Orioles Feat You've Never Seen

ShaneDawg85

50 minutes ago, murph said:

I was at Wilson Alveraz no hitter against us, last game I saw at memorial stadium.   The whole crowd was cheering for Alvarez to do it by the 8th and 9th innings. 

I was there, too.  Not quite 10 years old.  My dad wanted to leave early, so we did.  He clearly had no idea what was going on. ?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

One of many things I haven't seen is a batting title.  The only modern Oriole to win one was Frank, five years before I was born and with the 3rd-lowest mark in league history.  In my lifetime I want to see an Oriole hit .400.

That seems likely.

Another thing we haven't seen since Frank is a Triple Crown. Also I'd like to see an O break DiMaggio's streak record and hit an O hit 5 HR in a game.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, some of the most bizarre things I was lucky enough to witness in person (30 years worth):

-Jay Gibbons losing a fly ball in right field due to snow on opening day

-Felix Pie hitting for the cycle

-Aubrey Huff hitting for the cycle

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Another thing we haven't seen since Frank is a Triple Crown. Also I'd like to see an O break DiMaggio's streak record and hit an O hit 5 HR in a game.

The DiMaggio streak would be more vulnerable if there were conditions where somebody could hit .400.   It's been 10 years since anyone hit .350!

I know nobody listens to me, but I'd much rather have a league that hits .290 with five Ks a game than .250 with 10, which is basically what we have now.

And if Scooter Gennett can hit four homers in a game, is it really that unlikely that someone hits five?  Might as well be someone like Ryan Mountcastle.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was there, too.  Not quite 10 years old.  My dad wanted to leave early, so we did.  He clearly had no idea what was going on. ?

I was 19, was terribly hungover and didn't want to go, but my friends were not having it (pretty sure they were enjoying my suffering since it wasn't them), but that game definitely got the blood flowing and so glad I went.

Some plays I’d like to witness by the O’s:

1.   A straight steal of home.  I’ve seen a couple of double steals, but I’ve never seen an Oriole just make the mad dash and get away with it.

2.   An unassisted triple play.    Ron Hansen did it for the O’s about 60 years ago.   Time for another.    I didn’t see that one.   

• Upvote 1

I’d like to see a no hitter/perfect game most of all. Seeing a player dominate the whole season long a la Davis & others HR title was awesome but something about that lightning in a bottle feat is attractive.

The coolest thing I have seen, being too young for WS, is the back-to-back-to-back homers to lead off the game a few years back. Think that’s the only time it has ever been done to lead off a game.

I was at a game where Ben McDonald carried a no hitter (might have been a one hitter) into the seventh or eighth.  I think it was against Toronto and the manager left Ben in too long and he might have taken the L. 

Very few things in baseball are more disappointing for me than a manager leaving a SP who has pitched wonderfully in a game too long to lose the W and take the L.  

On 4/2/2020 at 9:24 AM, hoosiers said:

I was at a game where Ben McDonald carried a no hitter (might have been a one hitter) into the seventh or eighth.  I think it was against Toronto and the manager left Ben in too long and he might have taken the L. 

Very few things in baseball are more disappointing for me than a manager leaving a SP who has pitched wonderfully in a game too long to lose the W and take the L.  

I was at this game, and the only thing separating me from an in-person no hitter was a 7th inning infield single by Glenn Davis.  Chuck Nagy then got Sam Horn to ground into a double play, and he finished off the last two innings without incident.

I would have liked to see this, from long-time Oriole catcher Wilbert Robinson:

On March 13, 1917 — After hearing that Gabby Street had caught a ball dropped off the Washington Monument in 1908, Brooklyn manager Wilbert Robinson brags that he could catch a ball dropped from an airplane at spring training, even though he is in his mid-50s and well above his playing weight. Robinson circles unsteadily under the descending spheroid. Instead, a grapefruit was secretly substituted and it explodes on impact with his glove. Once he feels the ooze, Robinson thinks it is blood and screams that he is dying, until he tastes the juice. He later concedes that he probably would have been killed if a real baseball had been dropped from the plane. Aviatrix Ruth Law dropped the grapefruit as outfielder Casey Stengel assumed culpability for the switch.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1