Hafner and Horse Poop

Fairfax Bird

Are there any other Indians affiliates whose seasons are still going on, where Hafner could have rehabbed instead?

Adam Jones is rehabbing in Baltimore. Why isn't Travis Hafner doing the same with the Indians? Better yet why isn't Jones in Bowie for a rehab assignment?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you hear that Boston sent Buchholz to face Trenton in the Northern Division playoffs? Reminds me of the "sign over slot" situation -- you do whatever it takes to win, I guess.

Maybe we could've used Adam Jones like they're using Hafner, for instance.

Don't get me wrong, tho; 'ridiculous' is the word I was using frequently since hearing about him being there, and classless captures it well too.

I believe Bartolo Colon matched up against Phil Hughes in one Intl Lg playoff game.

Not really a big deal to me. I'm sure fans of those teams don't mind having the ringers, and even the Olympics have largely abandoned the purity of amateur athletics.

If Bowie really wanted to win, they should've forked over a million bucks for Barry Bonds to suit up for a week or two. :D

Adding salt to your wounds, Baysox fans:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/aeros/27960254.html

Hafner spent a half hour in the quiet of the trainers room before joining his new teammates in wild celebration in the home clubhouse that was plastered in clear plastic as players sprayed champagne and beer at anything that moved.

''Hafner! Hafner! Hafner!'' went the chant while the giddy players shook the remaining bottles of bubbly over his head upon entering the room. When the Aeros ran out of the good stuff, they went to beer. And when that went dry, someone brought chocolate milk out of the nearby fridgerator to ensure the party would go on.

While I agree that this sucks, I have a question for all of you to think about.

If the Bowie pitchers that we have all been screaming about bringing up to the O's can't get one major league player out, how would they fair against a whole team of major league players? Maybe the Bowie pitchers aren't quite ready yet...although they may be better than what we have.

When something like this happens, you don't wait till the bases are loaded to retaliate. You get him hard on the hands the first time he's up. < I'm assuming he wasn't hit the first time he was up. >

Btw, I wouldn't compare this to Buckholtz being sent down. He's not anywhere near as accomplished as Hafner, and he probably should have been sent down a long time ago.

I believe Bartolo Colon matched up against Phil Hughes in one Intl Lg playoff game.

Not really a big deal to me. I'm sure fans of those teams don't mind having the ringers, and even the Olympics have largely abandoned the purity of amateur athletics.

If Bowie really wanted to win, they should've forked over a million bucks for Barry Bonds to suit up for a week or two. :D

These aren't amateurs.

Regardless, who really cares if Hafner is there or not?

When something like this happens, you don't wait till the bases are loaded to retaliate. You get him hard on the hands the first time he's up. < I'm assuming he wasn't hit the first time he was up. >

The first time he was up, he hit a two-run homer off Tillman. The second time that he was up, Tillman had just left game with his injury, and it was the first batter that Keefer faced. Bases loaded or not, kudos to Keefer...I'm adding him to my favorite Baysox list for that alone. :clap3:

'Hafner! Hafner! Hafner!'' went the chant while the giddy players shook the remaining bottles of bubbly over his head upon entering the room. When the Aeros ran out of the good stuff, they went to beer. And when that went dry, someone brought chocolate milk out of the nearby fridgerator to ensure the party would go on.

At least they know that they couldn't do it without the ringer. :rolleyes:

Congratulations to the Bowie Baysox, the real Eastern League champions. This Hafner business is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen a major league organization pull. It's ridiculous to the point that this should encourage a rule change to make sure classless organizations like the Cleveland Indians can not pull stunts like this.

When it gets to the championship series, it's about the players that got them there. I don't have a major problem with teams bringing players up from a lower affiliate, but to send a rehabbing major league superstar to effect the outcome of a championship series is just plain ridiculous. The Indians ought to be ashamed of themselves.

At least the team knew they needed a ringer to beat the Baysox. I guess we can look at this as a compliment. The Indians knew their scrubs couldn't beat the Baysox so they had to send in a "rehabbing" major leaguer who hits two home runs in two games to win it.

What a bunch of clowns.

Congratulations to the Bowie Baysox, the real Eastern League champions. This Hafner business is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen a major league organization pull. It's ridiculous to the point that this should encourage a rule change to make sure classless organizations like the Cleveland Indians can not pull stunts like this.

When it gets to the championship series, it's about the players that got them there. I don't have a major problem with teams bringing players up from a lower affiliate, but to send a rehabbing major league superstar to effect the outcome of a championship series is just plain ridiculous. The Indians ought to be ashamed of themselves.

At least the team knew they needed a ringer to beat the Baysox. I guess we can look at this as a compliment. The Indians knew their scrubs couldn't beat the Baysox so they had to send in a "rehabbing" major leaguer who hits two home runs in two games to win it.

What a bunch of clowns.

it was bush league for the Indians to play Hafner in the AA playoffs, but the Baysox offense just didn't get the job done, scoring a total of three runs the last two games. Last I looked, Hafner wasn't pitching.

While I agree that this sucks, I have a question for all of you to think about.

If the Bowie pitchers that we have all been screaming about bringing up to the O's can't get one major league player out, how would they fair against a whole team of major league players? Maybe the Bowie pitchers aren't quite ready yet...although they may be better than what we have.

Excellent point!

it was bush league for the Indians to play Hafner in the AA playoffs, but the Baysox offense just didn't get the job done, scoring a total of three runs the last two games. Last I looked, Hafner wasn't pitching.

As much as I loved the season that the Baysox had, I agree they just did not get it done in the playoffs....:(

Archived