Jim Frey

Griffey

Roch mentioned him today:

* Former Orioles coach Jim Frey passed away on Sunday. He was 88.

The independent Somerset Patriots announced the news yesterday morning. Frey had served as the team’s vice chairman.

Manager Earl Weaver promoted Frey to his coaching staff in 1970. Frey served as hitting coach until the Royals hired him as manager prior to the 1980 season.

The Royals lost to the Phillies in the 1980 World Series and Frey was fired the following year during a strike-shortened season.

Frey guided the Cubs to the playoffs in 1984 and later became general manager, but I’ll always remember him as part of an Orioles coaching staff that at various junctures included George Bamberger, Billy Hunter, George Staller, Ray Miller, Cal Ripken Sr., Frank Robinson and Elrod Hendricks.

The Orioles won three American League pennants and the 1970 World Series with Frey on the staff. Just hearing his name brings back fond memories.

RIP.

Frey had a 14-year career as a minor league outfielder in the 50s and early 60s.  Hit .300 several times and walked a decent amount.  But never made it above AAA. 

He was the best hitter on the AA '57 Tulsa Oilers but never got so much as a September call up from the 77-77 Phillies.  Was also one of the better players on the '60 Rochester Red Wings, just before they became an O's affiliate.  Was teammates with 44-year-old Luke Easter*, who someone should write a book about, if they haven't already.  But despite using 47 players that year the Cards never called him up.

* Would most certainly be a HOFer if he'd been born 10 years later.  Had an .830 MLB OPS despite not getting a regular gig until he was 34 because segregation.  Spent nearly a decade playing AAA ball after his MLB career was over, and had a 40-homer season at the age of 41.  Had 345 professional homers after the age of 31, and only five of them before 33.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Mayo coming back from injury could have his debut in Baltimore delayed. 
    • Wasn't a huge fan of his swing for that last out today but coming in to pinch hit with 2 outs isn't easy.
    • Interpreting Malike's comment that way is theoretically possible, but I didn't take it that way--didn't feel that shade was being thrown on me at all. But thanks for the concern.
    • People are being a bit ridiculous with the holier than thou takes criticizing a little humor. I am not saying what happened couldn’t cause a significant concussion, but it would be a bit of a fluke if it did. Mullins barely hit him with the bat and he had a helmet on. The fact that it was in the back of the head did make him more vulnerable, but this wasn’t the type of thing you see and think he was lucky to be alive.  Guys have probably hit their heads harder on the top of the dugout or on the fence making catches.  And note this comes from someone whose son has suffered severe concussions and who is well aware of the dangers associated with them. In short, people need to lighten up a bit on guys like Roy.  It was a little gallows humor. 
    • Yeah, you read that wrong. LA2 is one of my favorite posters here and he knows it. No harm, no foul. If you aren't familiar with the game threads, it doesn't matter what the team is doing, people complain about it and people did make that same joke in the game thread long before Roy said it here. Game thread in summary - when the O's are not doing well, it's insufferable, when they are doing well, it's mildly less insufferable. There, that wasn't hard. I'd appreciate it if you didn't assume I'm throwing shade at people. I'll leave that up to you to do, you're really good at it.
    • Comp a. Like Gunnar, and beavers…
    • Wasn't Westburg a 2nd round draft pick?  It's a little early to judge last year's draft.
  • Popular Contributors