family counseling.

Baseball.

If I'm looking for those other things, this is not the site I go to.

Thank you.

Here you go:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

At the current point in time.

The FLU is more deadly than CORNAVIRUS is.

With that said, the elderly, the young, and those with health risks are the most susceptible to this.

We should be aware of this situation, and monitor it, but the mass hype and hysteria are way out there.

There is a run on toilet paper, hand sanitizer, gloves and wipes. Prices have sky rocketed and people are jumping in to make their money.

I think those that run events that cater to the public, need to keep an eye on things and start having a contingency plan in place, that is prudent.

The mortality rate for the flu is 0.1% while the mortality rate for the Coronavirus is around 3.5%.

42 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think the age and health variations make the Flu deadly for the very young and elderly, which is also at risk for Coronavirus.

At a 0.1% mortality rate the flu causes between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths world-wide each year.  At a 3.5% rate the Coronavirus will cause the deaths of tens of millions more if it spreads as ubiquitously as the flu.  While it is accurate to say the flu has killed more people this year its demonstrably false to say the flu is more deadly.  

For comparison sake, so far this year there have been nearly 30 million cases of the flu in the US causing approximately 17,000 deaths.  At the present mortality rate, if the coronavirus were to infect 30 million Americans the death toll would be around 1,050,000.

This is why countries like Italy and others are shutting their borders, cancelling school, banning large sporting evens and gatherings and otherwise taking extraordinary measures to try and contain the spread of the virus. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/as-coronavirus-spreads-many-questions-and-some-answers-2020022719004

7 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

At a 0.1% mortality rate the flu causes between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths world-wide each year.  At a 3.5% rate the Coronavirus will cause the deaths of tens of millions more if it spreads as ubiquitously as the flu.  While it is accurate to say the flu has killed more people this year its demonstrably false to say the flu is more deadly.  

For comparison sake, so far this year there have been nearly 30 million cases of the flu in the US causing approximately 17,000 deaths.  At the present mortality rate, if the coronavirus were to infect 30 million Americans the death toll would be around 1,050,000.

This is why countries like Italy and others are shutting their borders, cancelling school, banning large sporting evens and gatherings and otherwise taking extraordinary measures to try and contain the spread of the virus. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/as-coronavirus-spreads-many-questions-and-some-answers-2020022719004

I do not believe the 3.5 national value, who actually be that high here. If you notice, different parts of the world have much higher than 3.5 percent.

Any number higher than 1 is too many and we have already gone over that number in the US.

Thankfully, so far, with the 16+ cases in the DMV  do they expect any of those to die, nor has any.

Just because 30 million get the flu every year, mean, 30 million will get the coronavirus.