2nd round of cuts?

wildcard

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's almost as if it isn't an easy thing to do.

You’re kidding, right? These are MLB(ish) players who should be able to show their adjustments as soon as it is mentioned to them. Hess should be throwing immaculate innings and both Sisco and Mullins should be hitting 1.000.

Hope they all get refunds. ?

I think the cuts are a bit deeper than 10. I would add these seven for sure:

• Evan Phillips (optioned, although he could be DFA) - Command
  • Tanner Scott (optioned) - Command 
  • Branden Kline (reassigned) - Command
  • David Hess (optioned) - If he has any shot, let him build up his command/confidence in AAA
  • Ty Blach (reassigned or released) - Command and stuff are poor
  • Thomas Eschelman (reassigned) - no shot at making this team
  • Taylor Davis (reassigned) - no shot at making this team

Lakins could stick around just a bit to see if they can DFA, waive and outright him. Save the option for later, if he is recalled during the season and needs to go back down. 

Keegan Akin and Dean Kremer are not going to make this team out of Spring Training, so why not send them down sooner than later? 

Richie Martin can be optioned now, unless you want him around Iglesias as much as possible. He's done well, but Velazquez and Valaika have the inside track at this point to the UT jobs. Richie needs to play everyday at AAA to get his development where he needs to be. 

DJ Stewart can go down and finish his rehab to begin playing. He will not make this team. For me, he probably would not ever make it in Baltimore and is a trade candidate. He may eventually hit some, but not a regular OF in Baltimore. His competition here is way ahead of him. 

That's eleven more names. This should get really interesting in a few weeks. I think a trade or two is in the works, even if it is for International Slot Money or for a DSL player or two. Dwight Smith Jr. is a prime candidate for this. He can really hit, but his defense won't cut it. It is hard to believe anyone could be so poor out there with his pedigree. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You’re kidding, right? These are MLB(ish) players who should be able to show their adjustments as soon as it is mentioned to them. Hess should be throwing immaculate innings and both Sisco and Mullins should be hitting 1.000.

Hope they all get refunds. ?

I think all three of them will eventually end up at Norfolk when the season begins. All those changes can take some time to iron out. They need thousands of reps, and best to get them in AAA. Hess may end up in Bowie at this point if they want him to remain a starter. 

1 hour ago, zjsmith said:

I have a question sort of off topic. Interloper mentioned that Hess was mostly 94. In 2018 the average fastball from a major league starter was 92.3 and relievers was 93.4. So yesterday Hess has plenty of velocity. So what is it? I would say even with velocity you have to "know how to pitch." Even guys throwing upper 90s have to keep it out of the middle of the plate. Is it lack of a quality 2nd and 3rd pitch? 

I bet Mike Wright would know the answer to that question…

30 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

• David Hess (optioned) - If he has any shot, let him build up his command/confidence in AAA

Lakins could stick around just a bit to see if they can DFA, waive and outright him. Save the option for later, if he is recalled during the season and needs to go back down. 

Keegan Akin and Dean Kremer are not going to make this team out of Spring Training, so why not send them down sooner than later? 

Richie Martin can be optioned now, unless you want him around Iglesias as much as possible. He's done well, but Velazquez and Valaika have the inside track at this point to the UT jobs. Richie needs to play everyday at AAA to get his development where he needs to be. 

DJ Stewart can go down and finish his rehab to begin playing. He will not make this team. For me, he probably would not ever make it in Baltimore and is a trade candidate. He may eventually hit some, but not a regular OF in Baltimore. His competition here is way ahead of him. 

That's eleven more names. This should get really interesting in a few weeks. I think a trade or two is in the works, even if it is for International Slot Money or for a DSL player or two. Dwight Smith Jr. is a prime candidate for this. He can really hit, but his defense won't cut it. It is hard to believe anyone could be so poor out there with his pedigree. 

Excellent commentary.

I thought Kline had done better then you suggest but apparently not.

remind me the difference between “reassigned” and “optioned”?

Edited by Philip
Addendum

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Excellent commentary.

Reassigned is for a player not on a MLB contract. Such as Rutschman. Or Tommy Milone. Optioned is for a player on the 40 man roster with options still available. A MLB contract player under option control. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Excellent commentary.

If the player is on the 40 man, he has to be optioned if there is an option available. Reassigned would be for those on the NRI list. 

Kline has done decent work, but his command is not where it needs to be. I don't think he makes this team, but he can always come up for the day if they want another look this Spring. For me, he's middle inning BP depth in AAA, unless his command improves and his slider becomes consistently sharp. Same for Tanner Scott. The emergence of Cody Carroll and Eric Hanhold have put them ahead of Kline and many others. Armstrong may be on the outside looking in as well. 

