MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

3 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

People will look at the numbers and make some very "logical" but inaccurate conclusions. Like, see only x number of people died, it was (is) no worse than the flu. If States didn't shut down and people didn't practice social distancing the health system would have been overwhelmed and the numbers would have dwarfed the typical "flu" numbers. Thanks to all that have done their best to keep themselves and others safe. Let's hope sports do their best too and make wise decisions, not one's just based on their pocketbooks.

Proof?  You mean those models that have been wrong right from the beginning?

What will you be saying when a depression hits and millions die from lack of food?  It's right around the corner, unfortunately.  No one is picking the fruit and veggies cause the workers are from out of the country and Americans won't do those menial jobs.  They'd rather sit on their butts and collect unemployment cause that check is more than they would have made if they were working.  Wally World, Target, HD etc are still hiring.  No one wants to work.  It's almost at the point where cattle will need to be slaughtered and buried because processing plants are closing.  There are already beef shortages in some areas.  Dairy farmers are dumping milk.

Starvation vs. Social Distancing.  That's a tough choice.

• Upvote 3

So for people who think it is just the flu,my friend who looked like he wasn't going to make it had a promising day.10 days at home and now 15 days in the hospital. Good  health before this and not that old.

All,
In the last few hours Carl was transferred to a new nasal cannula that is much less invasive & indicates that his oxygen saturation levels are coming back strong. 
This may be an indication that he'll be moving out of the ICU & that we will try to determine & share with you.
Carl's receiving a powerful blood thinner to ward off any new pulmonary embolisms & seems to be stable with that.  Still spending 80% of his time on his stomach. 
His care is exceptional. 
Your thoughts & prayers are priceless & his mindsets are stronger than ever!
It's a good day ?
B

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

What will you be saying when a depression hits and millions die from lack of food?  It's right around the corner, unfortunately.  No one is picking the fruit and veggies cause the workers are from out of the country and Americans won't do those menial jobs.  They'd rather sit on their butts and collect unemployment cause that check is more than they would have made if they were working.  Wally World, Target, HD etc are still hiring.  No one wants to work.  It's almost at the point where cattle will need to be slaughtered and buried because processing plants are closing.  There are already beef shortages in some areas.  Dairy farmers are dumping milk.

I can't understand what you are saying ,you are condemning someone and who knows how many are actually quitting for a few hundred extra dollars.The program is only till July 31st if they keep it going that long.Not like these people are going to make a fortune for a few months.Maybe it will help these people from starving . If they quit also no guarantee they just get their job back.

So every country in the world is hyping up the pandemic ? For what purpose?

We can have a discussion about what solutions are best for the country.Probably no perfect solution. Almost have to thread a needle between safety and not destroying the economy. 

14 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

Proof.....Does TSA do any good? Have they prevented any planes from blowing up or hijacked?? Proof, how many terrorist attacks have law enforcement prevented since 9/11?? Proof?? How many deaths are prevented from STOP signs, traffic lights, speed limits, etc? There were models from pretty respected organizations. Proof?? You have ZERO proof that what I stated isn't true....You can't prove an unproven. But, there is a thing called common sense.

20 hours ago, now said:

Hmm, that's an intriguing scenario. Wonder how that would have turned out, longer term (Tony, are you there?). Maybe better than what we got? (A thrilling win over Det., dashed by KC and then the debacle of 2016 WC...)

I have a hard time giving away real division titles for hypothetically better future rebuilds.  Even as an academic exercise.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

I think that's something of an exaggeration.  Most indications are that we'll be slowly going back towards normal over the next few months, and we're nowhere near the point where you go to the grocery store and there's no food; I've seen more shortages on the day of the week before deliveries come.  If I counted calories like Mark Watney for everything in my house I'm betting it would be at least several months before my family would absolutely have to find some more food or risk starving.  And right now I could drive three minutes to the store and immediately buy three weeks worth of almost anything I want save for toilet paper.

4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Harvard has a 40 billion endowment but sure give them stimulus money .Small businesses no.

Once there is a handle on this pandemic and people start assessing this act, there are going to be so many stories of fraud, waste, and abuse.

I don’t have a small business, so I haven’t really paid attention, but I have a friend who runs a nonprofit who couldn’t get his application processed.  He said that there were no safeguards in place to prevent forgery of payroll records.  The banks pretty much said, if you want us to get the money out quickly, then we can’t perform due diligence on the recipients.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Once there is a handle on this pandemic and people start assessing this act, there are going to be so many stories of fraud, waste, and abuse.

I don’t have a small business, so I haven’t really paid attention, but I have a friend who runs a nonprofit who couldn’t get his application processed.  He said that there was no safeguards in place to prevent forgery of payroll records.  The banks pretty much said, if you want us to get the money out quickly, then we can’t perform due diligence on the recipients.

Just talked to someone who got a loan who has a small business.

8 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I don’t have a small business, so I haven’t really paid attention, but I have a friend who runs a nonprofit who couldn’t get his application processed.  He said that there was no safeguards in place to prevent forgery of payroll records.  The banks pretty much said, if you want us to get the money out quickly, then we can’t perform due diligence on the recipients.

43K US millionaires will get 'stimulus' averaging $1.6M each https://nypost.com/2020/04/16/43k-us-millionaires-will-get-stimulus-averaging-1-6m-each/

35 minutes ago, atomic said:

Just talked to someone who got a loan who has a small business.

It sounds like if you can get one, it really is a lifeline.  My friend described it as about 80% would be forgiven if you prove it was used for payroll, rent, that kind of thing.  And the remaining 20% had favorable terms of a low interest rate and a long payback period.

**the 80/20 split is from math in my head after a few beers in the night.  So it’s not exactly this, but pretty close.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

43K US millionaires will get 'stimulus' averaging $1.6M each https://nypost.com/2020/04/16/43k-us-millionaires-will-get-stimulus-averaging-1-6m-each/

That is distressing if a hedge fund manager gets money and the cities and states have to lay off policemen and firefighters because they haven’t given money to cities and states that have less tax revenue.  Really we are all going to pay for this for a long time with the trillions of debt this has added.

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2020 at 1:01 PM, atomic said:

You do realize there are a lot of people who don’t vaccinate their children because they think it causes autism and think global warming is a hoax. 

And there are millions of people that listen to a Certain radio personality that claimed smoking doesn’t cause lung cancer and that person now has lung cancer and they still listen to him. 

Most people aren’t capable of thinking logically.

Especially now that 5G-cell towers are irradiating their brains and there are too many Chinese take-outs. Notice that once the latter all closed shop New York was able to flatten the curve.

20 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Especially now that 5G-cell towers are irradiating their brains and there are too many Chinese take-outs. Notice that once the latter all closed shop New York was able to flatten the curve.

So we are just going to ignore the chemtrails depositing toxic chemicals overhead?