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

If the player is on the 40 man, he has to be optioned if there is an option available. Reassigned would be for those on the NRI list. 

Kline has done decent work, but his command is not where it needs to be. I don't think he makes this team, but he can always come up for the day if they want another look this Spring. For me, he's middle inning BP depth in AAA, unless his command improves and his slider becomes consistently sharp. Same for Tanner Scott. The emergence of Cody Carroll and Eric Hanhold have put them ahead of Kline and many others. Armstrong may be on the outside looking in as well. 

I agree that Hanhold and Carroll Have really put themselves on the radar, but Armstrong has done well this spring also. Plus, he has no options left, so unless there’s a tremendous roster crunch and the alternative has been really lights out, I think he’s got a spot.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Philip said:

I agree that Hanhold and Carroll Have really put themselves on the radar, but Armstrong has done well this spring also. Plus, he has no options left, so unless there’s a tremendous roster crunch and the alternative has been really lights out, I think he’s got a spot.

I don't disagree that Armstrong has done well so far. It is a credit to him and his hard work this off-season, along with the coaches pointing some things out for him to improve. But Carroll's progress, in particular, if it continues, along with the Rule 5 guys (who have been impressive...supposedly), means that someone has to go. Carroll is 27 yoa and has nothing to prove at AAA, and at some point soon you have to start promoting your young guys to get experience. If you do not see Armstrong as a reliever on the next winning/competitive cycle, why hold someone back to keep Armstrong? Maybe Armstrong is a trade target. DFA and trade for a PTBNL. Other teams are scouting our camp just as we theirs.

For me, the rotation is: Cobb, Means, Wojciechowski, Leblanc and Stewart/Milone ( I believe Stewart has an option however)

And the pen is: Givens, Harvey, Castro, Bleier, and Fry are penciled in for me. So, Carroll, Hanhold, Armstrong, Bailey, Rucker, Sulser and Tate are battling for the remaining three spots. 

If they decide to keep Armstrong, I'm good with that, for now. But you have to start promoting the young guys, and flexibility with options are a plus. Especially if you keep one or both Rule 5 guys. Givens is not getting optioned. Harvey has one, I believe. Castro has none, Bleier none, Fry one (I believe). We'll see how it all shakes out, and a lot can happen the next few weeks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Its still 3 weeks before OD.   I think you are a week early on most of these moves.  But its JMO, so you could be right.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its still 3 weeks before OD.   I think you are a week early on most of these moves.  But its JMO, so you could be right.

Yeah, just my opinion as well. The first seven were clearer for me, and then the next four were just possibles. At some point soon, need to start clearing things out to be able to truly evaluate and/or develop those left. You can always call them back from the minor league complex if you need a body or just want to see them again. 

38 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I don't disagree that Armstrong has done well so far. It is a credit to him and his hard work this off-season, along with the coaches pointing some things out for him to improve. But Carroll's progress, in particular, if it continues, along with the Rule 5 guys (who have been impressive...supposedly), means that someone has to go. Carroll is 27 yoa and has nothing to prove at AAA, and at some point soon you have to start promoting your young guys to get experience. If you do not see Armstrong as a reliever on the next winning/competitive cycle, why hold someone back to keep Armstrong? Maybe Armstrong is a trade target. DFA and trade for a PTBNL. Other teams are scouting our camp just as we theirs.

For me, the rotation is: Cobb, Means, Wojciechowski, Leblanc and Stewart/Milone ( I believe Stewart has an option however)

And the pen is: Givens, Harvey, Castro, Bleier, and Fry are penciled in for me. So, Carroll, Hanhold, Armstrong, Bailey, Rucker, Sulser and Tate are battling for the remaining three spots. 

If they decide to keep Armstrong, I'm good with that, for now. But you have to start promoting the young guys, and flexibility with options are a plus. Especially if you keep one or both Rule 5 guys. Givens is not getting optioned. Harvey has one, I believe. Castro has none, Bleier none, Fry one (I believe). We'll see how it all shakes out, and a lot can happen the next few weeks.

I think you are right about playing the young guys that earn it but I think that is true over the whole season.    To start the season I think they will want to keep as many quality major leaguers as possible.   Send down the guys with options.  Then as injuries and non performance happens promote the guys from AAA.

Bailey, Rucker and Armstrong either make the team for OD or they are gone.  I think that gives them an edge to stay as long as perform well over the next three week.    Carroll, Sulser, Hanhold and Tate can be optioned and brought up during the season.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Armstrong is a stone cold 100% lock for the bullpen. It's virtually indisputable. 

Yeah, I think he merits it on talent, and when you add to the fact that he is the only reliever on the 40 man (non rule 5) with no options left, I think that makes him a lock.